Plex question re naming.

Adam M

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New plex user here and am struggling to find my feet.

I asked a previous question about naming my programs, which did the trick perfectly, but this is an additional peculiarity of the way I am downloading and trying to watching before filing my downloads.

Part of my media is weekly downloads of US TV programs to a download folder specific to the site I use for sourcing my downloads.

My issue is, when new downloads land in the "new downloads" folder, Plex doesn't name them. They are categorised by which season of their particular program they relate to. When I subsequently place them in their filed location the metadata is spot on and everything is as it should be.

This means that with plex/infuse I have a folder called new downloads and it contains media called

Season 3
Season 5
Season 7

The file name would be useful at this point, but Plex/infuse do not show me that, they only list the above.

There file name in file explorer is typically name.name.SeasonXX.EpiosdeYY.mp4 or whatever.

Once I manually place them in their correctly named folder they are fine, but typically I need to watch them before doing that or I lose track of what I have and haven't watched.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!

Sorry, can't help you with Plex but I get my downloader to rename the files and put them in the correct folder. But of course that depends on what you are using to do download.

Computer programs won't rename something unless they have been designed to. Most will simply download the file with whatever name it has at the source. It's then up to you to either manually rename it or use some software that does it for you.

Computer programs won't rename something unless they have been designed to. Most will simply download the file with whatever name it has at the source. It's then up to you to either manually rename it or use some software that does it for you.
Renaming is one of the options in Plex, it uses TVDB metadata however it does appear the files have to be in the correct folder structure which is something the downloader will probably have to do.

Renaming is one of the options in Plex, it uses TVDB metadata however it does appear the files have to be in the correct folder structure which is something the downloader will probably have to do.

I think this is the issue. There is no correlation between the folder name (new downloads) and the files therein. If the files themselves are correctly located plex/infuse accesses the metadata perfectly happily.

Is there no way round this? It's ok at the moment because I know which titles Season 3, season 4 and season 17 relate to, but it won't remain easy for long.

I think this is the issue. There is no correlation between the folder name (new downloads) and the files therein. If the files themselves are correctly located plex/infuse accesses the metadata perfectly happily.

Is there no way round this? It's ok at the moment because I know which titles Season 3, season 4 and season 17 relate to, but it won't remain easy for long.
What are you using for downloading ?

Is it an automated download ?

Vuze.

not automated

Vuze.

not automated
Have a look at sonarr as a PVR, it has Vuze and Plex integration as well. It will organise and rename the files as required and download meta data as well.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom