Plex help required

Pavey

I have my home cinema at the end of the garden, which consists of a 4k projector, PS5, Sony amp. Ethernet runs the length of the garden back to the house.

Playing games on the 110" screen and PS5 is fantastic, as is watching films on Netflix, Amazon etc - just tried Once Upon A Time In Hollywood on Netflix as a test and the picture quality is pin sharp, as it should be.

In the house is a Mac Mini, network cable hardwired into the router, which is my Plex server. All is great when using Plex in the house, but in the cinema is a totally different affair. Terrible picture, as in 80's pirate movie camera quality.

What could be the reason for this? The files tested are 1080p MP4's. Could it be the Mac Mini not being up to the job, or the Plex app itself, or something else? Maybe a setting i need to check?

I'm of the thinking the network part of my set up is fine as the OUATIH on Netflix test confirmed, but happy to be proven wrong/enlightened!

Thanks in advance.

MBeeching

Presumably you haven't applied the Optimised Versions feature to on any of the content?

Server settings:
Plex Web > Home Settings > Enable 'Recommended' (Max)
Transcoder > Enable the 'Disable Video Stream Transcoding' option.

Player settings:
Video Quality > Adjust Automatically: Off > Home Streaming: Max
Open a video and check playback is set to Original Quality.

Sounds like a nice setup, I'd be surprised if the Mac Mini is the issue as I'm only using a weak laptop.

Last edited:

Pavey

Thanks. I found those settings but they aren't laid out exactly as you specified - could that be that you are using Windows and i am OSX? Hopefully i changed the correct ones!

I'm going to give it a try now and see if any change.

chenks

Suspended
You shouldn’t need to use optimised versions, so I wouldn’t be enabling anything like that

What actual device is playing the content? Ie what is the projector connected to

Pavey

The PS5. Surely that is up to the job?

Is it the player (the PS5) that does all the work or the server (the Mac Mini)?

chenks

Suspended
Are you sure the ps5 plex Client app is being seen as a local device and not a remote device?

That could explain the low bitrate output

The player should do most of the work, server only does work if transcoding is required

Last edited:

Pavey

I think i may be getting somewhere now. The server shows this:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 18.14.54.png

Now when i launch Plex on my Mac laptop i see that the connection to the server is Indirect. Googling shows that that limits the bandwidth to 2mbps. I'm presuming then that the PS5 is doing the same thing, so i guess there is a setting i need to adjust on the server to change this to Direct?

chenks

Suspended
Check the firewall on the Mac mini so that it isn’t blocking port 32400

Pavey

Plex help directed me to canyouseeme.org and it does say the port 32400 is not being blocked by my isp. I've opened/port forwarded this port in my routers settings.

On the Plex server settings next to the name of it i have a green padlock, which apparently is a good thing. The player on my laptop still says indirect though.

chenks

Suspended

Pavey

Fantastic, thanks a lot mate. If i now connect on my laptop using the ip followed by the port i then get a direct connection. The server is showing the file streaming at 39mbps.

Now how do i get the PS5 to do the same thing......

chenks

Suspended
If the ps5 is connected to the same lan as the server then it should see it locally and connect as appropriate

If it doesn’t then maybe check the ps5 network settings or the plex Client settings

Pavey

Had a look on the PS5 and it does indeed say connected Indirectly, but nowhere to allow it to connect through an ip address. It must be a server side setting i need. Will have a hunt.

Thanks for all your help mate.

chenks

Suspended
The plex forum is it best bet for support
It may be that ps5 Client is peculiar

MBeeching

Yeah there do appear to be a few network issues with the software.

PS5 Buffering Problem (Direct Stream /Direct Play not working)

and similarly...

Xbox Series X Plex app transcoding everything

Pavey

Yeah there do appear to be a few network issues with the software.

PS5 Buffering Problem (Direct Stream /Direct Play not working)

and similarly...

Xbox Series X Plex app transcoding everything

Wow, seems i am not alone, that's reassuring.

The plex forum is it best bet for support
It may be that ps5 Client is peculiar

Thanks. Went on the Plex forum as you suggested. Bit of an update today though if anyone is in the same boat, might be useful.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 06.58.30.png

chenks

Suspended
i'm not sure why chaning your external DNS would have any effect, as your playing files locally.

chenks

Suspended
not really.
in fact, changing DNS servers should have zero impact really on the issue you were having.

Pavey

Is very odd then, makes no sense.

However, i just got home and tried it on the PS5 in the cinema. Same again, changed the DNS and Plex works exactly as it should. Pin sharp 110" picture. No idea why it cured it but it has so that's me happy. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett