Plex Client Hardware Options

kudos2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise on suitable hardware for a reliable Plex client that plays HD Audio? Presumably this means the windows client? Or does any of the others do HD audio?

I see there are plenty of fudge options like an Android Dongle, RasPlex, Roku Media Player etc but I'm l'm looking for something which is quiet, fast and pref cheap of course.

Can anyone tell me what hardware/plex version they are using for their Plex client and if they would recommend it?

Cheers,
Kudos

111 views and no replies !

Well on the plex forums I managed to get one response:

----

Any graphics card which lists HD-Audio in its specification including most Intel HD integrated graphics >(sandy bridge HD300 and ivy bridge HD4000).

Must be running windows to achieve this.

----

Surely someone must be running a windows client in their living room on a small pc or something ?

Kudos

Hi mate, I subscribed to this with the hope to answer the same questions! I have used atv3 and ps3 and bluray player to get the results I wanted.

They all worked, but maybe it is me just expecting more? I know that with the amount of kit out there that will just work, I'm yet to find one bit of kit that performs flawlessly and with all the feature.

I wonder if plex will ever design and release a hardware box that does absolutely everything?

Old thread but I'm also after a decent client as my Apple TV is crap, my hacked nowTV box is wireless only, so what to use?

I'm still looking too.

As far as I can tell there is still no cheap hockey puck size box that will do the full fat high bit-rate mkv + HD Audio.

There is always something about to come out that you wait ages for but then there's something wrong with it/it doesn't do.

My current hardware of interest is:

ACER DT.SMBEK.006 Aspire Revo RL80 Nettop PC Celeron (887) 1.5GHz 4GB 750GB DVD Writer WLAN BT Windows 8 64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Intel BOXDC3217BY Barebone Mini-PC (Intel Core i3 3217U, Intel-HD): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Kudos

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I forgot about this.
I bought a mede8er from off here a while back and only just got round to playing with it.

Honestly, it has been a pita to setup and I haven't used this before, but actually spending a bit of time with it, it's proving to work very well indeed, with or without plex.

Did you guys ever manage this? I've been playing with my revo rl80 today, up until today I was using xbmc with plexbmc installed which was working but today I've gone back to the start and installed windows 7 with plex home theatre and it seems to be working well, I'm hoping to find a way to get from pht to love film instant easily (the reason for moving away from xbmc).

I've also be testing the app for lg smart TV's on the plex forum and so far that's handling everything I've thrown at it, if you have an lg smart TV it's worth a try and means no extra box at all

Hi,

What's the app called for the LG tv's called?

Cheers

incidentally after a weekend of tinkering with my revo I gave up with windows and PHT on it, it was hogging too much resource and playback of 1080p content was bumping the cpu usage off the chart and too many movies didn't seem to play properly. I did however come accross this thread on plex with PHT installed over openelec.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

In short, boots quick and straight in to PHT with no messing around, the only files that don't seem to work are the 4 movies ripped from old HD-DVDs but everything else seems fine. Yes the box now won't run lovefilm or netflix but honestly I find the quality of picture on my blu ray player is actually better than running it through windows was. Also it matches Simons LG app we are using on our bedroom TV so we have a consistent look throughout the house and that's boosting the approval rating from my girlfriend. I think I've finally got a plex set up working well, I need to look in to rasplex for the spare room but that's the least pressing concern at the moment.

I went down the HTPC route with a Mini ITX case with ASUS Z87 I Pro MB, i7 4770k (maybe overkill), 16GB RAM , SSD, and 5 x 4TB configured in windows storage mode all in Win 8 Pro OS.

Was initially going with Plex but didnt recognise all my media...PITA to configure.
Then came across Zappitti which was good with decent simple interface and enables you to select different audio streams including DTS MA.

Then came across Media Browser and Media Browser Theatre.
Its got a great interface BUT didnt allow me to select different audio streams including DTS MA so ended up going back to Zappiti for now.

Beauty of a Windows build HTPC is you can easily change to different softwares (IF you have the patience!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom