Plex and HDMI audio problems

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by RidleyDeckard, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I heard rumours about the last OSX update causing problems with HDMI audio about a week ago, but didn't really think much of it, as as far as I was aware my late 2010 Mac Mini was running plex fine with no audio problems. That is until today.
    Now every time I try to watch something with a stereo or mono soundtrack I get no audio at all. Rebooting the machine and starting again seems to rectify the problem, but as soon as you run anything in either Dolby Digital or DTS through it, mono and stereo disappear again.
    Is anyone else having this problem?

2. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I had the exact same fault. The answer is to replace the AppleHDA.kext file with the older version from a TM backup or from the 10.6.7 Combo update by manually downloading it and using Pacifist to locate the file and overwrite.

Unfortunately I was in process of housekeeping drive usage and reused the drive with my TM backup and so did not have the file to retrieve! Fingers crossed you have a valid old file to use!?!

Doing it the 10.6.7 route is the other option but it's not foolproof as I tried for ages with various options and then gave up, but something I had tried obviously worked, to my amusement!

Best thing is to do a Google on it and follow the instructions in the first few results as that's what I did and I will no doubt forget something if adding the process of the top if my head.

Let's hope Apple sorts this soon, but they must be busy with Lion at present...

3. I Am Custard

I Am Custard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +945
    I was having this issue with the digital out from my iMac. Really freaked me out!! I thought it was just me and my cabling, I was pleased to hear it wasn't just me and a software issue.

I have no fix for you. I ended up getting an appletv cos I could not be bothered to wait for the fix.

Lion is coming though I suppose....

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    is this only audio over HDMI, or does it affect optical out too? Thinking of getting either a new mini when they come out, or using my MBP as a plex front end (which is running 10.6.8). I use optical out on my current mini.

5. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Apparently it does affect optical output as well, as the Mac switches over to digital output when a digital source starts, but forgets to switch back.
    Typically I didn't have a back up to roll back to, however I discovered just putting the Mac to sleep does fix the problem, which is a far better option than rebooting, especially considering it can be done from the Plex menu.
    As for a Lion fix, apparently the same problem is in latest developer build. Thankfully, Apple have finally accepted there is a problem and a fix is on it way... At some point!

6. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    I was just about to post to say that I thought I read that it affected all forms of digital sound output.

The sleep option is a decent fix, but not exactly ideal.

7. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    It's good enough for me for now, I'll wait and see what the next update brings.

8. I Am Custard

I Am Custard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +945
    Yeah mine is using the optical so it is definitely both