Pleeeeease recomend me a HDMI DVD Player!!

S

SparkPlug

Im going a bit nuts here, i cant seem to find any stores that either:

1, know what im talking about
2, can show me a demo of any player sub £100

I know im in the sticks a bit, but this is truly crazy. :rolleyes:

At the moment, Im looking at either a Samsung DVDHD860 or a Toshiba SD360, both seem to have good reviews across the net...

All the player has to have is DIVX and Region selectable for my RCE discs - I want to replace my trusty £40 workhorse DK digital :D with something for my Samsung L32R74BDX, nothing too expensive as it will be replaced next yeat with an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

I would really, really appreciate your comments guys, especially those from people using either of the two im considering or something completely different i may have missed!

Thanks in advance :)

:lease:

Hello SparkPlug,

We have just bought a Toshiba sd360 (from John Lewis £80.00 with 2 year warrenty) It has component/HDMI/RGB SCART and plays every xvid/divx I have thrown at it so far. The picture quality through the RGB is superb, easily beating our previous players, I can't comment on the HDMI as we wont have an HDMI device for a few months yet, however others have been very satisfied with this machine's HDMI output.

Hiya sparkplug,
Ive got a samsung 860 connected to a tosh 32wlt66 via a £12 hdmi lead ( audiovisualine)
Had it for about 4 weeks and am very happy with it.
PQ is fantastic and you can pick one up for about £70 from amazon.
Cheers..........

Hi,

had the tosh sd360e for 2 weeks now, HDMI to my 37WLT66. The picture quality and sound is superb, however, it does have a tendency to skip/stall on some of my older dual layer DVD's.

Interested to know if this is me or a generic issue.

Pete

78271l said:
Hi,

had the tosh sd360e for 2 weeks now, HDMI to my 37WLT66. The picture quality and sound is superb, however, it does have a tendency to skip/stall on some of my older dual layer DVD's.

Interested to know if this is me or a generic issue.

Pete
If you look at the SD360 thread you'll find that a number of people, like me, had a similar problem with this machine, to the extent that Richer Sounds was reported to have stopped stocking it. I've now changed to a Sony DVP-NS76H, which costs a bit more, but has superior build quality and at least as good HDMI picture quality. You will see from the thread for this machine that it is almost universally praised.

If you can stretch the budget a little (£165 from CRTProjectors.co.uk) I can definately recommend the Oppo971.
Not tried any others so I have nothing to compare it to though.

SparKPlug said:
Im going a bit nuts here, i cant seem to find any stores that either:

1, know what im talking about
2, can show me a demo of any player sub £100

I know im in the sticks a bit, but this is truly crazy........

Have you tried Richer Sounds.....?
.Unless deperately busy, if you go in with a couple of DVDs they will Demo a DVD player on a display similar to yours especially if you show interest in a couple ( an budget and an expensive one:smashin: ) and book the demo.
Sadly, as soon as they know a "sub £100" player is your target they may not think a demo is worth the hassle as you might still walk away without it anyway( Im sure you can see thier POV;) )

I would gently advice ( with all due respect) that you increase your budget a bit to accomodate the Oppo, Sony even Denon .. , and continue to enjoy your DVD collection.
The "cheaper" HDMI players have been discussed at length and it seems the cheap chipsets used to impliment HDMI in them dont translate to better PQ at all with very few exceptions and they will not be found under £100

Also dont hold your breath waiting for the Hi Def players ( BD and HD DVD ) unless you just must upgrade as soon as the players hit the shops.

Am I right in thinking that there will hardly be a deluge of BD or HD-DVD software soon.:rolleyes:

Good luck:thumbsup:

senu said:
Have you tried Richer Sounds.....?
I would gently advice ( with all due respect) that you increase your budget a bit to accomodate the Oppo, Sony even Denon .. , and continue to enjoy your DVD collection.
The "cheaper" HDMI players have been discussed at length and it seems the cheap chipsets used to impliment HDMI in them dont translate to better PQ at all with very few exceptions and they will not be found under £100
Thanks senu, very good point The closest Richer sounds to me is about 1&1/2 hours away tho, many times I have wanted to visit...

Bolander said:
If you look at the SD360 thread you'll find that a number of people, like me, had a similar problem with this machine, to the extent that Richer Sounds was reported to have stopped stocking it. I've now changed to a Sony DVP-NS76H

Vinny74 said:
If you can stretch the budget a little (£165 from CRTProjectors.co.uk) I can definately recommend the Oppo971.

Thanks, Both are on my list now :) Although the Oppo is leading at the moment

Thanks to all that replied, I knew I should have come here sooner rather than later :smashin:

HI Pete,

I am considering this 37" tosh - but worried that I will see pixcellation on freeview / sky especially - as I will be only 2.5, 2.6 M (about 8-9ft max) from tv.

How close is yours to you?

Othewise may go for 32" !

tg zone

tgzone said:
HI Pete,

I am considering this 37" tosh - but worried that I will see pixcellation on freeview / sky especially - as I will be only 2.5, 2.6 M (about 8-9ft max) from tv.

tg zone

Go for the 37"Toshiba, it is reported to be good with SD.

My 32" Panasonic is so good, I wish I had gone for a bigger screen.

Sitting distances vary from 4 ft to 11 ft

tgzone said:
HI Pete,

tg zone

I sit a similiar distant away. Freeview is good when the signal is good, simple as. Not got Sky yet, so cant comment.

All in all, glad I chose the 37 over the 32. More of cinematic experience withour drowning our lounge.

Go on - you know you wanna!

Bolander said:
If you look at the SD360 thread you'll find that a number of people, like me, had a similar problem with this machine, to the extent that Richer Sounds was reported to have stopped stocking it. I've now changed to a Sony DVP-NS76H, which costs a bit more, but has superior build quality and at least as good HDMI picture quality. You will see from the thread for this machine that it is almost universally praised.

Cheers for this - funnily enough got mine from Richer Sounds in Leeds. The didnt seem to be having a conflict of interest in selling me the player!
Its hasnt got the point where it is cheesing me off to the extent that I return, but if it gets worse i will.

To be fair, it was a budget buy, awaiting to see what else comes out in the next couple of years (i.e HD etc). Ddint want to exceed £100

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom