Please tell me what you think of these speakers stands(for LS50w)

TheCrazy

So I desperately need a pair of speaker stands. I just got the kef LS50w and did not get a chance to get some stands due to a mix up that is not important. Just put them on some wooden chairs as a temporary solution and the sound is just terrible.

I found these on gumtree, they are apparently Atacama. I'd have to wait till Wednesday or Thursday otherwise, or something else on gumtree. Seller claims these are a rare model. Seems like its filled with sand. Might just pull the trigger.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 17.50.58.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 17.51.06.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 17.51.19.png

TheCrazy

i would replace those stumps with blue taack.
Will consider that for sure. Putting these speakers on a wooden chair would probably be reason for the lackluster sound right?

The LS50w already have rubber feet, which I'm wondering how will the interact with those stumps? Perhaps it would be better to have a flat top table.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The stands are fine, but as has been said, whip off the grommets and use blutac. Take any feet off the speakers too.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The point of blutac is that it holds the speakers to the stand plates very well.

Once dried it’s very hard to knock them off.

I’ve never used anything else.

password1

blue tack is best as it's cost effective, wont damage or leave a mark on your speakers and prevents the speakers from slipping that isolation pads won't do.

TheCrazy

The point of blutac is that it holds the speakers to the stand plates very well.

Once dried it’s very hard to knock them off.

I’ve never used anything else.
Do you think one collumn full of sand is enough to get the job done? The collumn also looks see through. Can't imagine that compares well with metal ones in terms of weight.

password1

its one large column rather than smaller columns do probably equivalent. they should be solid enough if they're fillable.

daytona600

£2000 Speakers will need good quality stands & cable rough guide 10/20% of the speakers
£200-400 for stands & cables
Kef make matching stands CD

password1

a concrete block in a casing made from palettes will probably ve more sturdy than ridiculously expensive stands. itll weight about the same as a few breeze block bricks

daytona600

Wonder why no one has ever made a concrete block & palette stand for £2000 speakers
market over the decades would be several million & your wife would love the look as well compared to the original matching Kef stands

shopping_1 (2).png

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Regardless of what some cable and stand ‘faith’ people tell you...

£5 a metre speaker cable is all that you need. Spending more will not bring you any benefit. At all.

And stands have to be the right height and not fall over. That’s all.

These are all you need if you don’t fancy the ones you linked to.

And they are delivered so it’ll save you scooting about.

They come in two shades of white and gloss black too, if that’s important.

Spending any more than this is a complete waste of your cash.

Fill the front column with children’s playsand (about £6 from Argos) and you’re off.

Don’t forget the blutac :smashin:

daytona600

£400 no suggested a pair at half the price

rccarguy

They look pretty wobbly and light weight like most speaker stands.

Picked up some target r stands and they don't make them like that anymore.

Matt 0987654321

Standard Member
I do think there is a price to pay for good design and aesthetic appeal. Not all steels are equal either nor paint finishes and spikes or feet. If they are possibly made in the UK or other countries with higher costs and lower order quantities, £400 is reasonable if not even more. Having said all that, it’s ‘only’ £240 for the KEF stands.

TheCrazy

They look pretty wobbly and light weight like most speaker stands.

Picked up some target r stands and they don't make them like that anymore.
They look woobly because they are on carpets and have huge spikes, you just can't see! You cant use them without feet, I need to order feet compatible for hard wood floors. Right now I have em on rugs and towels.

I hope with the correct feet they are not woobly, but they are for me at the moment. But they sound just fudgeing incredible now. I put em on the stands, changed the DSP to stands and it sounds just amazing.

But I did expect them to be a bit heavier. I assumed having the collumn full of sand should give it the sound isolating properties that are desired.

Might spring for another pair, I just needed one immediately. I think Ebay and Gumtree have all sorts for far cheaper than new ones.

TheCrazy

Regardless of what some cable and stand ‘faith’ people tell you...

£5 a metre speaker cable is all that you need. Spending more will not bring you any benefit. At all.

And stands have to be the right height and not fall over. That’s all.

These are all you need if you don’t fancy the ones you linked to.

And they are delivered so it’ll save you scooting about.

They come in two shades of white and gloss black too, if that’s important.

Spending any more than this is a complete waste of your cash.

Fill the front column with children’s playsand (about £6 from Argos) and you’re off.

Don’t forget the blutac :smashin:
Nice, I kinda thought as much. Yes, I need Blutac. These things are a disaster waiting to happen.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
They look woobly because they are on carpets and have huge spikes, you just can't see! You cant use them without feet, I need to order feet compatible for hard wood floors. Right now I have em on rugs and towels.

I hope with the correct feet they are not woobly, but they are for me at the moment. But they sound just fudgeing incredible now. I put em on the stands, changed the DSP to stands and it sounds just amazing.

But I did expect them to be a bit heavier. I assumed having the collumn full of sand should give it the sound isolating properties that are desired.

Might spring for another pair, I just needed one immediately. I think Ebay and Gumtree have all sorts for far cheaper than new ones.
The joy of tripods. They can’t be wobbly on a hard flat surface.