Please tell me I'm being a muppet...

monkeytastic

Standard Member
Reaction score
...I have had the TV Drive for a few months and have generally been very happy with it. Yesterday, I was watching a film I'd recorded, and it came up with a message saying that a programme can't be recorded while one is being viewed. Surely this isn't right? I know with Sky Plus (even the old one where you can only watch 1 channel and record another) that you can watch a programme you've recorded while recording another one. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong, or else TvDrive is no better than a VHS (ie you need to plan watching recordings around an evening where you don't need to record anything.) and I'll be tempted to get rid. I'm not sure I've had this message before though so I'm hoping it's a one off. Help please!

sure u can record one while watching one..
ive done it many times....

infact ive proberly watched a recording..... while its been recording 2 things on different channels.

The TVDrive has 3 tuners, 1 for live tv and the other 2 for recording.

You should be able to watch and record what you like unless your disk is full or you are overlapping too many recordings.

Don't forget that a lot of BBC stuff is available for 7 days in Teleport, to all subscribers. Just in case you have missed something from BBC.

I was watching Wolf Creek on Sunday night, and only Curb Your Enthusiasm (so no high def to complicate) was due to be recorded. I had 47 hours free so I just don't understand it. The message was clear, and Curb Your Enthusiasm didn't record. Very strange..

LOL - Just had the same message!

...wasn't recording anything at all!

Now that's weird!

I get this a lot. It happens when you press the record button while viewing a recording. I often do it by accident when fast forwarding through adverts :)

What really bugs me is why you can't record delay tv??? I mean its already stored on your hard drive. It just seems ridiculous to me?! Also if there are 3 tuners you can record two programs and watch another in delay tv (essentially you are recording 3 things) Why can't you just record three things i don't know. It just seems silly.

I'm not convinced delaytv is actually stored on your hd, I think it might be buffered in memory, otherwise there's no point limiting it to 80mins. Still you should be able to dump it to hd...

def said:
I'm not convinced delaytv is actually stored on your hd, I think it might be buffered in memory, otherwise there's no point limiting it to 80mins. Still you should be able to dump it to hd...

Imagine how much RAM you'd need to store 80 minutes of buffered high def tv!!! Trust me its being stored on the hard drive, thats why it REALLY bugs me that you can't save it.

Often i'll leave the tele on and walk in half way through a program and want to record the whole thing. Or i might decide part way through watching something that the missus might be interested in watching it later. You SHOULD be able to record delay tv.

hm, I'm 99% sure you don't get a 79min buffer for hi-def, I believe it's only 20 mins. The recording times quoted for the TVDrive are for "normal" content. So I still believe it's buffered to memory.

def said:
hm, I'm 99% sure you don't get a 79min buffer for hi-def, I believe it's only 20 mins. The recording times quoted for the TVDrive are for "normal" content. So I still believe it's buffered to memory.

your right that you can only get 20 mins of High Def content on and 90 mins of standard def. but it is becasue the DelayTV partition on the Hard drive is only about 3 GB.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom