Please suggest a good speaker package for the Denon 2700

pppp1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together a new system for a relatively small room (4m x 4.70m). I'm thinking a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 system with the Denon 2700 AVR. I'm looking for suggestions for a speaker package with bookshelf or compact floorstander speakers. Local dealer has suggested something from KEF Q, B&W 600 AE, Q ACOUSTICS 3000i and SVS PRIME.

Performance with movies is the priority. I want something that will be easy for the Denon to drive and a great centre speaker for dialogue. Also I don't know if I should go for 1 or 2 subwoofers since I know the Denon offers the option to have two. I'm just afraid the room will be small for two.

Suggestions for good in ceiling speakers also welcome.

Thanks.

Do you already have X2700H? If not then i would consider buying X3700H straight away due to better Audussey version as you get the dual sub eq so individual level/delay set for each. The X2700H will see two subs as one and you have same distance=delay for each, may not be issue if placed equidistant from listener, but is that really going to be most optimal in your room... Also there is quite big difference how much and where the correction is done (XT vs. XT32).

If you would buy bundle deal = speakers and receiver together you get best pricing. That would mean you end up paying 650£ for the X3700H as normally it`s 1100£. But i`m afraid you already have gone and bought X2700H. :( You can buy these bundle deals without the package woofers which is important!

It`s tough to say which of those speakers you would like best, but looking the center channels i would put Kef Q650c and SVS Prime Centre ahead of B&W/QA and that would drop these two out for me. In reviews Kef has been step up from QA 3000i range (Q150 vs 3020i). B&W has brighter sound which is not for everyone and the new S2 model is expensive, however the earlier gen 606 is available for 450£/pr at PT and HTM6 is on sale too. Kef has the advantage of UniQ coaxial drivers which many loves (single point source, good imaging, wide listening sweetspot etc.). Without listening i would see Kefs (Q350 & Q650c and Q150 surrounds) as safe pick. If demo is possible then i would want to hear the SVS Primes side by side to Kefs.

We have members with dual subwoofers in ~3x2 sized rooms so your room size definitely isn`t issue! You would be suprised and probably little shocked if i would show what type refridgerator sized woofers member has in similar room to yours.

You didn´t mention anything about the total budget so how much you could spend for subwoofers, either one now and then add 2nd later or right away duals. Quality stuff starts around 500£ for the models i would think for your room. So for two you would be spending 1-1,1k£ minium. We have members who have spent 5k£ for woofers in similar size room to yours so the sky is the limit regarding what type of experience you want.

I assume you live in UK, correct that if not.

I would also throw Focal Chora in to list. Look few threads back and you find member who just listened them and Kef Qs. It was close call but picked Focals. They are very good speakers from France! Big center channel, no downsizing.

The low depth On-Wall surrounds are more expensive though.

I would also throw Focal Chora in to list. Look few threads back and you find member who just listened them and Kef Qs. It was close call but picked Focals. They are very good speakers from France! Big center channel, no downsizing.

The low depth On-Wall surrounds are more expensive though.
Many thanks for your detailed answer. I haven't bought the 2700, will definitely consider the 3700.

Will focus on KEF and SVS then. Would 2 SVS SB-1000 Pro be good enough?

Many thanks for your detailed answer. I haven't bought the 2700, will definitely consider the 3700.

Will focus on KEF and SVS then. Would 2 SVS SB-1000 Pro be good enough?

If you watch lot of action/scifi/horror flicks i would pick the PB1000 Pro rather (x2) as it will have so much more output in deep bass frequencies and will dig deeper, just overall more impact if you crave that type of experience. Keep in mind that you can also run it sealed although i doubt that is needed. You can get -10% discount for SVS subwoofers from few dealers if you mention that you are AVForums member. Perhaps even greater deal if you buy everything from one shop! Just make sure you get some type of bundle deal with the receiver. The price should drop big time!

if ur doing dual subs, buy a minidsp2x4hd and a umik1 to extract the best possible bass performance from ur gear.

Thanks, very helpful as always but you're posting links to larger well known chains and it's not helping the small local family independents who may be struggling. I know one of my local hifi businesses has shut down.

I'm putting together a new system for a relatively small room (4m x 4.70m). I'm thinking a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 system with the Denon 2700 AVR. I'm looking for suggestions for a speaker package with bookshelf or compact floorstander speakers. Local dealer has suggested something from KEF Q, B&W 600 AE, Q ACOUSTICS 3000i and SVS PRIME.

Performance with movies is the priority. I want something that will be easy for the Denon to drive and a great centre speaker for dialogue. Also I don't know if I should go for 1 or 2 subwoofers since I know the Denon offers the option to have two. I'm just afraid the room will be small for two.

Suggestions for good in ceiling speakers also welcome.

Thanks.

The room is a good size - but i'd be wary about running PB-1000 without some sort of a demo first.
Yes they go lower, but they can quickly over power everything else in your system :)

First things first - have you a budget in mind (including cables etc) for your system?
The 3700 is a great shout - you can go up and up the scale however so think about the system today and maybe where your journey will take you. E.G. consider an amp with pre outs so you have the option in due course to add power amps in etc.

Have you heard any of the brands named above? Have you looked at others too (e.g. the DALI Oberon 5 or 7 5 channel systems)? You can absolutely replace system-defined subwoofers with those that are more dedicated (e.g. the SVS or the REL HT series).

Note - 1st October sees some significant increases on the SB/PB 1000 Pro too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom