Please settle an argument

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by bobjebb, Aug 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. bobjebb

bobjebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A rapid response much appreciated!

I have no Sky. A regular small Sharp Aquos telly in the kitchen, and my new (lovely) Samsung LE37R next door. Both are fed only by regular coax from the aerial.

The sharp functions normally, the Samsung, although leagues ahead in terms of quality has signal problems, ie freezing jumping as you would a poor sky signal. There is also a 'delay' comapred to the Sharp.

Why is this? Something to do with the Samsung being 'digital' (freeview included)?

One mate says thats the reason (conversion of 'bits') another said its a signal coming from the same place, the roof! in both cases so they should be the same!

Thanks for your answers and how I might eliminate this signal issue on my nice new TV?

Ta!

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    The delay is caused by the time taken to do the required MPEG decoding of the Freeview digital signal ; the technical term is decoding or processing "latency".
    There will also be some encoding latency at the studio end for the Freeview signal chain.
    As for the poorer picture, this could be due to a poor decoder or too weak a Freeview signal.

CHris Muriel, Manchester

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    From the sounds of things, the Sharp only has an analogue tuner, and you are using the Samsung's digital tuner to view TV. The picture break-up is because you don't have a good digital signal in your area. (or your aerial isn't very good for it)

The delay is always going to be there - Freeview is delayed over analogue. (and HD has an even bigger delay)

You should be able to switch over to the analogue tuner on the Samsung somehow, but it probably won't look too good on a screen that size. I'd probably check that your area is supposed to be able to get Freeview (it could be that you're just picking up a very weak signal from somewhere else) and if you are meant to be able to get it, I'd look at upgrading / repositioning the aerial.

4. bobjebb

bobjebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    great, thanks for that. I am in a Freeview area, but am moving shortly to a non freeview area so will have sky again.

So this symptom will happen even watching terrestrial channels on the Samsung?

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Freeview is terrestrial, it's just digital terrestrial. If you switch over to analogue (there'll be a button on your remote somewhere) you'll get the same picture as you have on the Aquos.

6. Prof

Prof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A "non freeview area" does not mean that you will definitely not get freeview. I have installed lots of aerials in "non freeview" areas, and most of them provide good, reliable freeview. If you have done a freeview postcode check, it is only a guide.

7. hamster

hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    And a pessimistic guide at that!