Please sense-check my PVR-buying strategy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PJJK, Oct 3, 2004.

1. PJJK

PJJK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You people have sure given me plenty to think about! :smashin: In the last 24 hours of reading this forum I think I've learned a lot and have changed my plans. Could you please sense-check this and tell me if I've overlooked any better or alternative options:

What I have today:
    - Philips 32PW9618 widescreen TV,
    - Toshiba SD-330EBS DVD and CD player
    - Sony HT-DDW750 Home Theatre System
    - Sony Digital Camcorder
    - No Freeview or cable or satellite, nor interest in getting them... the 4 terrestrial analogue TV channels are enough for us, plus rented or bought DVDs
    - A very old VCR, relegated to the "kids" TV upstairs, mainly used to playback kids Videos

What I want to achieve:
    - High quality TV recording/ playback for convenience, occasionally for long term storage
    - Easy programming, ideally with an online program guide
    - As few "boxes" as possible
    - Ability to transfer and archive some VCR footage
    - Ability to edit Camcorder footage and write out to DVD (also to backup Camcorder footage to DVD)

What I was going to do:
    - Buy a Panasonic DVD recorder with Hard Disk (DMRE95), but then I read in this forum about the lack of an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) in the UK version of the Panasonic; also how in mid 2005 we can expect significant new PVRs with built-in digital tuners and EPG along with much larger hard disk capacity. All this made me stop in my tracks.

So what I plan to do now:
    - Buy a Humax PVR8000T with (80GB disk) for about £130 which satisfies the main convenience TV recording plus EPG for now. Wait until mid 2005 then get a high end DVD recorder with all "bells and whistles", as which point the Humax can serve the kids' TV. I will probably upgrade my home computer about the same time so the camcorder editing will be sorted. I can live without a DVD recorder for another 9 months.

Have I missed a better option? Cheers

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    That sounds like a reasonable strategy. The influx of DVB equipped DVD recorders will bring EPGs as standard to DVD recorders in the next 6 months or so. The first decent model is likely to be the Toshiba RDXS34 (due March).

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I don't understand the point made inthe original post about not wanting sattelite or freeview, but then going on about getting a recorder with an epg and program guide.

Surely this is only available via sattelite or freeview! and the equipment that offers this must be using freeview as a minimum?

In any event there is really no point in using a widescreen tv and only having analogue tv channels. (OK I know you can use it for DVD's). The digital version of the analogue channels are the best source of widescreen material for recording at present. Whats the point in recording the 4:3 version when widescreen is usually available and you have the set to display it on.

4. PJJK

PJJK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak!

Hi Ken, until I read through this forum, I did not realise that an Electronic Progamme Guide would realistically require Freeview or Sky (the Panasonic specs only mentioned "To use this function, your DVD recorder must be connected to a TV antenna and able to receive a terrestrial broadcast that includes EPG data in the transmission". As for:

- "The digital version of the analogue channels are the best source of widescreen material for recording at present" - excellent.

- "there is really no point in using a widescreen tv and only having analogue tv channels" Well I've been perfectly happy with my widescreen and the analogue channels (and DVDs of course!) so I guess I'll be even happier with Freeview's digital version. :)

5. stuartdcodd

stuartdcodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EPG Guide IS available via terrestrial TV on the Philips HDRW720!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    But unforuntately it falls over on all the other things he wants to do:
    - Archive from VHS (due to no TBC)
    - Edit (DVD+ only manages inaccurate editting)
    - Occasional archive from TV (no DVD-R so requires a less compatible format)
    And as the future of Guideplus is far from secure coupled with the reliability problems of all Philips machines then that is one to avoid.