Please review and comment on my 1st build

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Skaughtie, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Skaughtie

Skaughtie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been lurking and reading for the last couple weeks and am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first build. This is for my basement bar/game room which has a bar area and a pool table area which will be run on separate channels. It will also control the music in the kitchen and outside so in the end it will run to 6 separate areas of my house. I think I will be running the audio out into a receiver/amplifier which will be used for zonal control unless there is a better way to do it.

Primarily this will be for music but I want to make sure that I can get decent video running to the flatscreen for when people want to pull up youtube or show their own videos.

Additionally, I will be building a touch screen that will be used as a wall mounted jukebox.

Finally, I included an additional hard drive that I am going to use as a network backup.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

AMD A6-5400K, Silverstone PS08B (Black) - Home Theater < $500 - Skaughtie's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

Thank you

2. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    What OS are you planning on using? I assume this going on the (32Gb) SSD which seems quite small.

3. mr bobajob

mr bobajob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you looking to get a MAME cabinet too. I've got one, and it's great for reliving those Games Arcade moments. I am assuming here that you are old enough to have those sort of memories.

Your system looks adequate. Don't know whether you'd be better off with a faster CPU though, as you're going to all that trouble.

4. Skaughtie

Skaughtie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure on the OS yet. I am running Win 7 on my laptop and desktop so would probably stick with that unless there is a solid reason to switch to something else.

I will be building a MAME cabinet but not sure yet on when I will get to it and where I will put it. I attached a sketch of the area I have to work with.

How fast a CPU is necessary if I am just looking for media and old-school games and not the new high end games?

Attached Files:

5. MadScientist

MadScientist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I would up the SSD capacity to at least 64Gb if you decide on win 7 to ensure you have room for a reasonable number of applications

6. mr bobajob

mr bobajob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My MAME system is, and was originally just for the old skool games, but I soon learned that it would be nice to have the option to play 32bit games aswell. For instance, if you are familiar with Mad Dog, then this would be playable with a 32bit high performance computer, but I sadly cannot play the MAME version with my current set up. I do have it on a CD though, which I can play effectively.

If you are going to run any OS later than Windows XP, you're going to need a lot of operating power just for the OS.

7. Skaughtie

Skaughtie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So bump the SSD to 64 or 128 and increase the CUP power? How big a cpu do I need to be running? Also, is the on board video good enough or do I need to add a video card? For that matter, since the primary focus of the machine is to be used for music do I need to upgrade the sound card if I am running to a reciever?

8. mr bobajob

mr bobajob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a quick look for some suggestions on CPU for running MAME32, and people are now talking about MAME64. How things move on, mind you it's been two years since I last looked at this.

Mame processor upgrade?

With regard to your power questions, it's entirely up to you. It depends how much you want to do. Obviously, MP3 playing is not going to be asking a lot from your CPU.