Please recommend speaker cable - is it really worth spending on?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shimmie, May 4, 2007.

1. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just invested in a brand new system, my first ever home cinema set-up. I'm totally new to this, and I need to get speaker cables.

I've bought the following so far:

Panasonic 42PX70 plasma TV
    Sony STR-DA1200ES receiver
    Oppo DV-981HD disc player
    Q Acoustics 1030 floorstanding front speakers
    Q Acoustics 1000C centre speaker
    Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom rear speakers

Plus an Atacama Equinox AV stand for the TV etc., and Atacama Nexus stands for the rear speakers.

I've got a QED Qunex P75 coaxial digital lead for connecting the Oppo player to the Sony receiver, and a QED Qunex OT optical lead for connecting my NTL Digital box to the Sony receiver.

Now I have to get appropriate speaker cables to connect it all together. I've already spent more than planned on everything (!), so I'm wondering if anyone can say whether it really is worth spending a lot on speaker cable for this kind of set-up, or is it overkill without bringing significant / noticeable improvements to the sound?

I've read that the QED Silver Anniversary XT cable is excellent, but its not cheap, considering I'll probably need about 30 metres or thereabout of cable, plus the plugs. Am also considering bi-amping the front speakers.

I've read about the "spend 10% on your cables" rule. But is it actually worth spending that kind of money on cables? If so I'll go ahead, but only if it actually makes a difference. Including the couple of interconnects mentioned above, I've spent about £2500 on everything thus far.

I realise this comes down to personal opinion, but any opinions or advice would be very, very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The general rule is spend 10% on cable, go for a branded 1.5mm2 cable or above and you won't go far wrong. Anything from QED should be fine, wouldn't spend more than £2/meter or so, you will struggle to tell a difference in the real world.

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    The QED cable is excellent and after spending all that money what you do not want to do is kill off your system with cheap interconnects. If the budget is getting tight then I have found that the Gale speaker cable from Richer Sounds to be good. Try this one http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=GALE-SYMPHONY-400
    P.S. Speaker cable does make the difference to quality, I have learned many a hard leason (cash) over the years.

4. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont claim to be an expert, but one compromise could be to buy decent cbale for your front 3 speakers (10m or whatever), and cheaper for the other 15 m for the rears- the front sound quality obviously matters more. At least that's what I did (QED SA XT and QED micro or something)