Please recommend: small, cheap, wall mounted stereo speakers

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to put a pair of speakers on my daughter's bedroom wall.

Ideally they'll be reasonably small, sound alright, and not cost a lot. Second hand is fine. I already have amps.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Got this Sony HT-IS 100
My Tv room is 6x5mt
Very small speakers wall mountable and good sound as well
Discontinued from Sony so you could get a great deal on prize
IMG_1481097592.822578.jpg

IMG_1481097602.621742.jpg

IMG_1481097612.622635.jpg

Holy ****, I wasn't thinking that small! Presumably a pair of those couldn't do much without a sub?

I was thinking more like the size of Sonos Play 1 or so.

They got amp and sub
I think you can get them for around £100 with the sub/amp

I believe the Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf, which are very well rated, are about £200/pr. I think they have a Keyhole attachment in the back for wall mounting. These are speakers that do well against the wall.

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Just about any speakers can be wall mounted if you have the right kind of bracket, but the Zensor 1 will mount with a single solid screw.

DALI ZENSOR 1 - The ideal all-round stereo loudspeaker

See photos.

If you want to go smaller, then consider the Dali Zensor Pico at $159/pr -

DALI ZENSOR PICO - compact all-round bookshelf speaker

Dali Pico Speaker (Pair) - Superfi

If you want to buy some type of wall mounting bracket, these Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 are exceptional speakers for only £99/pr -

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

How small do they have to be? How much money do you have to spend? What is the AMP?

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks
I believe the Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf, which are very well rated, are about £200/pr. I think they have a Keyhole attachment in the back for wall mounting. These are speakers that do well against the wall.

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Just about any speakers can be wall mounted if you have the right kind of bracket, but the Zensor 1 will mount with a single solid screw.

DALI ZENSOR 1 - The ideal all-round stereo loudspeaker

See photos.

If you want to go smaller
Yep, smaller and cheaper. For example, the Sonos Play 1s are 16cm x 12 x 12, those Dalis are 27 x 23 x 16 which is quite a bit bigger than the Play 3s.

then consider the Dali Zensor Pico at $159/pr
They look a bit more like it, still quite a lot bigger than a pair of Sonos though.

How small do they have to be? How much money do you have to spend? What is the AMP?
Amp maybe something like a Cambridge Audio A5 (I’ve got a few amps). The new price of those Picos is reasonable. Second hand would be fine as well, I just don’t know what I’m looking for yet.

Size wise, something like the Play 1s would be ideal. I figured that since they’ll be passive that could be an option (the Play 1s having amps in).

Thanks for the help.

Thanks. Have you heard them? They look a bit small :) They're less than half the size of the Play1. Although the Play1 is small, I know people like the sound, so I thought I'd try and get something similar, but passive and cheap instead of active and with the sonos wifi system expense.

These are usually well reviewed and this is a good price. They usually sell for around £100:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Contro...f=aag_m_pw_dp?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2OMTXKFADW0PO

Don't know where Richer Sounds get their dimensions from but each speaker is 9" x 6" x 5.5", according to the JBL UK website. Available in white, black & silver. From what I've read, they're a good compromise between size, performance and cost. Never heard them though.

Control One | 2-Way, 100mm (4") Bookshelf Speaker

For your daughter's room? Disadvantage is they can play damn loud, evidently.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The smallest reasonably good speaker at the best possible price would be the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for about £40/pr, though the original retail on them was considerably higher than that.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.0Black Speakers Per Pair

You have to weigh size vs performance. Sure you can get tiny 1 inch speakers, just don't expect them to be very loud, or very good, or to have much impact.

You can only go just so small before the speakers stop doing what you want done.

Which brings up another point, what is it you want done? You mention SONOS which are active Network Speakers, but you implied that you wanted straight forward passive speakers and an amp.

So, what will be the source of the sound for this amp and speakers?

Give us a working budget?

If you have any special requirement, you need to explain them to us?

The Devil is always in the Details.

Steve/bluewizard

These are usually well reviewed and this is a good price. They usually sell for around £100:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Contro...f=aag_m_pw_dp?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2OMTXKFADW0PO

Don't know where Richer Sounds get their dimensions from but each speaker is 9" x 6" x 5.5", according to the JBL UK website.
Me likey.

Available in white, black & silver.
Oo, white please! Only seems to be black at the low price :(

From what I've read, they're a good compromise between size, performance and cost.
Looks like the sort of thing I'm after - although if choices were endless, I'd perhaps go a touch smaller.

For your daughter's room? Disadvantage is they can play damn loud, evidently.
Mmm, I might not be thinking straight here :D

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The smallest reasonably good speaker at the best possible price would be the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for about £40/pr, though the original retail on them was considerably higher than that.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.0Black Speakers Per Pair
Thanks - they're a similar size to the JBL Control 1, so not bad.

You have to weigh size vs performance. Sure you can get tiny 1 inch speakers, just don't expect them to be very loud, or very good, or to have much impact.

You can only go just so small before the speakers stop doing what you want done.

Which brings up another point, what is it you want done?
Indeed.

Well she loves her music, but she's only 10 and there's only so much quality she needs. I don't think it matters if she's short of bass. What I think would be good (and of course I could be wrong) is to be able to give her stereo sound, so the music sounds a bit like music. Her room is cluttered with the sort of rubbish children have, but the wall opposite her bed is clear, and it makes sense to put speakers there. But small would be good, she's not a bachelor.

I think we can safely say 1" speakers just aren't going to cut it. But I don't think we need to go big, as reading people rave about their Sonos makes me more than sure the Play 1s would be good enough. The problem with the Play 1 is the price. I was also put off by having to run power cables around the walls, but I think that could be solved.

You mention SONOS which are active Network Speakers, but you implied that you wanted straight forward passive speakers and an amp.

So, what will be the source of the sound for this amp and speakers?

Give us a working budget?
I was thinking of a Chromecast Audio, that she can run from her tablet / phone (that's the phone she gets in a year's time). I have a spare Amp, and thought I could try and get a passive, non networked version of the Play1, and run thinish speaker cables.

Budget - well if I can get some speakers that sound ok for between £40 and £70 (just using the examples above), then that would be sweet.

If you have any special requirement, you need to explain them to us

The Devil is always in the Details.

Steve/bluewizard
Cheap passive speakers a similar size to Play1s, that I can mount on the wall. Bonus points for white/silver/purple :)

Many thanks everyone for all the help, much appreciated :)

Q Acoustics 2010i are also available in white but are quite deep.

Thanks. Have you heard them?
No, I'm afraid not. Just noticed them when researching speakers and they are well reviewed by the buyers. A few people are suggesting JBL's. I have a JBL surround system and it is 15 years old and still going strong so they are definitely built to last.

Q Acoustics 2010i are also available in white but are quite deep.
I want to avoid deeper units.
No, I'm afraid not. Just noticed them when researching speakers and they are well reviewed by the buyers. A few people are suggesting JBL's. I have a JBL surround system and it is 15 years old and still going strong so they are definitely built to last.
Looking at the minx mini reviews, I get the feeling they really need a sub.

JBLs are top of my list - silver ones with wall brackets are available for £40ish on ebay, but collect only, and now where I live. I think I'll keep an eye out for the right set on ebay and get those.

They're more than twice the size of the Sonos, but I can't seem to find anything more comparable.

Just seen these little things:

$40 and not awful

But also not available here.

EDIT - Apparently they're rubbish

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom