• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please recommend me some speakers to go with my new Eclipse 5425E - Morel Pulse? IMD?

Peteruk

Standard Member
Hey all!

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the audio in my 2000 reg Ford Fiesta. It's hard to stick a budget on this - my previous home amp DIY project was done on a value rational - while some components were a tad on the pricey side, I only included them if I could warrent their use, and even then, they were aquired from the cheapest of the cheap venders.

I have been basing a car-audio set-up on the intention of replicating my HiFi system at home. Admitedly, this may be naive, as cars are no doubt very different enviroments, but, I use a custom-made tripath amplifier, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card and two stereo Monitor Audio BR2 speakers.

The short of it is - I've never found the need for a subwoofer in my home, so is it fair to say I'm not likely to feel the need for one in a car? I'm assuming, but when sound dynamics are considered, could well be wrong.

After a great deal of research and consulting of various forums, I have aquired an Eclipse CD5425E which should suffice for a reasonably priced high-quality source. I now, however, need to locate some suitable speakers.

Continuing on my marathon of research, I am quite taken by the Morel Pulse 6x9 very highly reviewed here and again, albeit it with slightly less scrutiny at here. It seemed from what I had read, I was unlikely to find a more suitable sounding nor a more better value speaker for the money. While £150 wasn't cheap, it was acceptable.

However, in my attempts to find suitable vendors, I stumbled upon some Morel 6.5 Components being sold near me used for less than the 6"-9" were new. Problem is, I am unsure whether I should go for them - they have a smaller frequency range, I cannot find any exact reviews praising them and I had been advised using door-speakers was generally a poorer-performing way to go. But yet, on the upside, they are being sold new for considerably more money, so surely they cannot be worse? Then again I don't want to make any costly assumptions, as they are of course a different style of speaker.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this situation, and any other suggestions/comments/recommendations on what I have already nabbed and what I am considering, especially on the Morel dilemna. Perhaps I could buy the used 6.5s for the front, then maybe purchase a 6x9 for the back shelf later?

Of course, if you feel these are actually a completely overhyped product, please feel free to say so and put forward other ideas. I had heard Image Dynamics were good for components, but I am currently attempting to hunt down the link I had to a review for one of their sets.

I could use your vast sea of experience, hardened knowledge and steaming recommendations to help bring hifi audio to my car! Hopefully before someone snaps up those used 6.5s :)

Many thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Peter

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom