1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend me an AV amp that can do the following for around £1k

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thudspud, Nov 7, 2004.

1. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey

Having a large case of upgraditis lately!!! Just bought a plasma (Panny PW6), new speakers, Mission 783 Fronts, 78C centre, 77DS surrounds and a V6AS Sub and wanted to change my aging Sony STR-DB930, Managed to get a very good deal on a Sony STRDA5000ES but am not impressed by the quality, Lots of Hissing at high levels and nowhere near as powerful as the old 930 despite the specs saying it is 40wpc more!!!!

Anyway, I haven't really kept upto date with the AV amp market so not sure what to go for but here is a list of things it MUST do.

Come in Black (That rules out the Pioneer AX5i I could have got cheap :( )

Minimum of 2 component video inputs, Preferably 3

Time delay for Lip Sync Issues

Assignable Digital and Video Inputs

8 Inputs (DVD, CD, Minidisc, VCR, Freeview, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)

Ability to rename inputs, I understand the Denon 3805 can't do this, Might be able to live without this feature though!!!

Don't mind spending a bit more if I can get something extra special!

The system is used for Music and Movies in a 50/50 split

Many thanks

Chris

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

I would consider the Yamaha 2400-2500 or the Denon 3805 which are both superb amps and should be alot better than the sony, i still can't get over the problem with sony amps makeing that hissing noise :rolleyes:

John

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi TS

Im not positive of this but the Arcam at £1300 may rename inputs, but at a cost! It has fans inside which can be noisey, a remote from hell and I think it has fireware issues, oh and NO auto-setup but it does come in black!

The Denon has all the things you want bar rename and at about £780, maybe less if you shop. Yammy are very good too, not ever heard of any issues. have a good forum search.

CH

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've had an AVR300 on loan this weekend from my friendly local dealer. Have to say I quite liked the remote and would (seriously) consider letting it replace my Pronto Pro. Never heard the fans (indeed I believe some early units had issues, but that's been sorted on production models), and no firewire issues because ... no firewire :) Maybe that's the issue you're referring to ;)

It's also got 3 component inputs.

Ok, so the demo was largely positive for me - I really like the concessions to stereo playback in the bass management, an important consideration if stereo performance is a high priority (and for me, that's ruled out all but the Yam, Rotel and Arcam at this price point).

Cheers, Carl.

5. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also had an AVR300 over the weekend and was most impressed. Previously, I tried a Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2400. The AVR300 was certainly the best overall AV receiver - even though the remote is slightly annoying.

However, for movie performance, there is not much between the Arcam and Yamaha 2400.

I am keen to try the Yamaha 2500 before making a decision.

6. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Many thanks for the replies guys, Missed one thing from my list which is that is must do video upconversion which the arcam seems to do so will take a more detailed look at one of those, thanks

7. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey

Well, Phoned up Sevenoaks this morning to see if they had the arcam and denon in stock in black, which they did and asked if I could come and have a demo.

Spent 2 hours there listening and finally decided on the Denon, Said that I would take one and was then told that they don't stock them in black despite being told different on the phone :( So I have just ordered one from Peter Tyson.

Cheers

Chris

8. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi mate.

Mind if I ask you why you decided on the Denon in the end? It's the next receiver I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to but have read about quite a few forum members here recommending the Yamaha very highly.

Thanks.

Cheekster.

9. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Didn't audition the yamaha so can't comment.

The main reson I went the the denon was the price over the arcam, £1300 for the arcam, £779 for the denon, the arcam did sound slightly better for music but no way was it worth £520 more!

Also in my opinion the denon looks better in black than the arcam, not impressed with the silver volume dial on the black arcam.

Have now got it at home and am absolutely loving it and haven't even run the auto setup yet.

Cheers

Chris

10. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Word of advice - I would run through a manual set-up of the Denon rather than use the auto. This applies to all other brands with auto set-up as well. They are never correct. They get you close but there is no replacement for an SPL meter, Tape measure and your own ears.
    For all those looking to buy a new amp - don't fall into the specification trap. Auto set-up is nothing more than a quirk to attract your money. It costs you money to have a facility you only would use once and it does'nt usually work well. Speak to your dealer and get some advice on how to set an amp up properly.