1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend me a Sub.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MyBoxLife, Sep 7, 2005.

1. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Never, ever, owned one, except attached to my PC speakers.
    I’ll be picking-up my new Kef iQ9’s :) (Possibly iQ6c and iQ8ds’ at the same time!), and will be running these through a Pioneer AX5Ai, in a room, 5.4m x 4.4m. This will be used for music and movies, which I like to listen to loud, when given the opportunity, and want a Sub that will destroy any thoughts of an upgrade for some years to come. My reading points me in the direction of a SVS, but which one, cylinder or box type, is there others I should consider? I’m setting the budget somewhere in the £500 region, but if I should be aiming higher, I’ll prefer to wait for more funds then fall short of the mark. What’s your opinion please?

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    SVS are awsome but they are generally pretty large so that is a consideration. I just bought a PB12 Ultra, it cost £1000 delivered to the door including all duty and taxes.

It is a monster but to be honest I haven't had a chance to play with it properly yet (I need a BFD to calm my room acoustics) so I can't give you a genuine impression. But even at a modest volume the Dala scene made my balls ache :eek:

As for which type... well that is more down to aesthetics I think ;)

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Any of the REL's are worth a listen. Everyone is harping on about the BK;s and the SVS's but there are uk subs that are also very good. :thumbsup:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    BK are from the UK. :confused:

They're based in Southend and have been the OEM manufacturer for a number of Rel models before now..

5. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    AngelEyes: The PB12 Ultra must be a mother of a beast, but I’d prefer not spend 1K if I can get away with it, I was thinking more in the likes of the PB12 Plus or PC Plus, think the Cylinder shape will fit the Kef iQ Series’ rounded shapes.

niceguy235uk: I have no doubt that there’s UK Subs to match the SVS, but from what I’ve been reading, it’ll be difficult to match the performance of the SVS within the same price range?

It would be nice to hear what other Kef owners are using with their speakers!

6. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yes you are right :suicide: :D

But bigger does not always mean better. The BK Monolith sub looks fantastic but you can get subs that are smaller with a similar specification, UK or other.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You say that you have never heard a sub before apart from those attached to PC's and without being patronising I wonder whether you realise quite how loud one of the Premier League type SVS subs will go as it's very loud indeed and can only sensibly be opened up in double glazed detached houses.

The choice between cylinder or box is mainly down to personal preference as they seem to have a similar performer in each type. I have the 20-39 PC Plus which I think is superb and gives me no reason whatsoever to change other than boredom and a wish to try something else. The PB Ultra that you referred to is a step higher on the SVS foodchain than mine and I have no doubt that it would satisfy all but the most demanding audiophile.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Have you ever listened to a svs subwoofer.Many svs owners are ex rel owners which ought to tell you something, B&W and BK would be my choice of british sub before rel and yes i have owned rel and heard quite a few of there range.
    Hi Box
    Svs subs are bigger and better the svs pc 20-39 will blow you away cylinders are easy to place (small footprint) all though the black cloth isnt to everyones taste.Iam sure if you asked(where do you live) a svs owner would be happy to give you a demo. :)

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    :eek: Don't have a demo, you will HAVE to have one! :rotfl:

I have to admit the PB12 Ultra was me getting carried away, I will probably never reach it's limits but I just wanted to be sure (tbh I almost opted for the PB12 Ultra/2 :eek: ). I am really happy (if not a little guilty) about this sub and can't wait to play with it.

Did I mention it was gorgeous !! :clap:

If you opt for ANY SVS (or any sub you have mentioned) it will literally blow you away compared to what you have been used to. :)

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    If you want to spend no more than £500 for a new SVS you are looking at a PB10-ISD (box sub) at around £430 a 20-39PCI (cylinder)around £475.

Or second hand (if you can find any) you would step up the range to a PC+ or PB12 various models which should cost around £400-£450

I just don't think that you can get more bang for your buck than with pretty much any of the SVS new or used subs.

BK's monolith would be the best British value for money option in the under £450 range (not heard one myself but it gets good reviews)

Any of the above are good value simply because you are buying direct from the manufacturer so there are no distributors and dealers in the food chain taking their cut.

However SVS will soon be appointing a distributor here and prices are bound to go up,by how much is not known at the momment.So If a new SVS takes your fancy get in now and save some money.

11. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you should be seeking some auditions. I have a BK XLS200 in a room a little bigger than yours. I don't need any more bass than this gives me - most of my time with it has been spent curing the room of its effects. I'm using 30% gain for music and 50% gain for movies. These guys are talking about a huge amount of bass. I'm wondering how much of that would actually be useful to you.

12. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    What other 'subwoofers' have you heard apart from your little BK?

13. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What other 'subwoofers' have you heard apart from your little BK?

I've lived with a Celestion S8, MJ50 and now have the XLS (I prefer the word 'tiny' btw) and demo'd several others out of my price range - the most impressive was a pair of REL coffee tables in quite a small demo room. And of course theres the stuff you see at the shows. I've never owned a truly large sub.

Whether that has any bearing on my post is down to your standpoint on bass and also if you think that an upgrade is about size as opposed to quality. I spoke briefly with Tom at BK when I got the XLS as the Monolith was also within my budget but my primary requirement was for more depth than I had with tightness being important to me. I'd rather have no bass than woolly bass (and after the S8 I know woolly bass!).

I run my kit at reference levels in a room almost the same size as the OP and my tiny sub delights me and sometimes scares the kids (too). I'm not saying that less is more either; just that the OP should listen to a variety of kit so he has some idea of the depth that he's jumping into.

14. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    BinBag,

It's not just the amount of bass with the SVS that impresses. It is the cleanliness of it. It is a very odd listening experience, as I'd never actually heard anything that could produce notes this low without some hint of distortion.

Gary

15. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    binbag,

I am not meaning to offend anyone when I say this, but I have heard the BK and thought that it was more of a woofer than a subwoofer.

I would not recommend one to a person wanting a subwoofer that they don't want to have to upgrade for a while.

16. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Ian J: I said I've never owned :) a Sub apart from one attached to a PC, I've only ever heard two, when as part of a 5.1 AV setup, one which made part of a 1K Ruark 5.1 setup, which was probably turned all the way down, as I got more noticeable base from my Tannoy MX4's, the other was a small box (don't know what, looked like one of these Subs that comes as part of a all-in-one type setup) which offered no noticeable difference to the sound, so I've honestly got no idea how loud these SVS Subs will go. I'm in a Semi-Detached, and only crank it up when my attached neighbours are out, which is pretty often, as they have nine to five's, and I have allot of normal work day time off, :lesson: I'm not a neighbour from hell, I think :). So you have 'the most popular' of the three, in the cylinder shape :smashin:, although I wouldn't mind, I think the Ultra is probably overkill, may I ask what made you decide on the 20-39 over the 16-46?

gonzo: Another reason why I'm considering the cylinder over the box, is placement, although I'm sure I'll be back with a cry for help when it comes to that. I'm thinking that the SVS cylinder will not look out of place with a set of Kef iQ9 in black, but I'd definitely love a demo, or even the chance to see one in the flesh, before buying, if anyone would be kind enough.

AngelEyes: 'Don't have a demo, you will HAVE to have one!' :D I think your joy, and satisfaction with your new toy, is easily noticeable by your recent posts. :smashin: :D

kbfern: Thanks for the price suggestions, the 20-39 PC-Plus is listed as roughly £450, how much more will it cost by the time it lands on my doorstep, do you think? I'd read the comments with regard to SVS going down the distributer line in the UK, so yes (I think it's safe to say, it'll be a SVS!), I intend to grab one now.

binbag: I'm spending a considerable amount of paper with this AV upgrade, more than I could get away with, but as I've promised, my other half, there won't be another, for a good time to come, so with the latter in mind, and as an example, a set of Kef Q5 (what I listened to in a demo), even iQ5, would make me very happy, but I'd probably want it's big brother before too long, where's getting the iQ9's now pretty much puts that idea to rest, not sure if the latter makes much sense :rolleyes:, but there you go :). As far as the 'huge amount of bass' goes, bring it on! :devil:

Gary_W: :smashin:

17. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Boxlife
    Where abouts do you live?.

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There was neither an Ultra nor box subs two years ago when I bought mine and I think it's human nature when faced with three to pick the one in the middle - it was also the best compromise between depth and output.

19. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    I think a new 20-39pc+ would be around £675 all in (sub,shipping,taxes,duty,bax paperwork fee)

You may get by with a PCI at around £475 all in,depends if you want to blow the roof off or not.

Where are you as I am sure that there would be a local SVS owner happy to give you a demo.

20. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    gonzo: Birmingham, about 5 miles from the city centre.

Ian J: OK, I'm still to fully understand what I want from the Sub, this most definitely sounds stupid but, could you give me examples of depth, I take it output is the volume?

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you only live 5 miles from Birmingham I could give you first hand examples of depth as I live at Tamworth

22. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    looking again at the PCI I think it would be nearer £520.When you have made your mind up you should contact SVS by e-mail and Erik should be able to quote you a delivered price in $ to your nearest UK airport.

You will need to add 4.5% import duty + 17.5% and around £10 document fee for Bax Global (the shipping agents) to the cost of the sub & shipping price quoted by SVS.

I am in Wolverhampton so if thats nearer than Tamworth can give you a demo.

23. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    None taken; although Tom might have something to say about it :)

It seems like another SVS will be waiting at an East Midland freight hangar soon. And if its as clean a sound as you guys reckon I might even make the effort to check one out should the opportunity arise.

The way I see it is that I'm only using 40% of my XLS' output to achieve the sound that I consider best. If I was to substitute this for a more powerful sub then surely all I would be doing is turning down the power to get back to a similar level of bass?

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I don't think BK will be quaking in their boots if you try the trades descriptions act on them...PJ ;)

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you are confusing volume with depth as the bigger SVS subs will reproduce much deeper notes than the smaller BK which in all honesty wasn't designed to plumb the depths that the physically bigger subs can manage.

26. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Agreed. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the XLS200 on this thread.

It's a very competent sub whose size belies the punch it packs. Nice powerful amp, decent driver, beautifully made, will sit discretely in your room and provide excellent low end extension to music and films.

Anyone who thinks it's a woofer didn't listen to it properly, anyone who thinks it can out-gun the likes of a big SVS is fooling themselves...PJ :)

27. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I listened to it properly, alright. I'm willing to bet it hasn't got much output below about 40Hz. :)

28. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,450
    Just for your info the home delivery charge was $275 for me. I don't know if this has gone up recently or just that I live far from an airport (it came from Birmingham so I don't think so).

When I was looking into it I thought I was going to pay $150. Just be aware the price looks amazing when you convert the $ to £ but the extras do add up. :lesson:

With all this discussion about 'woofers' and 'Subwoofers' I have to say I thought my Yamaha was 'ok' as a sub it cetainly rumbled away and made films more exciting. But the difference this SVS (which still isn't remotely set up) is staggering. It is so crisp and clear and not in the least bit localised, I am so glad I went along with the hype, I just love my big box :D

29. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hmm. This is fairly radical stuff. Calling the XLS200 a woofer and thinking that it doesn't go much below 40Hz flies in the face of most everything which has been posted about the performance of the BK, and what I've heard with my own ears in the past 6 months or so.

I'm presuming that people who know more about these thing may want to comment, all I know is that BK seem to be a reputable company and post frequency response as 17Hz at -6db. My Ditton 33s go down to 25Hz allegedly and the BK certainly goes lower then that. Even allowing for over-egging the specs, 40Hz seems a bit outlandish...PJ :)

30. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    I wouldn't be surprised if the xls had some meaningfull output down to at least 30hz and I would expect it to be audible to at least 25hz but suspect it would be trailing off substantially much below that.