1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend me a pre amp for Mackie HR624s

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Triggaaar, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I'm after a 2nd hand pre-amp to go with my new Mackie HR624s (I've tested them with my 561, but they're for a different room, stereo only).

Source is a sqeezebox, digital out, through TAG DAC20.

Budget is really dependant on what would be suitable for the above speakers and DAC.

I like to buy 2nd hand, and don't mind buying a couple, trying for a few weeks, then selling on what I don't want for a small loss, in exchange for a lenghty home demo.

Any ideas what I should try?

Many thanks :thumbsup:

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Triggaaar :hiya:

Given the sound/characteristic nature of these, you really need to decide what you want to end up with and is the rest of the system “up to the job” as these are shall we say clinical or revealing. Also unless you intend to have the pre. very nearby the ability to drive long lines may also be a must. In any case it would be beneficial to use the balanced input option they have, although this will mean a slight restriction in the choices available.

If you wish to maintain the ‘studio’ sound then Tag will probably give you the cheapest option – as you know, £300 new for the PA10 but no balanced output (you may find a PA20, but these usually don’t have the optional balanced outputs active) EAR’s from £700 upward (S/H) but difficult to find.

On a more friendly balance, Primare would be a good option, but for the most widely available S/H range perhaps look toward Audio Research, good sound, versatile (on some models) output in offering both balanced and standard outputs and usually a good resale value. All these with the exception of the Tag’s and older ARC's are quite expensive but you don’t give a budget. You may also want to investigate Thule Preamps, but they tend to receive mixed views, but the older black finished ones are around for under £400.

Good hunting :smashin:

Paul

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Thanks Paul.

The pre is only going to be 1.5 metres from each speaker. I'm actually fairly easy to please with sound. In all the domos I've done, the only easy no no was small satellites (this was 5.1 demos). I wasn't too keen on the stereo from Denon and Pioneer AV amps. I like detailed sound, with good imaging. I also like Arcam amps.

Budget wise:
    If a £300 pre amp would ruin the sound, and I had to spend £700, I would. But I'd prefer to spend 3 or 4 hundred, second hand. I see there's a Prmare Pre30 in the classifieds, at a fair bit more.

I don't know which models have balanced output (although I see the Pre30 has balanced XLR outputs). I'll have to check each model individually.

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some Mackie 824s for a couple of months.

My £200 Mackie Mixer (VLZ-1202 if memory serves) sounded much better than my Audiolab 8000C (£550 preamp) to my surprise. Cables were 3m to the monitors, the mixer gave a more solid and detailed sound, with far superior imaging - the difference was apparent even on unbalanced phono outs. The improvement wasn't even subtle..

It shouldn't be so, but it was. Make of it what you will !

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    :eek: That's an option you don't consider every day. I assume a pre amp has a small job, but one that is easy to bodge (adding distortion). I have never looked at a mixer. They appear to have a much bigger job than than a simple pre-amp, so I would have guessed that it was harder for a cheap one to process a signal without distorting it.

Well its not the 1st April yet. Any idea where I can find some other users comments on it as a simple pre-amp?