Please recommend me a hdmi 2.1 4K 120fps gaming Amp

Hostile18

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking to replace my reciever currently connected to a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. I know nothing about recievers (hardly) but all I know is I need 2.1 HDMI for 4k 120fps passthrough with all associated gaming features HDR, G sync etc for the new LG C1 77" I've got coming tomorrow (connected to a powerful PC). Must have earc as well. Hopefully still use all my speakers with upgrade options in the future, connectivity wise.

Budget is around £500 but it's very flexible. It's for a small living room setup.

Thank you for your time. Probably going to save me tens of hours of research 😅

Your budget is a little on the low side. It is very difficult to recommend any of the current receivers because they all have a variety of issues associated with their implimentation of HDMI, either this or their 4K 120Hz capabilities aren't fully operational, require additional adaptor or a entire HDMI board and chipset replacement.

THe Yamaha V4, V6 and A2 haven;'t as yet had the HDMI version 2.1 capabilities enabled yet and also suffer from the HDMI version 2.1 "bug" that will require that they have their HDMI boards replaced. These models will also have their HDMI bandwidth capped at 23Gbps.

THe 2020 Denon models made prior to May this year need an external adaptor to try negate the issues caused by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug", but this adaptor itself seems to be causing issues?

THe 2021 Yamaha Aventage A4, A6 and the A8 look promising, but still require an update to enable their HDMI version 2.1 capabilities. THey'd also be well outside of your budget with the A4 being over double what you've suggested.

Do you really need an AV receiver right now. It ain't the best time to be buying one.

Your budget is a little on the low side. It is very difficult to recommend any of the current receivers because they all have a variety of issues associated with their implimentation of HDMI, either this or their 4K 120Hz capabilities aren't fully operational, require additional adaptor or a entire HDMI board and chipset replacement.

THe Yamaha V4, V6 and A2 haven;'t as yet had the HDMI version 2.1 capabilities enabled yet and also suffer from the HDMI version 2.1 "bug" that will require that they have their HDMI boards replaced. These models will also have their HDMI bandwidth capped at 23Gbps.

THe 2020 Denon models made prior to May this year need an external adaptor to try negate the issues caused by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug", but this adaptor itself seems to be causing issues?

THe 2021 Yamaha Aventage A4, A6 and the A8 look promising, but still require an update to enable their HDMI version 2.1 capabilities. THey'd also be well outside of your budget with the A4 being over double what you've suggested.

Do you really need an AV receiver right now. It ain't the best time to be buying one.

Thank you for the detailed response. Yeah I didn't realize how bad the situation with receivers was to be honest. My budget can go to around 700-800. That been said i have a reciever that can do 4k 60fps HDR. Its only got arc though. If I connect my pc directly to the new TV it will be earc > arc. That been said it might not be the end of the world to have that situation until the recievers sort themselves out? How much would that effect 4k high fps gaming sound wise? (My 4k player I can connect direct to the reciever still). 😊

Does your current AV receiver have the ability to use eARC? An eARC enabled AVR would be better than one just able to use conventional ARC because this gives it the potential to access HD gormated audio and multichannel PCM if the TVis also eARC enabled. THe 4K 120Hz source could then be connected to the TV and the HDM audio can be passed through and out to the AV receiver using eARC if both the TV and the AV receiver are eARC enabled.

If using a console connected directly to an AVR predating HDMI version 2.1 then you'd be restricted to 4K 60Hz. THis ain't so bad though. You actually still get ray tracing at 60Hz, something that isn't possible at 120Hz. Graphics are actually better at 60Hz. A Pro gamer will more than likely want 4K at 120Hz though?

If using a version of HDMI predating version 2.1 then you'd not also be able to benefit from over new gaming features associated with the newer HDMI version. Things such as ALLM,VRR,QMS and QFT are unlikely to be available to you if passing the signal through older AV receivers. ALLM is possible with some older models though. Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows enables the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity. Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and detailed gameplay. Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank frames before content is displayed. Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.

Last edited:
My old reciecer is only arc not earc unfortunately. So at the moment I'm limited to 4k 60hz when connected to it. So I can either try and get a reciever now (hence this thread) or put up with putting the PC direct into my new TV and only having earc (tv) to arc (reciever).

I mean as long as the sound isn't terrible I could wait a few months or try and source one now with hdmi 2.1 and earc to go with the new TV arriving tomorrow.

I had no idea ray tracing was limited to hdmi bandwidth for some reason. I just thought it was all done on the PC side like other graphics settings eg draw distance etc.

THe main issue would be the inability to convey multichannel PCM to the AVR. THis is basically the preferred means by which most games consoles and PC like to send their games related audio. You cannot convey multichannel PCM via conventional ARC or via S/PDIF optical.

You'd need to force the source to bitstream the audio as SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital on order to be able to get discrete surround sound of some description while playing the games.

THe main issue would be the inability to convey multichannel PCM to the AVR. THis is basically the preferred means by which most games consoles and PC like to send their games related audio. You cannot convey multichannel PCM via conventional ARC or via S/PDIF optical.

You'd need to force the source to bitstream the audio as SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital on order to be able to get discrete surround sound of some description while playing the games.

Yeah not ideal. I've been recommended the Denon AVR-X2700H and going by the reviews it seems great. The only trouble is it appear to be out of stock everywhere. 🙈 I could always put an order in and wait it out. 😊

Yeah not ideal. I've been recommended the Denon AVR-X2700H and going by the reviews it seems great. The only trouble is it appear to be out of stock everywhere. 🙈 I could always put an order in and wait it out. 😊

If wanting any AV receiver right now, you'd be advised to order it. They are all in very short supply due to the logistics of transporting them plus issues associated with their manufature. THese issues are a cobination of factors including those caused by COVID, Brexit and a worldwide chip shortage.

THis is also effecting prices and you'll be paying more now for a new model than you'd have been paying in previous years for comparable models.

If wanting any AV receiver right now, you'd be advised to order it. They are all in very short supply due to the logistics of transporting them plus issues associated with their manufature. THese issues are a cobination of factors including those caused by COVID, Brexit and a worldwide chip shortage.

THis is also effecting prices and you'll be paying more now for a new model than you'd have been paying in previous years for comparable models.
Thank you I'll put in an order. I'm presuming for what I'm after availability aside that is the best one? Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.

It is the AV receiver that best meets your requirements given your budget. It should be one that has already been fitted out with a revised chipset, negating the need to use one of DEnon''s adaptors? This would be the case if manufactured after may this year.

Note that only one of its HDMI inputs will be 4K 120Hz/8K 60Hz compliant though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom