1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend me a good MP3 player

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Trickdick, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Trickdick

Trickdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Basic question but here goes...

Am going on holiday soon and want to get a decent mp3 player to replace an aged minidisc player.

Im not taking my laptop so it needs to come with an AC adaptor. I have a fairly large collection of music so 4GB capacity is the minimum I would consider.

Ive read up a bit on the IPod and the Sony HD5 so far.

I also wish to use it to listen to audiobooks so the player needs to have some sort of "bookmark" facility. I'm not sure if the IPod or HD5 have that facility?

It needs to be fairly easy to use and with a good sound quality.

Any ideas on suitable players, and also good outlets to purchase it from.

Hoping you can help me.

Richard :lease:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    A good on-line place that I've used in the past is Advanced MP3 Players - it might be wise to have a look at the different players they have there and see what takes your fancy. Most of the players have customer reviews so you can see what others think about them.

3. smiley miley

smiley miley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    New to this game. Just brought a Zen 5GB micro. Very pleased with the sound,
    comes complete with A.C adaptor, belt clip, stand, USB cable & nylon protective cover.
    Only problem im having is getting used to the touch screen, its so damn sensative that the slightest touch makes it skip to the next item. It is slowly getting better though, at first it took me 20 minutes to set the date & time, perhaps it me being ham-fisted I dont know.
    It certainly looks the part. The instructions are mostly in PDF format.
    I purchased mine frome firebox.com (Streatham,London) it cost £145.90 & they delivered it wednesday this week after I ordered it on Bank holiday Monday.
    (Amazon are doing it for £138, but this may be by standard delivery)
    FM reception is poor though this may be where I live (Essex)
    It has a bookmark facility on it but as yet I dont know if its the one you are after.

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I've felt nothing since the birth of MP3 players has beaten the SQ of my Sharp portable MD (still use it). Although its the old type of MD and can only put a couple of hrs of music on it :)

Bear in mind if you need 4gb storage, a 5gb player may be pushing it. This is as you don't actually get 5gb (due to way space is calculated) - actually something like 4.5 gb.

Then there's the bit rate you will put ur music in. A middle ground of 192kbps will mean 3-4 mb for each song.

5. nick.lawton

nick.lawton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Napster cost £199 from Argos was rearly good and funkey, brilliant with audio books and did i mention it was 20gb. Sound quality superb and came with lots of accessories. :thumbsup: