Quantcast

Please recommend me a decent scary movie!

smashed

Ive never been into horror films... they never seemed to scare me and I didnt give them much of a look in for years.

However I watched The Grudge (2004) at the cinema, and im happy to admit that it did quite scare both myself and my mates.
I have since been on the lookout for other decent scary movies, and have looked at the reviews on bbc film etc.. but don't know what else to buy / rent.
I bought the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.. but that did nothing for me :(

Can anybody please advise a really scary film? If its a relatively new film even better, and a decent plot would obviously also be nice.

Cheers :thumbsup:

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
smashed said:
Ive never been into horror films... they never seemed to scare me and I didnt give them much of a look in for years.

However I watched The Grudge (2004) at the cinema, and im happy to admit that it did quite scare both myself and my mates.
I have since been on the lookout for other decent scary movies, and have looked at the reviews on bbc film etc.. but don't know what else to buy / rent.
I bought the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.. but that did nothing for me :(

Can anybody please advise a really scary film? If its a relatively new film even better, and a decent plot would obviously also be nice.

Not a horror in the traditional sense but give Arlington Road a try :smashin:

smashed

Shutter had 2 very promising reviews from what I just read. I will be purchasing that... via the odd cd-wow discount ;)
Never seen arlington road either.. will have a quick scout for reviews on that after dinner too :)

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Talking of british horror movies, try the Decent, it did a good job of scaring the audience at the cinema I went to. I believe it'll be out on DVD soon.

K

krakin247

hiya, my two favourites are 'Misery' and 'The Shining'. Not exactly new but they're both excellent. The shining was directed by the great Stanley Kubrik and is just perfect and Misery is without ghosts or monsters and all that but if you don't flinch when sheldon gets a knock on the leg then you aint human!

GCDB

Standard Member
Original 2 part film of salems lot(old i know) but that scared the life out of me at the time,especially the jail scene.

smashed

Cheers for all the responses :)
I said modern.. but they do seem harder to come by. There is something raw about older films which gives them an eerier feel.
Out of all the responses, I have only seen Misery.. which I did really enjoy :smashin:

Its now a case of seeing what I can pick up for bargain prices.

Will let everybody know what I thought of their suggestions

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
DeadEnd and Haute Tension were creepy.

binbag

The original version of 'The Haunting'. It's in b&w but don't let that put you off.

Zog

Novice Member
try "The Thing"...... this switched me onto this genre and its currently available quite cheaply.

Skyav

Standard Member
Hello!

Many Japanese horror films share a similar sense of creepiness and unease, so if you like the Grudge, I think you'll like the original "Ring" movie. The American remake wasn't too bad either (although I can't say the same for the sequel). Another spooky one is "The Eye" which I believe is Chinese. I'll also stand up for John Carpenters "The Thing" for managing to be gory AND creepy.

A older film that will either scare the pants off you or simply weird you out is David Lynch's cult classic "Eraserhead". Two other seventies classics that freaked me out were "Don't Look Now" and the 1978 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Philip Kaufman...

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I guess everyone on Earth has seen Jaws :D

If not, still one of the scariest (and greatest, imo) films ever made :smashin:

smashed

Jeez.. Cheers for all the suggestions. This will keep me going for a while :)
Now I just have to persuade the girlfriend to watch them on the projector with me :rolleyes:
The only other film out of that lot that I have seen is Jaws, which I do own on DVD :D

pmc

Of recent ones I would say Saw was pretty good. Also check out the Scream trilogy. There is a lot of humour in them but they are scary in places.

Probably my favourites of recent years are the the Jeepers Creepers movies (especially the first one).

And the Blair Witch Project will either scare the bejesus out of you or bore you silly.

lovemunkey187

Novice Member
Skyav said:
Many Japanese horror films share a similar sense of creepiness and unease, so if you like the Grudge, I think you'll like the original "Ring" movie. The American remake wasn't too bad either (although I can't say the same for the sequel).
Definately give the Japanese versions of The Ring a viewing. Nearly pooped my pants with these 2. I've not seen the third one, but 1 and 2 are brown trouser material.

L

Lionheart

Wish they would put Dorian Gray onto DVD....it may be tame by todays standards but it scared the living hell out me as a youngster

the_pauley

Banned
The Haunting - the original '60s version.

Turn out the lights, turn up the volume (you'll know why when the moment comes), and prepare to s*** bricks.

This one never fails. Mood and atmosphere by the bucketload too.

:smashin:

BAN5HEE

Definataly get the Shutter scared me and my friends quite bad.

V

VOGEL

roymunsen said:
try 'the last horror movie' new british flick .not your usual horror but an eye opener for me.
I saw this last week - it completely freaked me out :thumbsup:

woodmaster

Novice Member
Ill back up Binbag, The Haunting origanal, the photography is amazing and the most atmospheric film of its type with great characterisation.So turn the lights off and you'll be looking over youre shoulder every 5 mins :rolleyes: :eek:
Looks like Im not the only one.

smashed

Well Shutter has turned up this week. Intented to watch it last night, but my 2 mates who came over refused to watch it :(
Watched The Machinist instead. A very strange film indeed
So hopefully Shutter 2nite, and onto another this week. Halloween season should bring down the price of horror movies :smashin:

A

ascomdog

Not exactly modern (although there is now a remake), but 'The Fog' is a classic!