Question Please recommend me a budget 32" TV which isn't a Vestel

ggNu312JuPrJOnFG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been trying to purchase a smallish bedroom TV but so far have had three different Vestel sets (two Hitachi, one Bush) all of which have had problems. I'm having trouble locating anything that's fitting my needs that isn't from Vestel so figured I would ask here for a recommendation...
  • 32" is about right, maybe 28", maybe 36" but it needs to not be massive
  • Must be smart with the usual suspects (Netflix, YouTube, terrestrial catchup services)
  • Must have a centre stand as it needs to stand on a fairly narrow cabinet
  • Again, not a Vestel. So no Hitachi, Bush, Techwood, etc. I believe Hisense bought Toshiba's TV business, I would happily give a Hisense/Toshiba a go, but not a Vestel/Toshiba. And any manufacturer who actually makes their own TVs is fine with me.
  • A 720p display is fine and will help keep the price down
  • Lower the price the better, although I'm aware that if I want to avoid Vestel's mass-produced rubbish I'll have to go up a price bracket to north of £200, but would prefer to keep it under £300 if possible
Does anything like this actually exist anymore? It seems to be that anything of this size has been outsourced to Vestel but I'm three-for-three on unreliability from them. The best options I've found so far are:
  • SAMSUNG LV32F390SEXXXU
  • LG 28MT49S (I think this is end of life, Richer Sounds are running low on stock)
I've reserved a Samsung which seems like a safe bet as I believe they still make their own sets, and looks like my best option to tick all my boxes, but if anyone else has any suggestions then I'm open.

Thank you!

Hey all,
I've been trying to purchase a smallish bedroom TV but so far have had three different Vestel sets (two Hitachi, one Bush) all of which have had problems. I'm having trouble locating anything that's fitting my needs that isn't from Vestel so figured I would ask here for a recommendation...
  • 32" is about right, maybe 28", maybe 36" but it needs to not be massive
  • Must be smart with the usual suspects (Netflix, YouTube, terrestrial catchup services)
  • Must have a centre stand as it needs to stand on a fairly narrow cabinet
  • Again, not a Vestel. So no Hitachi, Bush, Techwood, etc. I believe Hisense bought Toshiba's TV business, I would happily give a Hisense/Toshiba a go, but not a Vestel/Toshiba. And any manufacturer who actually makes their own TVs is fine with me.
  • A 720p display is fine and will help keep the price down
  • Lower the price the better, although I'm aware that if I want to avoid Vestel's mass-produced rubbish I'll have to go up a price bracket to north of £200, but would prefer to keep it under £300 if possible
Does anything like this actually exist anymore? It seems to be that anything of this size has been outsourced to Vestel but I'm three-for-three on unreliability from them. The best options I've found so far are:
  • SAMSUNG LV32F390SEXXXU
  • LG 28MT49S (I think this is end of life, Richer Sounds are running low on stock)
I've reserved a Samsung which seems like a safe bet as I believe they still make their own sets, and looks like my best option to tick all my boxes, but if anyone else has any suggestions then I'm open.

Thank you!

Just been answered here, Samsung is the way to go I think.

Hisense only make Toshiba out of Europe, Vestel still have the license for this currently along with all the others mentioned, could change in the future though.

Question - What 32 inch

Unfortunately you can't get a good quality tv at 32" anymore, and you can't tell the difference from UHD to FHD due to the size as well.

Failing that a monitor would be a good option and also pretty cheap as well.

Unfortunately you can't get a good quality tv at 32" anymore
Yeah, I was definitely starting to get that vibe last night when I was browsing. Pretty much everything I came across was Vestel apart from that Samsung model that I reserved, and a Hisense 32" on ao.com, which unfortunately has side stands so wouldn't fit where I want it to go. My wish list is a very small target to hit so I guess I'll be off to pick the Samsung up later :)

Shame this end of the market is flooded with cheap Vestel crap, but I guess it's just down to the fact that's all people want to pay and even the "big names" have been dragged down to it as well. I'd almost rather see Panasonic/Toshiba/Hitachi just stop putting their names on 32" sets instead of trying to compete in the race to the bottom with Bush/Techwood/other unknowns. Hey ho.

You can always fit your own stand to the wall mounting VESA holes behind the TV, there are plenty of them sold for cheap on eBay and similar.

If I was making the purchase I would either go with a Samsung to try and stand the best chance of getting a VA panel (although avoid their 2018 N range) or I would go with one of LGs FHD TVs to get good smart TV.

I do not think the LG's picture quality will be fantastic, but you aren't going to get fantastic picture quality anyway at this price. You could argue it probably isn't that noticeable on such a small TV.

At least going that route, you get a good smart TV platform.

From the two models you mentioned, they are both older now. Maybe been around since 2013-14. I wouldn't expect much from them in terms of smart TV, although the Samsung if using a VA panel may have better overall picture quality if you do not need wide viewing angles.

Hisense are a good shout too to get a VA panel, I think all their TVs use them and they have HD models that are very well priced with reasonable smart TV.

See: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?

Thanks for the tips - I ended up collecting the Samsung I reserved online from my first post. This is purely for streaming stuff, there's no aerial/Sky/Virgin in the bedroom it'll be used in, so I'm not expecting spectacular quality anyway. I'm not a cinephile, this won't be the main TV for the house, that's why I thought a cheaper set would have been fine. Which it was, picture quality wise, but so far they've been so unreliable that I'm just not interested in trying any more from that factory no matter whose name is on the front.

The smart functions on the Samsung have everything I need (Netflix, terrestrial catchup, YouTube) - but it also comes with an INFURIATING advertising system though, which greeted me after I finished the setup with a lovely trailer from a film containing a violent assault, and plays something every time I quit any other app. I think it's from the TV Plus and/or Rakuten apps, and still played even after I followed Samsungs guide to remove the "fake" TV channels that these apps install. Hopefully I can get rid of that though and I'll be a happy customer.

Thanks for the tips - I ended up collecting the Samsung I reserved online from my first post. This is purely for streaming stuff, there's no aerial/Sky/Virgin in the bedroom it'll be used in, so I'm not expecting spectacular quality anyway. I'm not a cinephile, this won't be the main TV for the house, that's why I thought a cheaper set would have been fine. Which it was, picture quality wise, but so far they've been so unreliable that I'm just not interested in trying any more from that factory no matter whose name is on the front.

The smart functions on the Samsung have everything I need (Netflix, terrestrial catchup, YouTube) - but it also comes with an INFURIATING advertising system though, which greeted me after I finished the setup with a lovely trailer from a film containing a violent assault, and plays something every time I quit any other app. I think it's from the TV Plus and/or Rakuten apps, and still played even after I followed Samsungs guide to remove the "fake" TV channels that these apps install. Hopefully I can get rid of that though and I'll be a happy customer.

Yeah there's a lot of people complaining about that feature, even after you've 'removed it'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom