Please recommend best car cleaning products.

Canoehq

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right, time to give the car a really good once over and fed up buying various products that do a less than satisfactory job (but which ain't cheap :eek:) , when for a few quid more, I'm sure I could get something that actually works !

I think I'm far better going with personal recommndations on this, so any car valeters out there or just regular users of cleaning products they know are simply the best and work 100%.......don't want any advertsing spin on this please, just real life opinions of what really works please. Any inside info from motor traders who prepare cars would also be most welcome. :thumbsup:

So, looking for recommendations on;

a) The best leather cleaner for seats, which hopefully, will bring them up like new.
b) The best stuff to use on faded door handles and bumpers to take them back to a deep black.
c) The best interior glass and vinyl cleaner.
d) The best exterior wash and polish products.
e) The best alloy wheel cleaner and tyre blackener.

Big thanks to all who contribute.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have you tried the Meguiars range of car cleaning products? I turned to them when I bought a new car last year and have not used better....it does cost a little more though (doesn't it always :rolleyes:).

Most Halfords stock the range; you can check out their website too.

Steve

for glass and body work i "used" mer

dead easy and gives great results, does not bake on, water reactivates it, can do whole car at once

Mer Car Polish 500ml from Halfords Price £9.99

it depends if you want a quick and easy job, or your a sad no lifer who wants to spend 10 hours polishing your car with a lump of clay before doing the next 7 coats and stages of polishing :rotfl: lifes to short just buy a new car :cool:

I only use Autoglym products now. Ive tried and tested...

Alloy Wheel Seal
Alloy Wheel Cleaner
Aqua-Dry
Shampoo/Conitioner
Car Glass Polish
Extra Gloss protection
Instant Show Shine
Tar Remover
Super Resin Polish
Paint Renovator

All excellent :thumbsup:

do and look at wwww.detailingworld.co.uk personaaly i'm using Jeffs range from polished bliss

Discussion on CleanYourCar.co.uk - Index and you can also buy stuff from http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/*

*no relation to me other than I am a happy return customer..

I use a combo of meguiers, chemical guys (wash and sealant), Autoglym SRP and collonite on my sapphire black BMW.

Beware, if you start reading about the "two bucket method" and snow foam then all hope is lost (but it is quite therapeutic!). There is a whole section on "washing and drying"!!!

OK, who heard that.....'thud' !

That was my jaw hitting the floor after following some of the links you've given me and seeing there really are sites out there dedicated to how to wash a car !! :D:D

I'm gobsmacked.......I'll have to go and lie down ! :eek:

Seriously though, thanks for all of the tips so far, my search is making some progress !

Have you tried the Meguiars range of car cleaning products? I turned to them when I bought a new car last year and have not used better....it does cost a little more though (doesn't it always :rolleyes:).

Most Halfords stock the range; you can check out their website too.

Steve

+1 - It's decent stuff to clean your car

For the alloys try 'WonderWheels'.

Gets crud off that other stuff won't touch. Recommended by Motorcyclists the world over.

Why motorcyclists? you ever seen motorbike chainlube??

It's like a mix of glue and grease..Nasty :(

i wonder how many months of my life i have saved against the OCD diseased people who spend hours cleaning there pointless euro boxes with clay and other such gimmicks :)

the joys of a contract car, it comes with a free washing service, once a year when u take it on for a service they wash it :rotfl: only other time it see's water is when it rains

Gets crud off that other stuff won't touch. Recommended by Motorcyclists the world over.

Why motorcyclists? you ever seen motorbike chainlube??

It's like a mix of glue and grease..Nasty :(

I agree, wonderwheels is brilliant stuff, just cleaned some alloys which looked like they had never been washed in their lives and they have come up spanking! :thumbsup:

Wonderwheels is good but also very aggressive and expensive.

If you have a chip or any form of crack in the alloy finish, using Wonderwheels will result in white snail like trails appearing underneath the alloy finish.

A far better cleaning solution is Virosol. You can get five litres for £5.99 and you water it down to whatever strength you like. It's a household cleaning agent and can be used to clean all sorts.

The manufacturer is Clover Chemicals. If you contact them on 01663 733114 they will advise you of the local stockist.

On the cleaning front, make sure you thoroughly soak the car before washing it. When washing use a microfibre cloth and don't use a circular action as this will result in swirl marks on the paintwork. Dry off with a drying cloth (not a chamois leather). Johnsons baby shampoo is perfect for the job.

Twice a year (end of winter and summer) you should 'clay bar' the car to completely remove the road film that has built up.

The best wax I've ever used is Swissvax but it isn't cheap. That said, once you've applied it, the protection lasts for around three months. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Autoglym all the way.

Used the products on every car for the last 15 years. I use the conditioner every week and when used on a previous car post wax i never had to wax the car again in 3 years.

Be careful of Wonderwheels, if you use it wash it straight off, don't leave it to dry as it takes forever to remove the white streaks...

Had Autoglym lifeshine applied to my latest car, after using the conditioner for every wash looks like new !!

Use Autosol for chrome :smashin:

a) The best leather cleaner for seats, which hopefully, will bring them up like new.
b) The best stuff to use on faded door handles and bumpers to take them back to a deep black.
c) The best interior glass and vinyl cleaner.
d) The best exterior wash and polish products.
e) The best alloy wheel cleaner and tyre blackener.

CLeanYourCar for me too.

Glipstone Liquid Leather combo, cleaner and conditioner

Think I am using autoglym stuff for external plastics. Cant remember what I am using inside.

Stoners Invisible Glass or Carlack Glass Cleaner (Cleaner and Sealant)

Super Sprayer and some snow foam/CG Maxi Suds then a (yep) two bucket method Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo for the wash. Do yourself a favour and get some Sonus Green clay and some Megs Last Touch detailing spray to clean off the contaminants off the paintwork and make it babybum smooth! Colinite 476s wax to finish.

Bilberry wheel cleaner is excellent. Finish off with Chemical Guys Wheel Guard or Poorboys wheel sealant depanding on whether you like orange or pink products :D. Megs High Gloss Endurance tyre gel for the black shine look.

Dont forget a load of microfibre cloths, large drying towels, applicator sponges etc etc

I have been using these on my car last two days. It is getting machine polished on Monday. Hopefully some pics will appear wed/thurs.

If I had to recommend two steps it would be to clay the paintwork and a decent wax such as the colinite. As Londondecca suggests a good technique and patience is important to get the job done right. Enjoy the results. . .and dont spend too much money!

Last edited:
i tend to use autoglym products as well, pricey but damn good, especially the tyre dressing, i also use it on the plastics too and it brings it up a treat.

if you want cheap, i noticed that Lidl are doing a wide range of car cleaning/maintenace products for some stupidly cheap prices...thats if you have a store near you :rolleyes:

Personally I would not touch wonder wheels. It is acidic and will eat away at the protection on the alloys and make the wheels nuts go rusty. If I did use it would be as a once off with the wheels removed and make sure you rinse it off and wash thoroughly afterwards.

Bilberry wheel cleaner is non acidic and does a great job.

I see nothing wrong with spending a few hours keeping a car in good condition. Saves all the swirl marks on the paint and will help resale value in the future. If I have spent my hard earned money on a new car then I want to keep it in perfect condition.

Last edited:
Personally I would not touch wonder wheels. It is acidic and will eat away at the protection on the alloys and make the wheels nuts go rusty. If I did use it would be as a once off with the wheels removed and make sure you rinse it off and wash thoroughly afterwards.

Bilberry wheel cleaner is non acidic and does a great job.

I see nothing wrong with spending a few hours keeping a car in good condition. Saves all the swirl marks on the paint and will help resale value in the future. If I have spent my hard earned money on a new car then I want to keep it in perfect condition.

Oi My nuts aren't rusty :rotfl:

Half the problem is the crappy laquer used on some alloys (Toyota/Ford take a bow)

tried the bilberry stuff on my ZX12-R wheels once. never even touched the chainlube spray. just smudged it :)

Oi My nuts aren't rusty :rotfl:

Half the problem is the crappy laquer used on some alloys (Toyota/Ford take a bow)

tried the bilberry stuff on my ZX12-R wheels once. never even touched the chainlube spray. just smudged it :)

Exactly - must be crappy lacquer :thumbsup:

Though all these comments about it being so corrosive have scared me lol - might just save it for when the wheels have some proper baked on dust!

Quick questions guys.

It's for my seats. My seats are fabric. Not sure what material exactly but I could check tonight if need be. I gave them a wash with some shampoo spray my mum had and some hot water. It was really just a run over.

Once I had finished though and it had dried it turned out looking patchy. As if some bits are clean and some are dirty.

Just wondering what should I use?

I was thinking of getting a steam machine and steaming the seats, is this ok and do you need anything to dry the seats.

Or should I just wash them again like I did, but I'd still like tyo know if drying is necessary. I think I've heard people use water suitable hoovers or something like that to lift out the excess water in the seats after washing them.

Other suggestions would be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Quick questions guys.

It's for my seats. My seats are fabric. Not sure what material exactly but I could check tonight if need be. I gave them a wash with some shampoo spray my mum had and some hot water. It was really just a run over.

Once I had finished though and it had dried it turned out looking patchy. As if some bits are clean and some are dirty.

Just wondering what should I use?

I was thinking of getting a steam machine and steaming the seats, is this ok and do you need anything to dry the seats.

Or should I just wash them again like I did, but I'd still like tyo know if drying is necessary. I think I've heard people use water suitable hoovers or something like that to lift out the excess water in the seats after washing them.

Other suggestions would be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

best thing i had found for cloth seats was a carpet cleaner, just take care not to stretch the material

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom