Please recommend basic sub for movies only

R

Remboy

Up until now I have relied on my Silver 5i floorstanders to provide the bass in my system which is driven by the Arcam AVR300 but have decided it's time to add a sub to get better bass extension.

I ONLY want the sub for movies - I'm not a bass junky and am quite happy with my existing sound for music. While I want something to add a bit of depth to explosions and special effects etc, I want something that adds depth not boom so the bass must be tight and fast.

Since I intend this to be a fairly "subtle" upgrade and don't want a "monster" sub, I don't want to go mad so was thinking of maybe MJ Acoustics Ref 100 or REL Quake at around £350 each.

Any comments from those with experience of these subs or any better suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Do a search of this forum and a bit of reading and it will soon become apparent what your choices are ;)

there are two typed of subs, downfiring and forward firing, and basically if you want your sub in the corner go for the downfiring, anywhere else then you want a forward firing one. Thee bk elec xls200 comes in both configurations and comes in at just under £280 and is excellent value for money. However if you want to get even more value look into the second hand forum, selling my rel quake there for an astonishing £230.

A sub will make a huge impact for movies and will make you want to rewatch your entire collection (trust me) you will love it.

The REL Quake would be a good choice, and whats_this's asking price looks good, it's even cheaper than the BK would be :eek:

If you want to buy brand new, then the BK XLS200 is a good buy. If aesthetics come into it the KEF PSW2500 should be on your shortlist as well.

But, if you want the tightest, fastest bass in a small package, it is hard to beat the little BK in its price group.

If you want it just for movies you could also look at the Paradigm PDR10. Usually under £100 second hand.

All the suggestions that have been mentioned are good ones. The fastest of those mentioned so far is probably the BK XLS200 which is what I'll recommend, it certainly won't detract from the quality of the rest of your system.

Might also be worth considering some of the small Velodyne models such as the SPL series or even the DD series if you can find a good deal. :)

Remboy said:
Since I intend this to be a fairly "subtle" upgrade and don't want a "monster" sub, I don't want to go mad so was thinking of maybe MJ Acoustics Ref 100 or REL Quake at around £350 each.

Are you thinking monster in terms of size or price? I think an SVS PB-10 comes in at around £350, which should in theory kick the Quake into touch. But of course, it's a lot bigger than the miniscule Quake or MJ sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom