Please recommend an All In One Printer

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Triggaaar, May 8, 2007.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I need a new printer asap, which means I don't have time to research properly, as I'll be off to either Comet, Currys or PCWorld in the morning.

I don't particularly have a budget in mind, as I have no idea what you gain when you increase your budget from £40, to £80, to £150.

Speed - I don't need a fast printer
    Photos - Good quality borderless photos would be nice
    B&W - Doesn't have to be great quality, just ok
    Refill - Unless I bin the printer when the cartridges run out, I'd like the refills to be cheap
    Scanning - Would be nice, for documents, not photos
    Copying - I guess if it scans & prints, it will copy. As above, docs only.

I've done a quick search, and seen the following recommended:
    HP F380 - £40 at Comet and PC World
    CANON Pixma iP4300 - £65 collect at PC World
    HP C4180 - £70 at Comet and PC World

Could anyone tell me what improves between the £40 model and £65/£70 models, and what else you'd get spending over £100?

EDIT - Is the HP Photosmart 2575, at half price (£65) any better than the above options?

Any recommendations gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I think I'm going to spend a little more, and go for a Canon Pixma MP600.
    It's available from PCWorld and Currys for £116, collect at store
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=506875&category_oid=
    but they have no stock
    And Comet (which I can see from my study) have it in stock, but it's £160

I'm tempted to buy it from Comet, order from Amazon, and then when the order from Amazon arrives, take it to Comet for a refund :)

Any idea what extra printer cable I need for the MP600?

3. GeoffWork

GeoffWork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought a Brother a few weeks ago and I am delighted with it. It faxes (sometimes useful) scans both in flatbed and sheetfeed modes, copies and prints, all for £100 from DABS. The cartridges are reasonable, multi colour set.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Which Brother did you buy?

5. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    have a good look at which ink cartridges are compatible. i've got an MP390 (Canon) and I can pick up replacement cartridges for [{a lot}] less than a pound each :smashin: Makes a whole lot of difference. (cartridges are BC-21 and 24 i think...) - for the same reason I shopped about for an i475 for the girlfriend - very very cheap to run (though not a multifunctional)

In my experience, Canon's are very user-friendly, and produce great borderless prints

6. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I have got the HP C4180 and i now love it.
    I say NOW because at first it annoyed me due to the lack of quality of the photo prints.

THATS WAS until i bought some Canon photo glossy paper (100 sheets for £4.19) and the photos are coming out AMAZING. :)

The scanning is very good and quick and the copying is just the same.

For a cheap printr i can recomend this highly as you only need 2 cartridges and they are about £10 each. I have done LOADS of printing and the stock cartridges that came with it are still going strong.

7. gkw

gkw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought a canon mp800 last year. Fantastic output. Scanner takes slides etc. Quick printer. Excellent copier and reasonable software. Only problem is the cartridges are chipped and expensive to replace. Single colour carts, but to replace full set =£43. My advice to anyone who buys any all in one is if they want to use it a lot make sure you can get hold of cheap compatible unchipped cartridges. Its no fun stumping up over £40 every month to get your output. For that reason I would not recommend this all in one.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I've bought a few HP all-in-ones over the years and have always been impressed with their reliability and build quality.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Well I ordered the Canon MP600 from Amazon before there were any replies. It did very well in the which report. The C4180 was just below on photo quality, but more let down by the cost of running (ink), which doesn't seem to match your experience (with good value cartridges).

So I paid for 1st class delivery, and it was due to arrive yesterday (tracking number confirmed). Well despite ParcelForce assuring me that it would arrive by 17:30, it didn't, and what really annoyed me, was that their offices closed at 17:30, so I couldn't even speak to anyone about it. So obviously they brought it round first thing this morning right? Nope, they need to do their 9 & 12 o'clock deliveries first. And here we are at 17:30 the next day, and it's still not here! What a joke. I might just cancel it, and go and pick up the HP instead.

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Well I had a call from the manager last night, apologising for the delay, and assuring me that it would be delivered this morning. Well after calling them this morning, it seems they've got that wrong too - the haven't put it on the van, so the earliest it can now be delivered is next week.

I feel that I am losing my sense of perspective, and would like some reassurance from you that murder is the right level of response from me?