Please recommend a streamer

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by danmc_82, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I'm new to streaming and currently use my PC and play via a Yamaha AV Amp.

I want a stand alone unit which has built in Hard Drive, good user interface, LCD/LED screen is a bonus.

It doesnt have to RIP cd's directly but doing so would be nice. Anything for around £200-£300?

I dont want to use cloud/itunes/anything like that - just a unit to store my FLAC onto :)

2. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Your amp has Musiccast. Have you considered just getting a NAS with DLNA compatibility? (Or even one without DLNA compatibility.)

It should be well within your budget, even including a large hard drive.

To buy an AV product with a built-in hard drive seems like a step backwards to me.

3. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Lol like I said im new to streaming :D

I have been looking at wireless hard drives, is that classed as NAS?

Anything you could recommend? I dont mind streaming from a pc, id rather have something seperate and not have to have the pc on all the time.

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    It's certainly worth trying streaming music files from your PC, if only to try out the streaming capabilities of your Yamaha AVR.

My understanding of Yamaha's MusicCast is that it requires a UPnP/DLNA media server application to provide it with the music files to stream from, as it cannot access the music files directly from a storage drive's network shared folders. There is a default DLNA media server if you are using a Windows PC, built into the Windows Media Player. However, it is not considered that reliable for streaming music files from and your better off installing & using a music file dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server instead, such as the free & well supported MinimServer:
    MinimServer features

5. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Yes, a NAS for ripped CD/hi-rez downloads is still right for some people, but for general rock/pop/soul/R&B tracks any of the music streaming services have huge catologues to stream for £10/month or so.

Have a look at the Cocktail Audio range, X10, X30 etc.

6. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have a cheap Dlink NAS which I've used for years and which works well. D-Link Products - DNS-320 - ShareCenter® 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure, (2) 3.5" Bays, SATA, RAID 0/1, Gigabit Ethernet Port, USB Print Server

The MusicCast system certainly cant access files on the NAS directly (unlike my Sonos units) but the NAS has a built-in media server that does seem to work with MusicCast. Unfortunately it is hideously slow with the number of files that I have, so I find it easier to use my PC as a media server (my PC runs constantly as I use it for video and TV also).

Rather than use Windows Media Player server, or install another, I just use the DLNA extension to FooBar2000. This is free and works very well for me. I combine this with another FooBar extension that allows remote control of FooBar from my Android tablet. The main advantage of FooBar is that it will play just about every audio file known to man, including things like SACD ISOs and DVD-Audio files. It also streams internet radio stations directly, which my Yamaha amp cant do (V-tuner only). As I used FooBar for all audio playback anyway this means that basically I continue with little or no change, except that FooBar now streams to (and controls) my Yamaha amp.

I find this very satisfactory.

7. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I dont know of any wireless NAS devices.

You may be unaware of it but, assuming that you have a router and assuming that you connect the NAS to it with an ethernet cable, then it makes no difference where the NAS is situated and it can be accessed from all your other wired or wireless devices even if the NAS itself isnt wireless.

8. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looking at Amazon, a DLink Sharecenter and a 2TB hard drive comes in at around £100 the pair. 2TB is a lot of FLAC files.

9. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    An alternative to a NAS would be to use a tiny, low powered, very cheap & reliable computer, like the Raspberry Pi and attach a USB drive to it. You can run the MinimServer UPnP media server I mentioned earlier on the Pi and the latest version also has built-in WiFi.

10. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
  11. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It should, though it's more than twice the price of the DLink and I'm not sure what you are getting extra for that, if anything.

I would be rather wary of built-in DLNA servers and would check online reviews VERY carefully before buying anything, depending on how many files you have. As I mentioned, my NAS simply cant handle the number of files I have (50,000+) at anything approaching a usable speed. So you might also want to check support forums to see if other better servers can be installed (they can on mine).

As I mentioned, I find it far better to let FooBar handle all the audio media serving though this does mean leaving my PC on (which I do all the time anyway). The idea suggested of getting a very small media PC (even a Raspberry Pi, though setting it up may be complex) or an Android media box for this isnt bad thinking at all. All of these should function perfectly well with a networked NAS and wont use much power when left on.

12. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    That Raspberry Pi looks interesting. I'd just have to buy a high capacity sd card for storage.

I do like the Droibox as well. Cant see what the maximum compatible storage each can handle though.