1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend a set of speakers for this setup...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lesmond, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks!

I'm in need of a little advice in terms of what speaker packages I should demo. My setup will be follows:

-o Sony DVP905VS DVD player (already bought)
    -o Onkyo TX-SR600E receiver (not bought yet)

I'm looking for a set of speakers that'll get the best out of both the above units, both musically (for CDs/SACDs) and home theatre.

As far as budget is concerned, I haven't set one. This is intentional (at this stage) as I have no idea what to aim for, with regards to quality. By that, I mean I don't want to set a price range for speakers when they won't do the system justice (okay, I realise that this isn't audiophile spec stuff!). I would imagine most people would catagorise the above as 'mid-range', so I'm guessing I should go after 'mid-range' spec speakers?

Now most of the speaker packages I've seen have been 5.1 setups. Well, as I'd like (eventually) to take advantage of the 6.1 setup the system will put out, I think I'll have more choice to put together a speaker package seperately. With this in mind, I can probably make do without a sub-woofer initially and just concentrate on the other 6 speakers (L, C, R, RL, RC, RR).

Again, I am asuming that if I'm wanting a good stereo playback as well as HT, I should go for a good set of 'traditional' front left and right speakers? I am assuming that front satellites will not do the job here? Should my choice of fronts influence my choice of rears? What factors should I consider when matching fronts to rears?

Currently, I'm thinking of demoing the B&W 602 S3 range and the Monitor Audio Bronze range. Do you think I'm aiming for the right areas in terms of price and performance?

Thanks for any help and advice, much appreciated!

L

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    The B&W 600 series are great speakers and work well with a wide range of kit ... both high and low priced.

I have 602s2 for fronts, LCR60s3 centre and 3x 601s2 for rears ... and they are brilliant for both AV through a Marantz SR5200 and also music through a Rotel RA1060.

Victoria

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I have to agree with sounddog on the B&W 600 series (well if you look at my signature it's what I've got :D )
    There are a lot of choices in the range and they all work well together for a consistant sound stage. Also all the speakers can be bought individually so you can have 6.1 without a spare speaker collecting dust.
    As for a subwoofer. If you have the budget then I would say a sub is a must. The B&W's will give a good bass output, but not even close to that from a sub. Depending on the size of your room and budget I can not recommend highly enough Uncle Erics power buys on the Velodine CHT-10/15 etc.
    If you do decide to go for B&W's then don't even bother to look for a cheap internet retailer. B&W do not make it easy for their speakers to be discounted. Best bet is to go to a retailer and try your luck with a small discount at time of purchase.

Happy hunting.
    Mark.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Lesmond
    When buying speakers you have to take room size and placement in to consideration as some of the rear ported speakers can sound awfull when placed close to the wall .The monitor audio bronze work well close to a wall due to being front ported wheres the B&W sound there best when given some space. When choosing speakers its more important to get the front three matched you seem to be able to get away with the rears not being exactly the same as the fronts but ideally they should be.
    hope this helps Gonzo.:)

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The closeness to the wall is exactly why I bought the DM600s3's for rears... as these are fine wall mounted, and are a little more discrete...

So DM601/2/3's front, LCR60 centre, and DM600's for rears is another configuration....

I can vouch that multi channel music sounds exceedingly good if all speakers tonally match... which is why I got a complete B+W setup (DM603/LCR60/DM600)....

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well, I'll just confuse matters a bit.

If you are looking at B&W 602s, I guess you are looking at stand mounts rather than floor standers, in which case you can afford to look at the Monitor Audio Silver range.

I found B&W 601s to be too large for my room (20x15) as Gonzo said, they really need space to work.

I settled on Kef Q1s for fronts and the Kef Q9c as a centre and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

WRT subs, there are just too many things to take into account when buying your main speakers without getting hung up on another variable at this stage. It may be that you are content with the bass produced by your front set (particularly if you get floor standers). It may also be that like many, you have a partner with an allergy to bass (evokes a twitching finger resulting in the volume being turned down or system off). It's easy to add a sub later.

7. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll look into the Monitor Silver range, but I suspect I'm pushing it with regards to cost... :rolleyes: What sort of sound would I benefit from the Silvers over the Bronze? How would the 602s compare the either monitors? Are they a good compromise, or closer to either the Bronze or Silvers in terms or price and performance?

By the way, what is the best total rear configuration - at ear level or ceiling mounted? Or does the fact that I'm after a 6.1 system pretty much decide that for me (i.e. all rears at the same ceiling level?)

The room that the system is going to live in is 12 foot by 13 foot, with the sofa along the back wall, and the AV equipment opposite (both along the longest walls, if you see what I mean!). As this is a small room, I would guess I would like to have the speakers as close to the walls to maximise usable space for other items of furniture. As it stands, one of the front speakers will be standing in front of a central heating radiator :( Will this be another case for Monitors over B&Ws, as Gonzo has suggested?

Any thoughts? (thanks to have replied previously!)

L

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I'd say that the B&W 602 would work well in your room ... my room is similar sized and have the 602's about 1m from the corner but against the wall ... they give great control especially with a good amp (I use a Rotel RA1060 for music and Marantz SR5200 for AV). I also have the right speaker by the radiator underneath the window.

In my experience ... i'd also say that the 602s are better than ANY floor stander you can get for £400 (equivilent to 602 with good stands) especially in the size of room you've got ... only if you're going for £600+ speakers as floor standers will you get anything better ... remember most cheep floorstand speakers are basically stand mounts with a wooden box attached to the bottom instead of having a stand (basically I mean most sub £500 2-way floor stand speakers).

Generally the Monitor Audio Silver range would be comprable to the B&W 600 series. Other speakers to consider at similar price would be KEF Q1 and Mission 780SE for fronts.

As for rears ... the B&W 600 would be ideal for you as they can be wall mounted and even come with suitable brackets.

Victoria

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lesmond, Is this room your lounge? do you have "a significant other" who has a say in anything. If the answer to these Qs is yes then I'd move on from the 602s very quickly as whilst they are brilliant speakers, they are HUGE. IMHO they are too big for a 13x12 room. the Monitor Audio Silver stand mounts retail for £300 a pair - very nice speakers, but you'll have to listen to them yourself to see if they are worth the increase over the bronze ( I have no doubt that thy are much better)

10. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wilber - yes this is my lounge and no-one else is gonna have a say in what I can buy (except for the bank manager!). As for the size of the room, I don't want this to be too much of a concern as I'm aiming to keep this system for as long as possible, beyond this house into the next. So if I overdue the sonics slightly, I wouldn't mind so much as I'd be safe in the knowledge that I'll be able to stretch the speakers legs in the next (hopefully larger) lounge. I'd like to overengineer the speaker choice to get some longevity out of the system!

As for the B&Ws, Sounddog says they'll work fine in a room like mind being close to the wall, but Gonzo says they need some room to 'breath' as they are rear porters...?

In terms of performance, would I be right to say the better performing speakers (regardless of room size / placement) are:

1st - Monitor Silver
    2nd - B&W 602's
    3rd - Monitor Bronze?

I'm going to start another thread with the next question, regarding 'recommended frequency ranges' so take a look at that thread if you'll indulge my curiosity!

Thanks as ever for your responses - I'll look into your other suggestions.

Any thoughts though, on what has been said so far?

L

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Les,
    You should also put Quad in your list. They are producing some fine speakers at the moment. I think the L series are superb bang for buck

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/

12. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh - my - god....

How gorgeous are those Quads?? Great reviews and good specs too...

I'll take two 12Ls, three 11Ls and an L-Centre!

Thanks Uncle Eric! :smashin:

Any others I should take a look at before booking the listening session?

L

13. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I'd give the Mission M5 range a go, I have some M51's and they are simply superb speakers, better to my ears than the Quad 11L's, B&W 602S3 and KEF Q1's I compared them with...

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I stand by my assertion that the B&W 602 will work well in your room. Now I have the series 2 and they are definately NOT rear ported, and from what I can tell/understand the series 3 arn't rear ported either.

Just for clarification though ... I have about 1m behind the speakers, but only a few inches to the side.

As for other speakers to listen to ... how about Quad L series, Acoustic Energy Evo 3 (floorstanders), Mission 780SE and KEF Q1. Make sure for any stand mount that you can budget £75 or so for a pair of stands.

As for performance ... I'd say that my 602s2 are the best of the £250-£400 speakers ... but then (a) I have always been one for B&W, and (b) I think we always will say that products we own are better than the competition that we could have bought. :)

Victoria

15. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    600 s3 = front ported. But don't benefit from being close to a wall.

I almost feel sorry for Lesmond now!

The moral of this story is that there are some great speakers out there and demos are really the only way forward.

The best I can advise is to choose a dealer who you feel you can trust & has demo facilities & can set up similar kit to yours. Loaning you speakers to take home is also an enormous help.

Good luck

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    602s2 work fine with a side wall with them toed in away from the wall in a room 13ft x 15ft. Yes the 602s have a large cabinet ... but they are all the better for it ...

13ft x 12ft isn't really a small room ... not considering the size of some modern living rooms. Okay it's not a big room ... but I really don't think you'll be disappointed with e 602s in your room.

Victoria

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I was a Quad dealer Les.
    I think the Quad L range (to my ears anyway) are the best thing Quad have produced for years. I'll have to disagree with Sounddog here and say that the 12, 21 and 22 L series speakers sound better than any B&W 600 series speaker (including the 602) I've heard thus far.
    One reason I like the Quads is for their neutrality. I don't like flavours (of which the quad has little of) which is my main bugbear with the 600 series B&W (and yes I have heard both 602 series 2 and 3 at length in the same envirionment as the Quads). I think they (the 602's) convey too much of of their own character into the equation. They are warm an fairly wooly sounding.
    Some folks like looking out of rose tinted windows.

After the Quads, I like the Moniter Audio silver range. These are also quite superb IMO

All my humble opinion of course.

18. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have to agree with Uncle Eric re the quads - stunning but too expensive for me to get past "The Gatekeeper" :blush:

19. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I guess I like the character of the B&W and (I openly admit) I havn't heard the Quads. Also as I said earlier I think it's very difficult to criticise equipment that you own ... yes it's those rose tinted windows ... or sell.

I'm not a dealer, and I don't change my equpment constantly like some people, and don't get to demo equipment that often either. I'm just someone who is enthusiastic over home cinema, read a lot of stuff (both comercial press and people's opinions here) but it together with my own opinions and try to help. I would always encourage people to come here (or read a magazine) to get ideas of what products MAY suit them, then try to listen to as many of them as possible before deciding on what is the best for them - which may not be what I consider the best, or even what Uncle Eric considers the best. I guess at times I fall into the same trap that I hate when I see others doing ... of being evangalistic over a particular product and thinking that it will be the best for everyone equally.

My main thrust has been though that the 602s are suitable for the size of room that is being discussed as I've got a room that size :)

Victoria

20. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If only I could afford the Monitor Silvers.... :(

Well, I guess I should arrange that demo soon with someone who can supply the above speakers in Reading.

Keep the comments coming though, it all makes for interesting reading, even though it might be adding to the confusion!

L

21. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    To be honest, when i heard the Quad 11L's, I really couldnt see what all the fuss was about. I feel that for the money, you were paying for a very well built speaker, but soundwise, it was neutral, you are correct there, but to me, it seemed to have little in the way of character. For starters, it sounded small, and put some hard hitting music on, and it sounded strained, and slowed the bass down.

Compare that with B&W's (602S3) and Mission's (M51) in your face presentation, and for me, these 2 speakers were a lot more enjoyable. The B&W did seem to be suited more to a larger room, but they did sound big, as their cabinet would suggest. The M51 also sounded surprisingly big, not far off the 602's to be honest, and had a smoother treble, didnt need to be pushed as hard by the amp to start singing, and are probably more suitable for a smaller room.

Thing is, I would even take the KEF Q1's over the Quad's, even these played with more gusto than the Quads, although not as enjoyable and involving as the B&W and Mission for me.

So, to the original poster, I say this: What do you want from your music? Because if its a speaker for hard hitting music (and movies) you want, then I feel I wouldnt recommend the Quads at all, as they seem far more at ease with more laid back music, which they do seem more adept at - they are very pipe and slippers.

If you want something with more grunt, I'd be looking at the B&W, Mission and Monitor Audio speakers frankly.

Uncle Eric, which amp did you use for the demo of the B&W's? Because they did not come across warm and wooly to me, but that was with Rotel electronics, and I found they had quite a tight bass, and detailed, bright treble. As I have said before though, I found the Mission better, bang on for timing, and more lucid sounding...

22. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I demoed a few sets of speakers at my local Sevenoaks and this is my opinion (demoed with a Harman Kardon 5500):

Monitor Audio Bronze (B2): Initially I wasn't that impressed. Not a bad sound, but left me wanting more. Their wasn't much in the way of high end frequency response, not much detail in the sound. A little warm sounding, but not much.

Monitor Audio Silver (S1): I wasn't expecting much out of the smallest of the silver range but *boy* was I wrong... They sounded absolutely gorgeous! A full frequency response was clear. Full of detail and controlled bass. Neutral sound and lovely imaging. You didn't need to alter the amplifier at all - just left it on direct 2Ch stereo.

B&W 602S3: Horrible. I demoed these for as long as was required. 30 seconds. The sound was boomey, lacked mid range. Had more detail than the Bronze, but not as much as the Silver. Imaging was not very good - I'd say they were quite obviously directional. Yuk.

Tried the Bronzes again, this time removing the grills. Sound was improved, quite dramatically. Instantly you could hear the detail come through (up there with the B&Ws, maybe surpassing them slightly). They were still a little directional though, but I now have more respect for them.

Tried the Silvers again with the grills added (before they were already removed). This made little difference (if any) to the sound, remaining detailed.

I'll probably demo some more speakers, comparing them to the Silvers, but I can see myself having these in my house one day....
    :rolleyes:

I'm having difficulty deciding whether I should get a pair of S2's for the fronts & S1's for the rears, or just get two pairs of S1's....
    This'll go with the SLCR centre and the Velodyne CHT-10 sub... and probably a HK AVR5550 receiver..... Any thoughts?

Here comes the repo man..... :hiya: Bye bye house....

23. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ack! Were they absolutely brand new by any chance?

MuFu.

24. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    or pushed into the corners of the demo room.

25. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I will add my advocation which i believe certainly to be the next step up from the BWs mentioned.
    My vote for the price range mentioned would be the:

Kef RDM2's available from Unilet for 450gbp (rrp700)
    These are really quite special (a search pretty much anywhere will bring the best pro reviews and owners thoughts) at 450gbp they are Fantastic if partnered with sensible amplification, a demo i feel will justify the admiration.
    Kef 200c available from Unilet for 500gbp (rrp700)
    This center is superb - just ask around. Very very popular with reviewers and owners alike
    Kef TDM34ds available from Unilet for 500gbp (rrp700)
    If di-poles are your thing (and even if they are not - listen to these speakers they may just change your mind) try these, IMHO the cheapest quality rear (di-pole) speaker out there - fantastic.

Don't sell your set-up short, buy quality the first time around, save on "up-grade-itis" now.

This speaker package represents genuine quality and performance by anyones standards for realistically budget prices.

Steve

26. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Lesmond- the B&W 6xx range is pretty awful. I might throw my 601's onto the fire one day.

They sound very splashy and boomy, the midrange is a bit lacking.

I don't know why people like em.

Agree with Steve. The Kef RDM range is fab, and the Kef Model 100 or Kef 200 (perhaps 200 a bit heavy load for a mid AV amp) blows the B&W into the weeds.

27. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Steve ... arn't the KEF RDM series more a comparison for the B&W CDM NT series - even at the prices listed the KEFs are twice the price of the B&W 600 series.

The B&W are not particularly picky about the amps that they are driven with ... but as with any speaker there are some amps that are better than others - I guess maybe the HK just doesn't suit them. With neither the Marantz SR5200, the NAD C320 nor various combinations of Rotel amps have I found the 602 to be boomy and lacking in midrange (though I do have series 2 not series 3).

In fact with some amplification I've felt the B&W 602s3 to be a little bright. In demoing with a C370 they were lacking sparkle ... but no way did I feel they were boomy and lacking midrange.

Lesmond ... I really would urge you to consider giving the B&W 602 another chance with alternative amplification. This may be unfair to say ... but I feel that maybe Sevenoaks have been pushing HK amps very hard recently (both reading threads online and from personal experience) and the Monitor Audio suited this amp - it may be worth trying to demo at an alternative store (maybe someone could recomend you a good independant).

Now as I have said previously ... I do like the sound of the B&W and will readily suggest people demo them ... and I know there are other very capable speakers out their ... but I do think that Sevenoaks have sold the B&W short if in a demo you felt them "boomy and lacking midrange".

Just my change from £9.98 ... now go out there, listen a bit more and buy what you enjoy listening to the most!!

Vikki

28. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the 601's sound great as well. Until I compared my brothers Kef Q15's- then Ruark Epilogue/Etudes. I couldn't go back to the B&W's.

Owner denial I think. I don't mind owning up I've wasted £200 on cack.

If the speakers sound bad with any moderatly good amp, then it's the speaker's fault- not the amp.

29. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Fine Nathan ... you think the 600 range is cack ... we're all allowed our opinions but to be of use to others it is helpful to justify why you think they're cack.

As I say ... listen then buy what is most enjoyable to "YOU".

30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Vikki.

In no way at any point did i remark to the detriment of the BW's, (i did not remark upon them in anyway) i have simply offered my "opinion/recommendation" for a reasonably priced speaker package.
    (based actually on your quote of 400gbp for the 6xx's on stands).
    I believe that for the little extra the gains far far outway the expense but of course a budget is a budget.
    If nothing else i would encourage people to know/understand that if only i had bought what i have now/or somewhere close instead of the copious up-grades/sidesteps/disapointments i would probably be in a larger house that was not falling down around my ears (or maybe it's the sub's causing that!!!)
    Buy the very best you can the first time and try not to think too much about compromise if you are going to take this "hobby/curse" seriously (all our aspirations exceed our incomes i do realise)
    Regards and genuine respect

Steve