Please recommend a petrol or battery interchangeable garden multi tool

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as title please any recommendations?

recently bought a large field and while I won’t be maintaining the whole thing it would be useful to be able to do bits of it.

I have a decent strimmer already, petrol so not too bothered about that.

was thinking long pruning saw and hedge trimmer Initially or maybe I’m better off buying individual units?

like the idea of battery ones if powerful enough it’s over 10 acres to walk in so don’t want to run out on the way around!

Thanks

I use the Bosch pole trimmer and pole chainsaw that use their 18v batteries. But I’m biased. They do work very well though, especially the chain saw.

as title please any recommendations?

recently bought a large field and while I won’t be maintaining the whole thing it would be useful to be able to do bits of it.

I have a decent strimmer already, petrol so not too bothered about that.

was thinking long pruning saw and hedge trimmer Initially or maybe I’m better off buying individual units?

like the idea of battery ones if powerful enough it’s over 10 acres to walk in so don’t want to run out on the way around!

Thanks
10 acres...we have 1 acre and have 2 tractors, pole pruner 2 pole saws one basic electric chainsaw one stihls long reach pole chainsaw wth harness, one stihl strimmer for small jobs and very quiet and one petrol strimmer for bigger jobs...you need gear that is useful to you plot. We have a petrol lawnmower for small areas and a hoover mower for smaller areas that are full of shrubs and stuff that requires a small machine. Look at your plot and see what is on it...trees like woodland areas, lots of grass, study the terrain then plan the tools.

Might be worth having a manual jobbie for the easier jobs.

I've this one and it works well for overhanging branches that I can't reach.

I don't seem to be able to post a link to Amazon but it's this one...
Spear and Jackson 4930FZ/03 Razorsharp Telescopic Tree Pruner

Might be worth having a manual jobbie for the easier jobs.

I've this one and it works well for overhanging branches that I can't reach.

I don't seem to be able to post a link to Amazon but it's this one...
Spear and Jackson 4930FZ/03 Razorsharp Telescopic Tree Pruner
Had one and found it really good, now got this one if you can feel you can spend more I find it easier to use than the no cords to get caught up...think it is a bit overpriced though.
Amazon product ASIN B075CTSCT8no idea if this link will work...'L' plates still...

We've got just over an acre or so, and at the risk of getting repetitive, I rate the Ryobi One+ range pretty well.

We have two hedge trimmers (one on extendable/angleable (is that a word?) poles), two chainsaws, two pruning saws, (one old stile with a reciprocating head, and the other with a mini-chainsaw head), a couple of leaf blowers, edging tool, mini trimmers, chemical spray unit, and I'm sure a few other things I've missed..... and then there's the regular tool selection too!

As long as you have a few 4.0ah batteries to hand, you'll tire before they do.

If there's an option to buy a brushed or brushless version of a tool, always stump up the extra cash for the brushless. Far more efficient, and powerful.

You'll never be short of a tool to buy using their eco-system..... I've posted this photo before, but it shows a selection of my collection!

IMG_0923.jpg

Most of the garden tools aren't showing in this photo - maybe I need to update it?! :D

Having said that - if you're just after a chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and pruning saw, then Stihl do a really good line of semi-professional garden tools. I believe they're a higher voltage with more capacity than the Ryobi stuff, so might be worth a look. But as with all higher-end stuff, they do become more of a target for thievery from sheds and the like. Our garden 'helper' has had his tools nicked more than once from his storage - no-ones going to bother with the Ryobi stuff.

Cheers for the replies guys still not purchased anything I’m managing with my original stuff but will spend soon I’m sure! On a plus side we picked 2 kg of sloes from a walk around the field yesterday off to buy gin now :)

Bought a strange variety of stuff in the end, a decent stihl strimmer with brush cutter and self feed cord head, just ordered a Bosch cordless 18v pole saw, and got a quad bike which has no use for pruning but is great fun! I’m now after a cordless nail gun that will fire those u shaped nails into fence posts.

strimming a safe (ish) path across the field.
1FA93DF4-4AFD-4E76-AD93-15803BA0E76F.jpeg

6DE1097C-1CC3-404A-AE6B-C8757FF090E3.jpeg

and got all stuff needed to keep pigs which we collect next week!
E4BF13A2-2C48-477F-93B2-28A21EC3A399.jpeg

First impressions of that little bosch are pretty Impressive battery lif isn’t long though I did about 50 m of my probable 1km of boundary but it went through some decent branches :) do the spare batteries ever come up on deals? As could do with another 3 I guess, is the chainsaw easy to use ? I’m debating getting it but tbh a little scared of chainsaws. @KyleS1 im sure you are the man in the know

First impressions of that little bosch are pretty Impressive battery lif isn’t long though I did about 50 m of my probable 1km of boundary but it went through some decent branches :) do the spare batteries ever come up on deals? As could do with another 3 I guess, is the chainsaw easy to use ? I’m debating getting it but tbh a little scared of chainsaws. @KyleS1 im sure you are the man in the know
I’m scared of chainsaws too but the chain pole is so simple to use. Plus the spinny blade is much further away. :D
I won’t use a normal chainsaw but have no issues with the pole one.
what did you use? The pole hedge trimmer? I don’t like that as much. Seems much more top heavy than the chainsaw.
Dunno about battery deals, I get them free ;)

I can use our pole saw and various other tools easily, but when it come to the chainsaws we have, I leave that to the other half...quite willing to hold the 1 metre logs in place while he saws them through. Accidents happen too easily and Husband, 2 years back now, cut his hand real bad...had gloves on using a chop saw and one of the gloves got caught and result was a trip to the Hospital and after care at home a visiting nurse daily for at least a month....
I have a set of interchangeable wolf tools that serves me well as a female....rake, hoe, fruit picker, weeder, small fork and spade, branch cutter...very useful for small jobs. favorite tool a long reach pruner...you can prune trees and hedges,,,slowly, being that it is a hand tool.... but with really good reach.....no ladder required

Last edited:
I've 25 acres and a lot of 2 stroke tools/hand tools (meh) to look after it all. Any questions just ask.

I’m scared of chainsaws too but the chain pole is so simple to use. Plus the spinny blade is much further away. :D
I won’t use a normal chainsaw but have no issues with the pole one.
what did you use? The pole hedge trimmer? I don’t like that as much. Seems much more top heavy than the chainsaw.
Dunno about battery deals, I get them free ;)

sorry no notifications on this post, yes the pole saw used it every day for a battery worth think it’s brilliant it’s for hawthorn sloe and the like so kind of 4 inch branches and not too tiring for 45 mins! Not taken with any other tools in the range yet maybe a chainsaw on the list next!

This is the sort of area I’m clearing at the moment
81F9B810-5F2D-43D2-8258-53578E1C8A0E.jpeg
5BDEEB61-B59C-4FBF-A533-9DBAE94E6FB3.jpeg

now that's real hard work...not called gardening at all:facepalm:and there was me talking garden tools.....just three random tools off the internet...
View attachment 1404900View attachment 1404905View attachment 1404900View attachment 1404905View attachment 1404908

Tools like these are expensive but if you buy cheap they will not last and that land is not going to stop growing and to manage it you need some heavy duty gear...100%. Our acre is easy for us because No.1 its flat..first time we had a flat garden...No.2 Grass so tractor mowers sort that.No3 only small amount of flower beds as weeds grow overnight.....lots of shrubs and two small ponds and raised beds..that kind of stuff would be ok near to your property as a 'garden area' the huge area you have cannot possibly be kept neat so maybe aim to separate some areas of choice for various projects...motor cycle track if its your thing..... grazing if you want more animals than pigs...which you will enjoy til/if they breed then you need more than one pen......wildlife in abundance though is a payback for you.

2 stroke brush cutter*

Mines a 65cc and with the right blade attachment will chew through anything. Even young trees up to a few inches in diameter. Loud though!

Good ones cost £££ though. I use Yamaha engines for everything except chainsaws these days. Same power, better build quality and 2/3 the price as the equivalent Sthil/Husky.

Yes I bought a second hand stihl fs90 and used one of those tri blades on some bramble areas, slow progress but worked well, changed the head for line to get through the dead Bracken, I can climb thro to field from our garden so do an hour here and there, it’s easy to see a difference is cheap and enjoyable so taking time and enjoying it.

Yes I bought a second hand stihl fs90 and used one of those tri blades on some bramble areas, slow progress but worked well, changed the head for line to get through the dead Bracken, I can climb thro to field from our garden so do an hour here and there, it’s easy to see a difference is cheap and enjoyable so taking time and enjoying it.
good.... life needs to be enjoyable and doing work in the garden I just love because even 1 acre needs looking after..I reckon your plot will change over time..grazing land is good like I see you are utilizing by the cows for a start...horses eat lots of greenage but then they also can eat just what they should not with many poisonous wild flowers that can actually kill them...our last property was next to a farm that the owner first had cows on the land...funny now because we had a gate to his land that he agreed we could walk his land and left the gate open one day...hey presto a cow came in our garden...he looked so huge but we got him back to his pastures ok...lesson learnt...stick to cows as horses are so delicate really because he hired it out to the nearby stables 100% horses man and after a few years there was a problem with some of them..many died through eating certain wild flowers that were not removed...so sad...then they through giggery pokerie the owner or the farm got permission to build business units...went to court when he got refused but he was already changing his land in prep,,he knew it would get overturned...multi millionaire.... after a fight with locals...he won... got rid of the cows the unmade lane was changed to a tarmac lane with street lighting and it was a real nightmare...write a book on the whole story... for us and others also time to move on...we sold up and followed our dream....:) good move for us....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom