Please recommend a passive LCR speaker bar with widest possible channel separation (imaging)

enderGC

Novice Member
Short version: I am looking for a recommendation for a passive LCR speaker bar that would provide the widest sound stage (or is it imaging?). I mean left/right separation for TV and movie watching in a family room. I will be adding a sub and 2 surrounds shortly after, but this is about the LCR bar. Thanks! (keep reading if you want more details)

Long version: I already have a proper 5.2.4 setup in the basement, so I know the "right" thing to do is have discrete separate speakers at the right height and distance, etc. I read all the anti-ceiling-speaker posts here, and I agree with them. My wife is dead set against bookshelves or free standing, and I don't have enough wall space for in-walls. I know many of your instincts will try to talk me into another solution, but believe me when I say convincing her to do a 3 channel speaker bar was quite an effort.

So I'm trying to learn what speaker bar is best for my needs. That's where I could use the help. It will primarily be used as a family movie and TV setup, not for music. Once I find the LCR bar, I'll pair it with a sub with the proper response and crossover, and 2 similar sounding surrounds for a 5.1-ish system.

Obviously, most of these bars are 40-60" wide at most, so physical channel separation is not going to be as wide as separate L/R channels, but some manufacturers claim they can give the perception of more width with cancellation and other clever techniques. Is it marketing BS?

For example, I'm willing to spend the money for a Goldenear Supercinema, which claims to have a massive sound stage. But is it really worth 4-6x the cost of say, a Dayton Audio BS41?

Ok folks, given all that, what bar would you recommend? Thanks for reading it all, and thanks for your help!

(Let me know if this should be in the soundbar forum instead - I put it here because technically they are speakers, right?)

Last edited:

enderGC

Novice Member
I guess this was moved to the soundbar forum after all - probably the right place.

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with a passive LCR speaker bar that provides decent imaging (doesn't need to be the best) for surround sound movie effects. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

D

Deleted member 901590

I would've thought this would be in the speakers forum, as that's where we talk more about passive speakers. But anyway... would suggest if @John24ssj could kindly help give you a link to his recent findings with a passive LCR bar he's set up for his parents.

enderGC

Novice Member
That's what I thought originally, so I posted in speakers, but it was moved by a mod I guess.

Also - I posted in speakers in that other av forum site also (not sure if it's against the rules to mention other sites), and the response from the speakers group was very anti-bar.

Don't get me wrong, they were very helpful, but I got a lot of recommendations about mounting 3 bookshelf speakers horizontally under the TV, and no specific speaker bar recommendations.

I'll look at John24ssj's posts to see if I can find his opinion. But if he or anyone else can chime in with their experience, I'd appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 901590

enderGC

Novice Member
Looks like John24ssj hit the jackpot with that used Artcoustic. I'll have to keep an eye on the used market. Any other suggestions for brands and models I should look out for?

D

Deleted member 901590

I think there were a few other options mentioned in that thread above. If not mentioned in there, there is Klipsch, who do an LCR passive bar too.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Another option is the Artison Studio by Savant - available with custom grille to match your display and include additional side firing ‘stage’ tweeters to deliver a wider soundcstage.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom