Please recommend a great DVD/ HDD Recorder

southpaw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I currently have a Panny DMR E85H which has been used for many years but lately is becoming unreliable (switching itself off,struggling to start up etc) so I'm looking to replace it.

I have skyHD so am looking for a machine that I can use to backup programmes onto dvd. Blu Ray would be nice but as I have a Blu Ray player that ain't too important.

I was hoping to spend under £300 (obviously cheaper the better originally wanted to spend around £150 until I started looking!!!). And have been looking at Panny and Sony but am open to ideas. I was all up for getting Sony SVR- HDT500 as I liked ALL the features but reviews don't seem to be that good.

AND I notice there is no scart which would be an issue as I need to back up VCR tapes too. So that seems to be ruled out.

Any ideas/recommendations appreciated.

Hi everyone

I currently have a Panny DMR E85H which has been used for many years but lately is becoming unreliable (switching itself off,struggling to start up etc) so I'm looking to replace it.

I have skyHD so am looking for a machine that I can use to backup programmes onto dvd. Blu Ray would be nice but as I have a Blu Ray player that ain't too important.

I was hoping to spend under £300 (obviously cheaper the better originally wanted to spend around £150 until I started looking!!!). And have been looking at Panny and Sony but am open to ideas. I was all up for getting Sony SVR- HDT500 as I liked ALL the features but reviews don't seem to be that good.

AND I notice there is no scart which would be an issue as I need to back up VCR tapes too. So that seems to be ruled out.

Any ideas/recommendations appreciated.

Firstly the Sony unit you mention is a PVR not a DVDR so it would have been no good for your purposes. [ PVR's cannot record from external sources ]

The current range of Sony DVDR's are not recommended [ They are in fact made by Samsung ] ... They have a poor reputation here.

Consider the Panasonic DMREX773.

If you want deeper extra features consider the Panasonic DMREX83.

Details available here.

If you want to venture into the HD world and Bluray then first see this thread, and consider the DMR BW780 or 880.

You might also consider the halfway house of the XW380. The above thread will explain the important differences.

Details here

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom