PLease recommend a decent pair of headphones

laughalot

I am going to be in Toronto in December and want to invest in a pair of headphones. I know I will have to audition but what should I be looking for and what are reasonable prices. Last pair of headphones I owned was way back in 1984 Micro Sieki Electrostatics they were great but and absolute pain until they warmed up.
$250 is the upper limit of my budget
Any Canadians can you recommend a good store.
Cheers

Last edited:

Drubbing

Electrostatics are a different world. You'd be lucky to pick any up 2nd hand for the same price you paid in 84. I believe the Seike were made by STAX, who still make statics, and you don't get change from $000,s

You question is way too general. Some people think $100 is reasonable for a good pair of headphones. It depends what you're after and what gear you have to use them with.

Beware of what gear you audition phones with - a store will usually hook them up to great gear and well recorded music, and this may not replicate on your gear, if it's basic.

Canadian prices should be pretty good, given the proximity to the US, where everything electronic is well priced. $250 should get you something pretty good. I'd stick to trying out renowned headphone brands like Beyer, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Grado, if they are well priced in Canada, which I doubt. Grado have a terrible pricing outside the US.

Last edited:

laughalot

Electrostatics are a different world. You'd be lucky to pick any up 2nd hand for the same price you paid in 84. I believe the Seike were made by STAX, who still make statics, and you don't get change from $000,s

You question is way too general. Some people think $100 is reasonable for a good pair of headphones. It depends what you're after and what gear you have to use them with.

Beware of what gear you audition phones with - a store will usually hook them up to great gear and well recorded music, and this may not replicate on your gear, if it's basic.

Canadian prices should be pretty good, given the proximity to the US, where everything electronic is well priced. $250 should get you something pretty good. I'd stick to trying out renowned headphone brands like Beyer, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, or Grado, if they are well priced in Canada, which I doubt. Grado have a terrible pricing outside the US.
Creek Evolution CD
Yamaha RX V3800 Amp

My opinion my gear is in the good to very good range but not excellent. More than enough for my needs. I will however add a Tube power AMp in the future as well as A turntable. Probably a Thorens

Trending threads

Top Bottom