Please recomend an aerial for freeview

Kong

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba 32wlt68 in my bedroom and at the moment im using an indoor aerial, but i dont seem to be picking up many channels.

Using auto tuning i am only able to find 15 tv channels, 3 radio and 3 text. The quality of the signal shows that a few of the channels are good but most are poor.

The aerial isnt a good one, i think it was only a fiver from woolworths. Can somebody please recommend something that will sort it out so i can receive all the freeview channels.

Ive also checked the freeview coverage in my area and im receiving half of those available to me.

thanks for your help

Loads of advice on here if you search.
In the meantime have a look here to see what's recommended for your postcode

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

It's generally on the pessimistic side but still a useful guide

would i need a signal booster or a new aerial?

Bite the bullet and pay someone to install a new roof aerial.

Worth the money in the long run, if you consider that an aerial will last about 20 years.

£150 - £200 should get a good aerial installed.

Bite the bullet and pay someone to install a new roof aerial.

Worth the money in the long run, if you consider that an aerial will last about 20 years.

£150 - £200 should get a good aerial installed.

yeh, but im living in my parents house so im looking for a decent solution for the next 8months

i used the wolfbane thing and i cant make sense of it. i dont really understand what im looking at or looking for. mabe you can make more sense of it. my postcode is CF64 1AY.

You appear to be in the fortunate position of being only 5 miles from the Wenvoe transmitter and, local conditions and terrain excepted, need only a simple log-periodic aerial.
However, the recommendation given on wolfbane is based on the aerial being mounted outside at a height of 10M.

An example of a log-periodic aerial is shown here and the first thing to do is to try any aerial outside - being indoors will cut the signal drastically as well as being affected by objects/people/movement in the room

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11f.htm

You may also find useful advice here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm

and here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/logperiodic.htm

yeh, but im living in my parents house so im looking for a decent solution for the next 8months

You could try and convince your parents to pay the other half for a new aerial, they'll be still be using it long, long after you move out.

My recommendation, should you decide to go for an aerial installer, is to use whatever aerial they are comfortable with.

£150 to £200 is a huge sum of money cheaper to do it yourself for £60 or so. buy a XG8 or XG12/16 depending on where you live..these are multi cross elements antennas. the XG8 is quiet small for its size but i would not put any antenna in the loft but if you do. you will lose a bit of signal probably at least 40% . lofts tend to be covered in lagging which can stop signals from reaching the antenna

im going to try and see if i can get better reception from the current aerial. does anybody have any tips on positioning indoor aerials?

yeh, i read that thank you. imve been trying for a few hours now and cant seem to get any better. it keeps fluctuating in he number of programs found.

i just found the perfect position where ive picked up 109 programmes. i now have every freeview channel on good reception.

i also popped down argos and picked up the telecam tce 2001. it did pick up more channels than my previous aerial when pu in the same position and angle, so i guess it was a crap aerial to start with.

"No matches" :(

I have a similar requirement and am looking for recommendations on indoor aerials for freeview. The Philips ones with 40db gain on ebay look like they'll do the job - anyone tried them?

Don't know why the link doesn't work but if you go to the search box (at the top of the page) and type in indoor aerial there are loads of results

Attachments

• SnapYa! snapshot.jpg
    SnapYa! snapshot.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 54
Thanks mate...got loads to sift through now. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom