PLease recomend a Turntable for Me

laughalot

Established Member
Reaction score
:lease:
Way back before I immigrated (1994)I was using A Linn LP12 with Itok Arm and Sumiko Oyster Blue Cartridge. I would love to be able to afford the same today but its just not possible. My budget is about 500 Stirling. System Im using is; Yamaha RX V3800 Amp; Monitor Audio RX1 speakers with a Paradigm DSP 3400 Subwoofer. Love all types of music but Classic Jazz and Classical Guitar are my favourites. I have no Bias or prejudice toward any make but have been out of the game for so long that I dont really know where to start.

Cheers

Have a look at the forum Lenco Heaven. I went from an LP12 like yours to a Lenco (using the Ittok) and have never looked back. Potentially the Lenco is world class.

Nic.

If you want new then look at Rega and Project ranges.

Second hand then stuff like Mitchell, Linn, Garrard 301/301, Thorens TD160, 124 or Lenco if you want to do a little work.

Buy a used LP12? You should get one for £500.

A Linn Axis is cheaper and does share some of the Linn flavour. It's leaner and lighter sounding but still rhythmically solid.

Ariston RD11 and RD11s are very cheap and sound pretty much identical to an early LP12. Many LP12 parts fit too so you can upgrade them but they're nice standard.

If you liked the LP12/Ittok I doubt if you'd like a Michell. Is second hand even an option or must it be new?

Absaloodle second hand is an option, however I live in Israel an not too many second hand turntables going around so I might have to go for new. I was thinking of the Thorens TD240 with AT 95 cartridge

I believe that the majority of Lenco's were idler drive and these by now would have gone hard or even perished. Some of the tone arms were a lttle crude. I would suggest looking at Lenco Heaven to get an idea of what mods you would need to do to improve them.
If you really liked the Linn sound then either a LP12 or Axis would be worth tracking down. I always prefered the Roksan Xerves and Pink Triangles. Each to their own.

Project RPM-1 is available for about 300 sterling and the PROJECT DEBUT 3 for a little more

Last edited:
Go and get a demo and see what you think. The Projects are simple well designed turntables and if you like the sound then it could be the one for you. Probably a better bet than the Thorens. I'm not sure how they compare price wise.

I live in Israel an not too many second hand turntables going around

I'd love to visit Israel. If you buy a deck in Britain I could take care of packing it up and arranging shipping if that helps? I'd be happy to do that for you, although you'd need to pay for it ;0) Just a thought. A nice deck if bound to come up eventually if you wait.

Go and get a demo and see what you think. The Projects are simple well designed turntables and if you like the sound then it could be the one for you. Probably a better bet than the Thorens. I'm not sure how they compare price wise.
Thorens TD 295 is about 800 Sterling. this is an expensive country for electronic Goods

Buy a Project to use daily and buy a Lenco for tinkering with!

You can never have too many Turntables :)

I'd love to visit Israel. If you buy a deck in Britain I could take care of packing it up and arranging shipping if that helps? I'd be happy to do that for you, although you'd need to pay for it ;0) Just a thought. A nice deck if bound to come up eventually if you wait.

thanks for the offer. I am going to Canada for 3 weeks in December when I return I might just take you up on your offer

I am going to Canada for 3 weeks in December when I return I might just take you up on your offer

No problem. If I see any nice turntables for sale locally I'll let you know. Better check out shipping costs though, I've never sent anything to Israel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom