Please Reccommend Me A New Tv!! Budget £400

Lankz

Established Member
Reaction score
For Standard definition Sky tv.. aswell as Xbox 360 via HDMI, with a Budget of £400..

I currently have this: Samsung LE37R87 - 37" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV - With: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

so it has to be better than the one i have!!

But i am looking for a Full HD LCD with a crisp & clear picture as the one i have is 5 years old now and i would like a more up to date & better quality one..

i recently bought this thinking it would be a vast improvement: Samsung LE40D580 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

but the picture was suprising very similiar to the one i have, even though it was full HD? :( not impressed.. was this because my current one is still £800 and my new one £400??

my new one also had a few issues that you can read here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1548759-do-not-buy-samsung-le40d580.html#post15861681 so im returning it tomorrow..

any reccommendations would be very grateful? :)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Samsung's D series LCD models like the D580/D550 are inferior to last years models such as the excellent c580 (as long as you don't watch many blu-ray movies as there's telecine judder)

I would recommend the C580 as the standard definition processing is superb (your sky hd), the on-board scaling engine seems a rare gem. It's excellent in every other regard with the added bonus of the media player built in (plays anything via usb or network). To top that it boasts Samsung's very own well renowned Valencia processor and as you will know a decent processor is absolutely paramount.

Xbox looks brilliant and if you can handle an input lag of a reported 35ms approx (hdtvtest) then you're fine.

On the other hand it seems Samsung's quality control has worsened terribly (the amount of sets i've had to return due to faults is ridiculous). Also my old B550 still blows every LCD/LED/Plasma 2010/11 model away (with the Samsung C580 and Sony EX503 rare exceptions)

I actually had no motion problems with the C580 despite it only been a 50hz set, I put this down to the excellent processor

I know the c580 is discontinued but all the 2011 sets are of incredibly low quality compared with the 2009/10 range as you have noticed with the terrible D580. They boast excellent specs on paper but we don't watch TV on paper and in the real world these sets are far inferior

If you find the C580 then I'd go for it, Amazon have it but only as Used - Like New for under £400, obviously do plenty of reading about and perhaps visit a local electrical store

Good Luck

Samsung's D series LCD models like the D580/D550 are inferior to last years models such as the excellent c580 (as long as you don't watch many blu-ray movies as there's telecine judder)

I would recommend the C580 as the standard definition processing is superb (your sky hd), the on-board scaling engine seems a rare gem. It's excellent in every other regard with the added bonus of the media player built in (plays anything via usb or network). To top that it boasts Samsung's very own well renowned Valencia processor and as you will know a decent processor is absolutely paramount.

Xbox looks brilliant and if you can handle an input lag of a reported 35ms approx (hdtvtest) then you're fine.

On the other hand it seems Samsung's quality control has worsened terribly (the amount of sets i've had to return due to faults is ridiculous). Also my old B550 still blows every LCD/LED/Plasma 2010/11 model away (with the Samsung C580 and Sony EX503 rare exceptions)

I actually had no motion problems with the C580 despite it only been a 50hz set, I put this down to the excellent processor

I know the c580 is discontinued but all the 2011 sets are of incredibly low quality compared with the 2009/10 range as you have noticed with the terrible D580. They boast excellent specs on paper but we don't watch TV on paper and in the real world these sets are far inferior

If you find the C580 then I'd go for it, Amazon have it but only as Used - Like New for under £400, obviously do plenty of reading about and perhaps visit a local electrical store

Good Luck

Thankyou very much for the reply, it is confusing like as i was hoping this new tv would be far superior to my 5 year old Samsung LE37R87BD, lol..

i only watch Standard def Sky tv, and play Xbox 360 (although i watch dvds on my Xbox also so i can watch them in HD, will this matter as regards to Telecine Judder? or is this only a problem for Blu-Ray?)

couple of questions, when i phone to return the D580 tomorrow, will i have to pay for the return myself?? if so, will i be refunded this money when im refunded for the tv??

also, do you suggest a tv for me around £400 that is better than my current LE37R87BD?? apart from the C580..

the C580 sounds good, but i cant find it absolutely anywhere, i looked for weeks before settling on the D580.. plus i dont really want to find another £200 and im not interested in a second hand tv! lol.. so any alternatives would be grateful??

as for the Input Lag, i dont notice any at all on the D580, although i dont know what it is as i cant find the info on Input Lag for this tv anywhere, but it is acceptable..

Last edited:
the telecine judder will be a problem with most Hollywood DVD's AFAIK, depends how sensitive you are

Amazon have really good CS when I returned a faulty product went through the website, printed off a label and they picked it up quickly and free (and refunded within 3 days)

the ONLY other set I would recommend is the Sony 40" EX503 (£470/£517 with 5 year warranty) at richer sounds but you would need to go instore) bare in mind though the lag on this set is reported as 60ms approx (hdtvtest). Personally I couldn't notice it but i'm a casual gamer.

Thankyou, i dont notice this Telecine judder on my LE37R87BD so hopefully i wont notice any motion problems on the C580 if i decide to purchase this..

does this Telecine Judder only effect dvds? aslong as it doesnt effect Sky tv or gaming i could live with it..

the problem is, i phoned them this afternoon and bought it from Amazon but through Southern Electronics, so its them i have to phone tomorrow to return it according to Amazon, lol.. annoying third party! so hopefully there is no problems..

i have inboxed you with help regarding the C580..

Last edited:
Thankyou, i dont notice this Telecine judder on my LE37R87BD so hopefully i wont notice any motion problems on the C580 if i decide to purchase this..

does this Telecine Judder only effect dvds? aslong as it doesnt effect Sky tv or gaming i could live with it..

the problem is, i phoned them this afternoon and bought it from Amazon but through Southern Electronics, so its them i have to phone tomorrow to return it according to Amazon, lol.. annoying third party! so hopefully there is no problems..

i have inboxed you with help regarding the C580..

the telecine judder will only affect Hollywood DVD's and ALL Blu-ray movies, anything that's @ 24p basically

good luck let me know how you get on with what you decide

the telecine judder will only affect Hollywood DVD's and ALL Blu-ray movies, anything that's @ 24p basically

good luck let me know how you get on with what you decide

Ok thankyou very much :) ill save up for the C580 instead!

help appreciated alot!

I'm very pleased with my Samsung LE40C580, but doubt whether you will be able to source a new one at any price, & used is a gamble but maybe worth a punt.

A couple of TVs worthy of consideration...

Sony KDL40CX523. £346 (net of £100 Cashback) at Amazon.

Panasonic TXP42S30. £451 at Amazon.

Last edited:
Cheers Russ, it looks like i will buy the C580 as it sounds more trustworthy..

quite appalled by the D580, although it supports 24p and the C580 doesnt..

i can get the 40 here: £534 but it is rather expensive to the £399 i paid for the D580..

or the 32inch model here: Samsung LE32C580 - Compare Prices - PriceRunner UK for £370??

so i dont know whether to pay more and get the 40 or save some money and get the 32? :( lol.. theres quite a price difference between the two!!

which do you suggest??

Last edited:
I don't recommend the 32" C580. Though both 32" & 40" use Samsung S-PVA Panels, the 32" Panel is an older & inferior specification, hence the 32" didn't get such good reviews as the 40".

I paid £354 for my LE40C580 brand new. I personally wouldn't pay £534 for it. For that money, I'd be looking for a deal on the Panasonic TXP42G30

£354 brand new!? how come its £530 now then?? youd think it would go down, not up? i wish i could find it for the price you paid!

im set on the LE40C580 (if its as good as everyone is saying then its worth it i think) not keen on the Panasonic for the fact its a Plasma..

the D580 wouldve been perfect for me if it had Samsung's own processor (picture quality is very noticeable) and i was able to control my Sky box with its remote! lol.. which still baffles me!

ill just search around and see if i can get the LE40C580 anywhere for cheaper before paying for it..

who thought searching for a new tv would be so much hassle! lol

Last edited:
I was very fortunate to get mine for £354 ... involved Quidco cashback & Egg Mastercard cashback.

From January to around May this year, the LE40C580 was available in the region of £380 to £400. The most expensive deal was £499 inc 5 Year Warranty at John Lewis.

If you don't want Plasma, the Panasonic TXL42E30 is a Which? 'Best Buy'.

Ohhh right that explains it, lol..

is there a reason theyve discontinued the LE40C580 then? if it was such a good tv? its only 2 years old so doesnt make sense..

if i could get it for around £400 brand new i would jump at it!

guess its back to looking around again in shops, thanks for the reccommendations though ill check them out also..

P.S. - What is this Used - Like New option on Amazon??? because theyre selling the LE40C580 for £350..

Last edited:
Ohhh right that explains it, lol..

is there a reason theyve discontinued the LE40C580 then? if it was such a good tv? its only 2 years old so doesnt make sense..

if i could get it for around £400 brand new i would jump at it!

guess its back to looking around again in shops, thanks for the reccommendations though ill check them out also..

P.S. - What is this Used - Like New option on Amazon??? because theyre selling the LE40C580 for £350..

Every year (January) the new sets for the year are announced and thus the previous years models are discontinued.

Not sure when production stops for a model, probably depends on the manufacturer. So thats why around January/February you can pick up some bargains as stores try to clear the old stock. After that stock becomes limited and prices can start going up as new models are released.

Aaron

I've never bought an Amazon Warehouse 'Used Like New' deal.

I've read mixed reviews by buyers. Some have said the product appears to be brand new, some that it was faulty & sent it straight back.

I think you would have until 31st Dec to return the TV at Amazon's expense. The Warranty (I think) is only 90 days.

Every year (January) the new sets for the year are announced and thus the previous years models are discontinued.

Not sure when production stops for a model, probably depends on the manufacturer. So thats why around January/February you can pick up some bargains as stores try to clear the old stock. After that stock becomes limited and prices can start going up as new models are released.

Aaron

Aghh right, that makes sense..

do you think the C580 will drop from £530 then over Xmas? or will that be the cheapest i will get it now brand new??

ive had a good look round town today and cant find any tv under £500 that has a great picture quality :( quite a shame!

which is why i want the C580..

I've never bought an Amazon Warehouse 'Used Like New' deal.

I've read mixed reviews by buyers. Some have said the product appears to be brand new, some that it was faulty & sent it straight back.

I think you would have until 31st Dec to return the TV at Amazon's expense. The Warranty (I think) is only 90 days.

I think i'll scrap thinkin of buying it used then, lol..

ill just look into buyin the C580 brand new :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom