1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please read before starting any Multi room project

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by ntslik, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

This is just a quick note to inform people to speak to either ourselves or any multi-room expert before installing Cat5 cable into a house, we have been approached by many customers wanting to fit multi-room into houses, there are a few types of Cat5 cable on the market and depending on what type you use can often narrow down your options, there is also different ways the cat5 needs to be installed.

We have experienced a couple of cases where the customer has pre-installed cat5 incorrectly and therefore reducing their options of what system they can buy, i'm here to help in anyway I can.

Thanks

2. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Neil,
    Could you explain this a little more? What do you mean by the different types of Cat5 and the different ways they are installed.
    Thanks

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    CAT5e or CAT6 (Good Quality) and there are so many systems out there you can usually find one that suits.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Look out for my BIG balun post over the next week that covers devices that use Cat5 :) for multiroom etc

5. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    hornydragon & The Beekeeper, Thanks for your feedback.
    I am still interested to see what Neil has to say about the different types of Cat5 and how different installations can limit the options for a multi-room project.

6. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The real problem we are facing is some customers are using standard Cat5 and then wiring them straight from one main centre station to each room, if you wanted to go for the very popular Opus system you would need to use the Balanced Transmission cable (Cat5 with power) which is needed to power the amps, when wiring an Opus system the Cat5 runs from the main control to power amp and then on to the main control and then onto the sub-zone and speakers, where makes like Living control, Russound etc. need cat5 wiring direct to wall panel and speakers wiring back to the main control.

Although I didn't want to make out the whole multi-room thing is complicated it was more of a friendly warning after we have been approached by a couple of people who are now very disappointed with the thought of a re-wire.

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The multi room thing IS complicated which is one reason why installers charge the sort of money they do. There are (too) many options, some of them horribly expensive and all of them confusing to the average punter.
    Undoubedly it will get easier as manufacturers get to grips with boxed kits of parts. Yamaha seem to have the right sort of idea with their wireless musicast system and I would expect to see a lot more wireless solutions in the not too distant future especially for thr diy market. Professional installers however will continue to insist on a hard wired system for the forseeable future if only to prevent multiple callbacks on wireless systems that dont quite make the grade.