Please Please Please Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrapbook, Jun 27, 2002.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Someone must have some advice I can use!

I have had a Sony Home Theatre Kit for 6 months now (the slim line amp version - 80w per channel), no idea how good this system is, but it met my needs at the time.

Anyway I am not convinced the Pascal speakers are much cop, call it a gut instinct - they seem particulary bad on CD music, but not too bad on DD or DTS films.

THe time has come when I feel a need to upgrade the speakers, what do I go for? I am on a budget and am currently considering the Mission M72 - are these likely to hit the spot for me?

The speakers I have at the moment have a frequency range of 160hz to 20khz - what does this mean in comparison with the Missions that are 68hz to 20khz?

What makes a good speaker good? Is it the frequency range? or is that a stoopid question in the first place? And are there any compatibility problems between speakers and amps I should know about?

THanks for any help!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your gut instinct is correct and the Sony Pascal speakers are probably a weak link in your system that can be improved by changing to Missions.

Frequency Response is one aspect of a speaker but quality of design and engineering plus the components used have a great deal more effect on how a speaker will sound.

The bottom end of your current speakers, quoted at 160Hz, is too high and I presume that you are using a Sony sub woofer that will extend the frequency range down further.

A decent speaker should go down to 50Hz or 60Hz with a subwoofer taking care of the sub bass frequencies below that. The Missions will improve the overall sound quality but it won't be long before you start hankering after a decent sub woofer as well.

Welcome to home cinema

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    scrapbook, from the forum guidelines,
    Other post
    Clutters the forum unnecessarily. :)