1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please please please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by monkeyleader, Feb 2, 2002.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    before I pull my hair out could comeone please give me some help.

I have the yamaha dsp620 amp and have it setup as follows ;

sky digital = scart - svideo (2 phone for audio)
    ps2 = ps2cable - svideo (optical for audio)
    ntl = scart - svide (2 phono for audio)
    monitor out on amp (svideo - scart on tv )

Okay so all looks connected fine ... and when I choose say digital tv on the amp .. .I have hear the audio but no sound .. When I go to the output on the tv I only see the setup screen for the amp .. ideas please as its starting to effect my sanity ..... I want to see the picture !!!

cheers,

nige

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You have your Digibix, NTL box and PS2 all connected to the s-video input on the amp.

Do these three components actually output s-video because my Digibox doesn't.

On 27th January you asked how to connect up your system and Doubledoom (who knows a thing or two about these matters) went into great detail about how it should be done.

You seem to have ignored his advice and connected it up differently with the result that not only will it not work but you have wasted money buying the wrong cables.

Use the search facility available on the forum to search your own posts and re-read what Doubledoom advised you to do in the first instance.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking to set up my system like this but I am informed by reliable sources on here that you cannot use a scart to svideo cable from a device that does not output svideo. You could use the cable for a dvd player that has an svideo enabled scart output but not PS2 etc.

What you need to do is connect these items up with scart-3RCA cables and take the composite monitor out on your amp to the scart on your TV.

It seems that you have spent a lot of cash on the wrong cables, see if you can get them changed for scart-composite instead.

S

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paiger,

If he wires up everything through the composite socket on his amp he will then lose the benefit of RGB from the Digibox and probably the NTL box as well.

Better to connect directly to the TV

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Two rules that always help to lessen problems for me:

Avoid composite connections.

Forget about routing video through an amp.

I have the AX620, and would never entertain the posibility of shoving my video through it when I can connect by RGB directly through a decent switch box like the Quattro, and leave my amp to concentrate on the one and only thing it should be asked to do - sort out the sound.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I agree with you guys. I was looking into doing the same thing, purely for convenience and because I am planning to get a projector set up soon. However I have decided for now to leave it at Scarts so I can avoid composite. If I could have done it with Svideo I may have but it's not possible.

S

7. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    guys,

I must apologise if it seemed as if I didnt pay attention to what had been told - believe me, being a newbie to all this I did, but I did get other information and what Im looking for is something that allows as much plugged into the amp as possible (without loosing quality of course) I thought one of the nice things about the amp was its ability to take a lot of inputs after all ..

Okay so it looks like the sky box wont work with svideo, but I know the PS2 does - Ive seen this work on other systems - but I still dont get anything ... Perhaps sky+ will work with svideo ?

Again thanks for all the input Ive heard - it really does help a lot.

cheers,

Nige