1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Please Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mutation, Aug 12, 2003.

1. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm at my wits end and am wondering / praying that someone can help me, or give me an answer or a simple solution to my problems which i shall do my best to describe.

I bought a Hitachi PMA400 last week from RS. I'd read a few reviews taken my pc down to the store to test it out, it looked nice. It was within my price range, they said that what I wanted to do with it would be ok, I was happy and excited. OK i was replacing a relatively good 47" RP and a fantastic sound system with some completely new kit but i thought i'd be happy.

How wrong I was!!!

I have tried connecting my sky (via tivo) inout my PMA via a qed scart to 6 phono, then via a scart to YUV converter (from maplins)

I know a lot of people will possibly say about the js technologies one but i just wanted to try a process of elimination first.

The problem i have is that the screen gives me a v bad checkerboard effect, text is blurry and "moves" images struggle to keep up, almost like a ghosting effect. I have tried cutting tivo out and just running it direct from my amstrad digibox (still no joy)

I am now at my wits end because im by no means an expert but sky is almost unwatchable ..... i mean don't get me wrong the picture quality is ok, but nowhere near as sharp as i'd hoped or expected (or been lead to believe by reviews in some expert magazines!!!!)

The PC input still seems ok-ish, (again not quite as sharp as i'd expected) am i expecting too much, am i being a wally, is this just some stupid setting (with the checkerboard thing the manual says to adjust the phase and clock setting, the problem is you can only adjust this in rgb mode (pc vga) and not in video mode!!!!)

if anyone has come across this problem, please please please let me know how to resolve this, whether this be

A. A simple setting or converter.
    B. Taking the back to richer sounds and smashing the screen over the salesmans head who told me this would be fine
    C. Chucking the thing out of my 2nd floor windows

Thanks a lot all, im also going to ring the lovely people at Hitachi to try and get some help (As RS are useless!!!!)

Cheers

A frustrated pma owner :)

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your PMA. There are plenty of happy owners on this board, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't get around your problems somehow.

Have you tried connecting the screen to Sky using RGB+composite sync (1) directly from the Sky box and (2) from TIVO to see if the picture improves and if so, which component/converter combination seems to be the source of the problem?

What resolution are you running your PC desktop at?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    mutation

Come on - how many cries for help will you post and answers will you ignore!

Its impossible to help if you wont follow any advice - the various people who have tried to help have all advised to start with a JS RGB2YUV Converter; at least that way we have a known entity in your system.

Lest go back to basics - Did you ever see the Hitachi producing an acceptable image (for you) from a Digibox? I had one at home for a couple of weeks earlier in the year and I was never happy with its video processing!

So assuming you want to hang on to this panel go get a JS Converter plus a decent RGB SCART cable plus a decent set of YUV cables - next ensure your Digibox is outputting RGB and has its Contrast set to low.

You may also want to get a DVD set up disc - or use one of the THX set up 'features' you get on some discs; using the set-up disc on the DVD input will at least get you a decent base to start fiddling with on your DVD input and give you an idea of what you can expect to achieve with your Digibox.

Best regards

Joe

PS Of course you may have a display that's got a fault - go see (and compare) another unit at your supplier.

4. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having spoken with hitachi support they have recomeneded another cable. One from Lekropacks that is specifically desgined for the PMA400e

Joe I really appreciate all the help given to me but unlike perhaps a lot of people i am not absoloutely loaded and cannot afford to splash out 145 on a converter straight away. I have decided to try a process of elimination. The richer sounds qed lead was no good. The maplins SCART TO YUV converter is better. I am now awaiting this lead from lektropacks. I am not going to pay a 145 pounds for a lead / converter when a 45 pound one does the job just as well. I'm sorry if this comes across as rude and ungrateful but I have taken on board all the advice given to me and when and if this final lead doesn't work I will more than likely purchase the JS Converter.

The picture quality has improved greatly since I installed the YUV conveter, but I still have a problem with Sky Sports NEWS where the text on the screen will "flicker/drop a couple of mm" before shifting back into place.

Sky movies is looking great, even the football on Sky Sports is looking dramitcally better it's just this shifting of text on sky sports news.

Another positive note i'd like to add is that the VGA / PC side of the screen is fantastic and is now working really well since ive installed my Radion 8500 and change a lot of the setting in XP.

Thanks for everyones help and if anyone else has come across this "Shifting text" in sky sport news please let me know how you resolved it

Thanks again

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Mutation

I'm still not sure I understand - you ask for help and then ignore it, none of the passive RGB sync extraction cables are anywhere near as good as the JS Converter range.

Its as simple as that! If the JS Range was overpriced they would not be so popular on this board - its not like we dont know where Maplins, Keene, Lektropacks etc are; they've all been tried and tested!!!

Great to hear the PC is now working - as you've found you do need to spend a fair bit of time with the PC settings.

Best regards

Joe

6. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

I'm not igonoring the help but merely trying other avenues. The guy from Hitachi tech support informs me that the cable i've ordered from lekropacks was specially designed with the PMA400E in mind. If that doesn't work, rest assured i will be ordering the JS Converter.

I'm still not 100% sure if this will stop the flickering text on SS News though, it's very bizarre. Only happens about every 30 seconds or so. I don't know whether this is something being sent from sky that the plasma doesn't like because this doesn't happen with any other text on the screen ?? (i.e. sky menu etc etc)

7. Machine

Machine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Sky Sports text will flicker/drop a couple of mm before shifting back into place"

Is this one of the Hitachi's anti-screen burn measures perhaps ? It shifts the screen slightly when it detects an image that could potentially cause a problem.

Just a thought...

8. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Machine

I spoke to the guy at Hitachi who said the same thing. I tried the settings he suggested (Oriba ON and Moving timerSet to 30) but it still flickers,

I'll change a couple of other bits tonight, it's really strange because it only happens on that channel like I say. Me thinks it could be a signal from the sky box ???

Strange !!!

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds like you really should be trying the JS Technology RGB to Component (YUV) converter.

We've not had the problems you're experiencing with other makes reported with our products. Buy the originals!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I spoke with one of your guys yesterday and explained the problem. I'm pretty sure if the Lekropacks lead doesn't sort it I will shell out the money at the mo tho, I'm brassic, what with the pc, the screen the wallbracket, etc etc.

Many thanks for the help though all you guys, im not being ungrateful or ignorant, and i'm sure if this JS converter works i'll be praising you all up even more.

Cheers

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I have the 32pd3000 and have also noticed this happening and to be honest it's starting to bug me. Unsurprisingly my wife doesn't notice it. :mad:

Adrenochrome.

12. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    day by day my problems become less, heres the latest update

the sky sports news "shifting text" has now stopped. I reset everything then turned on the orbiter in the menu set the moving timer to 40 minutes, turned down the contrast, turned up the sharpness, turned the contrast on sky to low. and hey presto no more shifting text.

so im down to my last problem now with the fact that some colour seem to run over into others

again sky sports news (The only bloody channel i watch!!!!!) on things like banners to show whos talking or what game is on the weekend the checkerboard effect is very noticeable, and the red spills over onto the blue at a diagonal angle.

i must say the lekropacks lead made no difference and wasn't as good as the maplins scart to yuv converter but was better than the qed lead. so the qed and the lektropacks leads are both going back (I only got the lekropacks one cos the guy from hitachi tech support told me this will solve everything, it didn't. the thing is you generally tend to take notice of these people cos, well, thats their job)

i'm going to now try the js converter and will gladly eat my humble pie when it works, but as i said before i did want to try everything to see what made a difference and what didn't.

i've also managed to bugger my tivo up by setting the output to rgb output and now cnt get a bloody picture, not only that i cant change it back becuase i cant get the picture... i'll plug it into my normal tv tonight and go from there ...

slowly but surely im getting there, i think i could've probably saved myself a lot of grief had i gone for the js one in the first place, but as soon as i have installed it, i'll let you all know how i get on!!!!!

cheers as always

chris

13. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    mutation

I use the JS Technology RGB to Component (YUV) converter for my sky box and i get great results :smashin:

dvd :cool:

14. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers dvd

do you get the checkerboard effect sill or the colours spilling over ???

if not it might even be the sky signal (a weak signal perhaps)

15. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    mutation

I don't get colours spilling over or the checkerboard effect :)

dvd

16. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sweet .. i'll order one today

17. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: