1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please please help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Hi all,

I have just hooked up my PC to my Yamaha 5540RDS AV Receiver through SPDIF for the first time and.... nothing, nowt, zero - no sound at all. I have a Creative Live 5.1 card with expansion box (has an SPDIF IN and OUT as well as Optical IN and OUTs). I selected SPDIF Bypass in the Creative Audio HQ but I can't get any sound at all through the amp. Am I doing something really stupid? How do I get sound out of the SPDIF? Someone please help me!

Cheers in anticipation.

Jules

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Canary_Jules,

You haven't indicated what you're trying to play................ if you're trying to play DVD, then you've also got to access the "Audio" menu in the software dvd player (Powerdvd, Windvd etc) and set it to output SPDIF.

I know it sounds somewhat obvious - but make sure you've got the cable hooked up to the output of the soundcard etc. properly.

Sean G.

3. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only thing I can think of (it's been a couple of years since I've had a creative card) is that SP/DIF bypass "sounds" like you've set it to take an SP/DIF signal in, and put it straight out again.

Is there a setting somewhere to use SP/DIF output maybe in teh control panel applet for sound and audio devices?

4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I'm trying to play DVDs through PowerDVD and Theatertek and have certainly set them to use SPDIF. Can't get anything. I checked all the internal connections and things seem ok. I did check the online manual and it says that SPDIF Bypass allows you to route a sound via SPDIF IN to SPDIF OUT without going through the soundcard's processor. What would be the point of that though? What I want to do is to be able to play DVDs on my HCPC and output to my Yamaha AV Receiver without the soundcard doing the processing. Problem is that apart from the 'SPDIF Bypass' feature I can't see any other SPDIF facility in the Creative software that comes with the card. Any other ideas?

5. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you looked in the windows control panel setting, rather than the creative one?

6. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Yup. I've searched high and low! So how do you guys run your sound out of your pcs? Do you use SPDIF? I just want some more ideas to work on as I've tried everything I know - which isn't alot!

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One uses SP/DIF and one uses analogue outputs. Both are M-Audio cards, and both have a nice setting to change the output method.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jules,

I have used (with issues !!) a creative 5.1 Digital soundcard, but just the soundcard on its own.............. you may be having problems stemming from using the expansion box - th esoftware options that you use in the Audio control panel may be confusing things....... althiugh I could be wrong You sy you're selecting "SPDIF Bypass" - just out f curiousity, is this in the "Speakers" sub-menu in the Audio mixer in Control panel ??

There should be a "Eureka" moment in this thread....... it's just a matter of finding it !!!

Sean G.

9. 10ht

10ht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When using a 5.1 live spdif you will need a mono jack plug on the end of the interconnect that plugs into the card. Why do you need this extra box connected to the card unless its for optical connection or co-ax.

Dave

10. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I am not using the connections on the back of the card but the expansion box on the front (Live Drive IR is what it is called). I am using a digital coax cable to run to the appropriate slot on the back of the amp. The expansion box also has an optical in and out too.

11. 10ht

10ht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not familiar with that piece of kit. Can you get hold of the cable I mentioned just to test the card from the back of the card and your amp therfore eliminating both components for faults?You could use a standard co-ax interconnect with a stereo to mono jack plug?

12. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used to have an original Soundblaster Live platinum, that came with a live drive. I used to use that with an SP/DIF cable. Worked fine. I then bought a Hoontech add on card, which was pretty much a live drive but fitting in a pci slot. That worked fine. I sold them a long time ago and can't for the life of me remember how it was set up - but I do know it *should* work!

13. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I've made a little progress in that I have been able to get sound through my amp via the optical out. This sounds good but of course the sound is being processed by the card first. I can't get DTS etc. The info button on Theatertek and PowerDVD tell me that the SPDIF is in use when I play a DVD. I wonder whether the SPDIF is working on the card but the amp is just not picking it up? I'm gonna call Creative and see what they say.

14. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Still no luck yet but I have eliminated the Yammy from the list of potential culprits for this. Creative are trying to find a solution and are thinking that either my soundcard or Live Drive expansion box could be faulty in which case they are prepared to change them.

It's really frustrating but I had a taste of how good things could be when it's all working properly. Got the optical connection working (although it only works when the sound card does the decoding) last night and played Medieval Total War really LOUD through the amp across 5.1 speakers with my HS10 projecting an 8 foot image - it was just like that new TV programme on Thursday nights! Fantastic!