1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please please help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lami, Sep 19, 2005.

1. lami

lami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People will you please help! I've posted a few threads on here now asking which plasma is the best for the money i have? But i always seem to get the same thing! people saying PANNY rules and so on! Due to the fact that i know nothing about Plasma TV's this means nothing to me! So please can you give me models rather than nick names! Cheers!
    I have £1500 to spend, i would like a HD ready model but realise that for £1500 they are few and far between! So please can you recommend some models for around that price range! Also any links to these models would be appreciated! Thanks :thumbsup:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At £1500 there are only 2 models worth a second glance, the Samsung 42 S5H, and the Hitachi 6600. That is, if you want full on HD ready. Now there are 2 schools of thought about this, perhaps some others could comment too. You can get a very good HD COMPATIBLE plasma, ie one that does not carry the label, due to insufficient resolution, but is compatible with the signals, and will still display a fine picture. All the 'panny rules' comments refer to the TH42PWD8, which falls into this category. It's not a TV, but a display. You'll need some sound, (your old Hi Fi if nothing else) and a digital TV set top box to make it work. It's not very plug and play, but worth the effort to get right. It's a thought that the final results could be better this way than buying a HDTV from a lesser manufacturer. 99% of custom installers would agree with me, 99% of Hitachi owners will flame me. :D

3. lami

lami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point taken and thanks. So what plasma will give a better picture then? Is it all about the pixels? If I wasn't to get a HD ready Plasma which other plasma's out there are gonna give me the better picture quality? Links would be nice cheers! :D

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The whole point of my post was to point out it's not about the pixels, it's about the package, and the sources and connections. Pixels come into it, sure. All else being equal, more is better. If the panel only route appeals, www.panasonic.co.uk for the spec, you would not have to look far for a great deal, several retailers advertise here, and google will find you more.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It's a totally subjective thing.
    Do a search for pwd6 ,7 and 8.
    Or the 6600.
    You'll find tons of info.
    No one post can answer your question.
    Best of all, though, go and see them in action.

6. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You probably really need to decide whether you want a plasma TV or a plasma panel first. The TV will have everything you need from the start, including speakers, places to connect all your leads up to i.e. scart, something to plug your aerial in to and maybe even a built in freeview box!

The panel is just like a big computer monitor with probably only a VGA input and perhaps a DVI.

Many people believe, including myself, that you can get a far superior picture on the panels, but they can end up costing you a lot more depending on what equipment you currently have.
    Do you currently have:

Set top box i.e. sky, cable, freeview.
    Surround sound system, HiFi, DVD with surround sound etc.

If you have that already then you can get little gadgets and cables that will enable you to use the panel for about £100 or so.

The panel I have is a Panasonic TH-42PW7 and I consider my picture to be excellent.

I can certainly give you links to plasmas if you decide what sort you want. Or you could click on the majority of banners in this forum and find them.

Abs

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667

No, No, No, No No! :D

Seriously, the amount of pixels is the last thing that makes a good image. It is a bonus if it has a higher resolution.

For your budget I would only look at the Panasonic PW8.

The next HD Ready screen would be the Panasonic PHD8, and then Pioneer 436XDE and the Panasonic PV500, but personally I would take the PW8 over the PV500 and the 436XDE from what I saw of the 50" version.

8. lami

lami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ab's your not from the north east of England are you?

9. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, I live on South Coast, but I do work a lot a lot up North, mainly Sheffield but occasionally get to Newcastle.

10. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Iami - I have the TH42PWD8 that MAW mentions. This means that if I chose to take up Sky's HD offering when it comes out, I only need to purchase an input board and the screen will happily display downscaled HD material. Many on the forum believe that High Definition material on a Standard Definition panel will be a distinct improvement albeit I won't be able to take full advantage.

I chose this route for a few reasons:-
    The Panasonic PWD range gets constant support for picture and flexibility.
    I'd seen the PWD6 and PWD7 in action in various scenarios and was always impressed by it
    The 8 Series is HD Compatible
    I already have Sky+ so did not need a tuner
    I wanted to buy a separate sound setup and so had no need for built in speakers
    I wanted a large display but I did not want it to be overbearing (the TVs have built in speakers, tuners and can be really overwhelming e.g. Panasonic PV500 is huge.)
    I had a budget and I wanted a good quality screen and sound setup.

I managed all of the above with advice and reading up on this forum, in fact I ended up purchasing it all from spnsors on this forum as well. The result is on my wall in my living room and I'm well impressed with it.

If you have a strict budget for a screen then decide which route might be best for you. HD Compatible or HD Ready, Display only or TV. Hunt out places you can get to see the screens in action and let your eyes make up you mind and then hunt down the bargain.

Just remember a few items to cater for in your budget that are significant from a cost point of view, connectivity i.e. cabling and any converters that may be required if you need to go from Sky or Digital Set top box to the screen. As you are spending a good lump of cash on this item, it's probably a good idea to pick up an extended warranty.

Sorry If I've added another "panny is best" point of view but you've come to the forum for other people's opinions..........