• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please Please help SONY LCD or PIONEER PLASMA?

L

leebanun

Im in a pickle as i cannot for the life of me choose between the sony x series lcd or the pioneer PDPSX428D plasma. The cost doesnt bother me i just want the best!

I have a Sony Amp STRda5300, a PS3 and SKY HD and pioneer speakers. The pioneer ticks all the boxes but i would love the full hd thing. I have heard that at 40/42" hd ready looks the same as full hd.

As in theory almost all i watch (blu rays/dvds/sport) will be in HD should i go for the Sony? But it is hard to ignore that everyone says the pioneer is streets ahead of the field.

Please advise.......

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Some complex issues here which you should consider to help make your purchase.
Firstly plasma looks better than LCD. It has better contrast ratios (better blacks) and don't believe the manufacturer supplied contrast ratio figures.
Also plasma has no 'hotspots' where the picture looks best unlike LCD.
LCD has some advantages over plasma as well.
Also don't get too hung up on 1080p unless you will be watching the TV close enough to be able to appreciate the extra definition. By which I mean that if you sit too far away, you can't see the extra definition there anyway.
And lastly, don't Pioneer do full HD 42 inch plasmas? I don't know without checking, but I would be surprised if they didn't.
The best advice would be to compare them side by side so you can judge for yourself - but only if they have both been calibrated properly. Unfortunately, finding an AV retailer which has both the TVs you are considering on display and properly calibrated will be pretty slim.

Kyo6JM

Pioneer's 42 inch plasma only offers a resolution of 1024x768. If resolution is important to you at that size, you should try one of the new Full HD Panasonic plasmas. Or wait for the new 50 inch Pioneers (those won't be cheap, though - but they will be the best!). :)

mark800

Distinguished Member
After owning both the Sony X series and a Pioneer plasma, I can say that the plasma blows the Sony out of the water. It's like night and day.

If money is truly no object, I would wait a month and go for the new 9G Pioneer - only available in 50" and 60". I'm confident that the LX5090 will be rated as the best TV there is.

audiphile76

Im in a pickle as i cannot for the life of me choose between the sony x series lcd or the pioneer PDPSX428D plasma. The cost doesnt bother me i just want the best!

Both Sony X series and Pioneer have their own strengths and their own weaknesses. Money cannot convert their individual weaknesses to strengths, so you just need to pick the one that suits your user profile.
IMO sony x series does handle sports ok but plasma handle fast movements better.
Blacks on Sony is one of the best in LCDs but they are lagging behind a bit compared to Pio blacks.
SD is better on Pio than Sony

I have heard that at 40/42" hd ready looks the same as full hd.

As in theory almost all i watch (blu rays/dvds/sport) will be in HD should i go for the Sony? But it is hard to ignore that everyone says the pioneer is streets ahead of the field.

Please advise.......

HD Ready sets usually look better for SD. If you watch SD on a fullHD panel, it wouldnt look that sharp. Also, if you watch a 1080p material on a 42" FullHD panel from a distance of 3 meters, you will lose the high definition. At this distance, both 720p and 1080p will look similar(if not the same). So viewing distance is important to mention here in the thread so the people here can guide you properly. Bluray looks good on both.

starre

after seeing it in the shop, the top of the line SONY X is finally the first LCD that i would consider buying. the problem is that over here (israel) the 40" X is the same pricee as the HD-ready 50" KURO and 50% more than the 42" KURO. for my budget, i went with the 42" KURO and even if i had the extra cash i would have bought the 50" KURO.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Both Sony X series and Pioneer have their own strengths and their own weaknesses. Money cannot convert their individual weaknesses to strengths, so you just need to pick the one that suits your user profile.
IMO sony x series does handle sports ok but plasma handle fast movements better.
Blacks on Sony is one of the best in LCDs but they are lagging behind a bit compared to Pio blacks.
SD is better on Pio than Sony

I'm sure you were going to get round to the strengths of the Sony at some point?

This is such an easy decision, I can't believe resolution is the factor holding you back leebanun.

audiphile76

I'm sure you were going to get round to the strengths of the Sony at some point?

Just wanted to imply that i have nothing against Sony.:)

This is such an easy decision, I can't believe resolution is the factor holding you back leebanun.

It should depend also on what percentage of the time is spent on viewing SD and also viewing distance dont you think?

Yannis

IMO 428XD is a better choice than 40X3500 but worse choice than 46X3500 because size matters and 40-42 inch screens are too small for today's standards.

Of course you can always go for 508XD which is better than all the above...:D

L

leebanun

Thanks for the posts guys i really do appreciate it. A 50" isnt really an option as i will be sitting no more tham 3 metres away. Its a toss up between the two, i think if the pioneer was full hd it would win hands down. Its the old hd ready v full hd "cheshnut" at 40/42" Is the difference that noticeable?

And of course 42" is better than 40"!

Kyo6JM

Thanks for the posts guys i really do appreciate it. A 50" isnt really an option as i will be sitting no more tham 3 metres away.

My 50 inch Full HD Kuro was great at a distance of 2 to 3 meters, if all you watch will be HD you shouldn't worry about the screen being too big at that distance. If anything, it'll only seem more awesome. If you can afford it, go for the new LX5090 next month! :)

smjxm09

For picture quality there really is no choice Pioneer will win every time. Just remember that the Plasma reflects light and acts like a mirror if facing a window. It is also more suited to darker lighting conditions.

L

leebanun

Just wanted to imply that i have nothing against Sony.:)

It should depend also on what percentage of the time is spent on viewing SD and also viewing distance dont you think?

Mainly I will be watching Blu Rays, Footy HD and a bit of SD through sky hd

Yannis

Thanks for the posts guys i really do appreciate it. A 50" isnt really an option as i will be sitting no more tham 3 metres away.

IMO a 40-42" screen is too small for 3 meters while a 46" screen is ideal.

That's why i 'm upgrading to a 46" inch TV soon.:D

audiphile76

A 50" isnt really an option as i will be sitting no more than 3 metres away. Its a toss up between the two, i think if the pioneer was full hd it would win hands down. Its the old hd ready v full hd "cheshnut" at 40/42" Is the difference that noticeable?

And of course 42" is better than 40"!

At 3 meters, unless you go above 50" FullHD panel, you wont reap benefits from it. You will lose the high definition of the feed unnoticed. Its the same feeling if you had a HD ready panel instead(some with more sensitive eyes will definitely beg to differ here). If you dont want to go above 50" then settle for a 42 HD ready panel instead of 1080p panel.

L

leebanun

100% certain it cannot be bigger than 42"

Im starting to sway to wards the sony as i have posted this in the lcd forums. Its the resolution thats gonna be the winner as most of what i watch will be hd or upscaled.

Plus with sitting 2.8m - 3m away i think i will benefit

Am i correct in thinking this?

audiphile76

100% certain it cannot be bigger than 42"

Im starting to sway to wards the sony as i have posted this in the lcd forums. Its the resolution thats gonna be the winner as most of what i watch will be hd or upscaled.

Plus with sitting 2.8m - 3m away i think i will benefit

Am i correct in thinking this?

At a viewing distance of 3 meters, there is no way you can make out the difference between 720p and 1080p with a 40" or 42". Its a different story if you sit only 5 feet from the screen.
Check the chart here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=1

-Ad-

You keep talking about resolution, and the LCD boys will bang on about it, but you forget that your eyes will not actually be able to tell the difference bewteen the number of pixels at that distance, unless you have 'spidey super eyes'.

Picture quality is not measured solely on the number of pixels, and from my tests the pioneer picture was easily better than the sony 1080p which looked too sharp and slightly cartoony, compared to the more realistic Pio representation.

Even when I compared the Pio to the panasonic PZ70 and sony X(3000/3500) close up (~4-5ft) with my PS3 attached, the Pio still looked better even though I could start to see the pixels.

L

leebanun

I would of thought the closer you sit the more you would notice 1080p.

Also i keep reading that the pio is far in front of the sony with SD but is that gap shortened when it comes to HD?

I read what hifi and with the pio being its 2007 winner both sets are 5 star tvs

I am swaying backwards and forwards all the time between these two tvs.

Anyone got that one bit of advice that would seal the deal?

audiphile76

I would of thought the closer you sit the more you would notice 1080p.

This is true.

Also i keep reading that the pio is far in front of the sony with SD but is that gap shortened when it comes to HD?

I read what hifi and with the pio being its 2007 winner both sets are 5 star tvs

I am swaying backwards and forwards all the time between these two tvs.

Anyone got that one bit of advice that would seal the deal?

Pioneer is a leader in Plasma like Sony X series is for LCD but that doesnt mean that both these are equal in all departments! Both are good in HD quality but pioneer steals the show when it comes to SD. Also in HD when it comes to shadow details, natural color depiction, blacks and handling motion, pioneer is by far the best suited to the critical eye. I have been in a similar situation between Panny and W3000 few months back but ultimately decided to sway this side for obviously the above reasons(especially having owned a Sony LCD earlier, i did know what to look for, when doing the next purchase)!

mark800

Distinguished Member
I bought a Sony X series. It seemed great, until the image moved. I couldn't cope with the blurring. 100Hz helps with LCD but just cannot match plasma. LCDs look great on a still image. However, video is rarely still.

HD makes the effect of the blurring worse. You sit there praying that a camera pan stops with an LCD, then everything snaps into focus. Horrible.

I think that you'll buy a plasma now or later, once you realise the defects of LCD.

If you are very concerned about resolution, then just buy a Pioneer LX5090 for £2400.

audiphile76

I bought a Sony X series. It seemed great, until the image moved. I couldn't cope with the blurring. 100Hz helps with LCD but just cannot match plasma. LCDs look great on a still image. However, video is rarely still.

I have read this numerous times on LCD forum leebanun please cross-check my statement if you wish, that even LCDs with 100Hz, people just switch it off since it causes other viewing problems. Another example from sony is the 32D3000 where 100Hz is usually disabled by many

HD makes the effect of the blurring worse. You sit there praying that a camera pan stops with an LCD, then everything snaps into focus. Horrible.

i wouldnt say that panning shots are flawless on plasma either, but i would say its better than an LCD. My reference is 42PX80, so i might be wrong when it comes to this superior Pioneer!

I think that you'll buy a plasma now or later, once you realise the defects of LCD.

If you are so bothered about resolution, then just buy a Pioneer LX5090 for £2400.

I couldnt agree more :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom