• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please Please help SONY LCD or PIONEER PLASMA

L

leebanun

Im in a pickle as i cannot for the life of me choose between the sony x series lcd or the pioneer PDPSX428D plasma. The cost doesnt bother me i just want the best!

I have a Sony Amp STRda5300, a PS3 and SKY HD and pioneer speakers. The pioneer ticks all the boxes but i would love the full hd thing. I have heard that at 40/42" hd ready looks the same as full hd.

As in theory almost all i watch (blu rays/dvds/sport) will be in HD should i go for the Sony? But it is hard to ignore that everyone says the pioneer is streets ahead of the field.

Please advise.......

-Ad-

Come back to the plasma area we love you there :D

Pioneer all the way, I compared these 2 sets in store directly with SD footage, and also plugged in my PS3 for blu-rays and gaming.

Sony is horrifically overpriced and the Pio had better PQ in every area, especially moving images and black levels.

spwolf

Standard Member
Come back to the plasma area we love you there :D

Pioneer all the way, I compared these 2 sets in store directly with SD footage, and also plugged in my PS3 for blu-rays and gaming.

Sony is horrifically overpriced and the Pio had better PQ in every area, especially moving images and black levels.

there is no way PQ will be better on 720p plasma than state of the art 1080p LCD.

If you are looking at mostly HD sources, then only way to go 1080p LCD or Plasma, with Plasma having better blacks, better SD and LCD being a lot sharper (both at 1080p).

YellowSphere

there is no way PQ will be better on 720p plasma than state of the art 1080p LCD.
Resolution isn't everything.

The X3000/3500 is a great HD performer, but the Pioneer is the best all-round 42" television for my money.

spwolf

Standard Member
Resolution isn't everything.

The X3000/3500 is a great HD performer, but the Pioneer is the best all-round 42" television for my money.

all around sure, but for 1080i/p HD sources, lets face it - not really.

I love my Panny 720p Plasma, but sharpness is leaving a lot to be desired when you have Sky HD or PS3.

I dont care about PlasmaVsLCD debate, I am in the same situation as OP, and I have had rellay good Panny Plasma for full year now.

My PS3 and Sky HD look awesome on 720p Plasma... really do. But at the same time, 1080P looks a LOT better.

YellowSphere

all around sure, but for 1080i/p HD sources, lets face it - not really.
To be honest, even if I was exclusively watching 1080p I'd still go for the Pioneer because the difference in black performance (in a dark room anyway) and motion handling is far more noticeable to me than lower resolution/downscaling issues.

spwolf

Standard Member
To be honest, even if I was exclusively watching 1080p I'd still go for the Pioneer because the difference in black performance (in a dark room anyway) and motion handling is far more noticeable to me than lower resolution/downscaling issues.
i guess to each his own, but I cant get over slightly blurier image... I was really impressed with PS3 output at 1080P LCD - I am sure Plasma at 1080P is good, but at this point, its expensive.

I also have to say that I sit relativly closely to 50" Plasma, so that might be part of it.

-Ad-

If you are looking at mostly HD sources, then only way to go 1080p LCD or Plasma, with Plasma having better blacks, better SD and LCD being a lot sharper (both at 1080p).

Lol 'state of the art' :thumbsup:

As mentioned by others, a number of people still prefer the image on a Kuro compared to a 1080p, 100hz, 999999999:1 contrast ratio LCD. LCDs have come on a long way, but still don't produce anything except a sharp, non-burnable image. The motion blur is still annoying and movie performance leaves a lot to be desired, and don't even get me started on blacks.

This is moving into a debate again, but look hat the op said he would be using the tv for
(blu rays/dvds/sport)
. Movies and moving images is one area where you cannot argue to get an LCD over a plasma, so why do people still go on about LCDs when a plasma suits the OPs needs.

Can people get over the faboy stances with resolution, screenburn etc, and look at what people ask for. I compared soo many tvs, and although the Kuro had the best PQ, it fitted in with what I would use it for. That's what people need to look at and not 'Get this tv because 1080p ROX !'

southdownswolf

At 2.8m you will not be able to notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 42", maybe on 60". The Pioneer will be better for your needs if it is sport and movies that you are watching. The motion handling, realistic colours and black levels can not be beaten (except possibly by the new Pioneers due to come out next month). If you play a lot of games, then the Sony may be worth it, but for your needs, stick to the Pioneer. :thumbsup:

spwolf

Standard Member
Lol 'state of the art' :thumbsup:

As mentioned by others, a number of people still prefer the image on a Kuro compared to a 1080p, 100hz, 999999999:1 contrast ratio LCD. LCDs have come on a long way, but still don't produce anything except a sharp, non-burnable image. The motion blur is still annoying and movie performance leaves a lot to be desired, and don't even get me started on blacks.

This is moving into a debate again, but look hat the op said he would be using the tv for . Movies and moving images is one area where you cannot argue to get an LCD over a plasma, so why do people still go on about LCDs when a plasma suits the OPs needs.

Can people get over the faboy stances with resolution, screenburn etc, and look at what people ask for. I compared soo many tvs, and although the Kuro had the best PQ, it fitted in with what I would use it for. That's what people need to look at and not 'Get this tv because 1080p ROX !'
eh.

And I am an Plasma owner who is very happy with his Panny Plasma. And have exactly the same setup as OP.

He is going to see big difference in sharpness between 1080P LCD and 720p Plasma, Kuro or no Kuro.

I know, as I am in the same situation.

TonyR321

Standard Member
About a year ago I had the same situation. The only way you can decide is to compare both side by side and with same picture source. Walking into the store having made up my mind to get the Sony 46X.... (due to a review I read at the time) the Pioneer 507 was so much better with all picture sources it was untrue. Compared SD, BBC HD and Blu ray demo disk.

No doubt LCD have improved in that time, but cant see it improving that much. And the 508 does look better again to the 507.

In the end only you can decide.

Having said all that i am getting a 32" LCD for office, but am not that fusy about picture quality in the office and will be used as a presentation tool as well.

mont1uk

Theres really no contest for your needs and imo overall, the pio is by far and away the better picture. I have a 4280XD and a W3000 ( i know your talking about the X series ) and its surprising how noticeable the difference really is once you get them side by side.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom