1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Need Help with Liteon 5005

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sooty, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having trouble with my Liteon 5005 (Feb 2004)recorder it seems to have a mind of its own
    When I switch the unit on it switches itself off.
    When I enter Setup the curser runs round the screen willy nilly and I have difficulty holding it in one position.
    I managed to scan for Tv stations but when I enter the screen to put the stations in order the curser jumps round the screen at random and I cannot do anything with it.
    Also when I switch the unit off it sometimes switches on again after about 2 minutes and keeps switching on till I pull the plug.
    I have been to the liteon site and installed the latest firmware but this made no difference at all
    I am so fed up with it that it looks a like it may be going in the bin shame really as up to a month ago I had no trouble at all with it

2. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump

3. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would update you with the latest news, I RMAed the machine and yesterday I recieved a brand new 5005 it looks identical to the old one except that it has component progressive out the old one only had scart.

Well I connected it to the TV (Toshiba 46WM48) via scart switched on and it acts exactly the same as the old machine that I sent back i.e. the cursor has a mind of its own when I enter the Setup Menu or Easy Guider Menu and is very difficult to control, I managed eventually to tune it in to my antenna and the picture is ok it dawned on me that the 5005 might not like the scart connection from the 5005 to the Toshiba so I removed the scart and connected via component this was a much cleaner and solid picture than the scart but I still had the same trouble with the cursor.

I got in touch with Liteon support and told him the latest machine was acting just the same as the one I had sent back, he asked me to insert a DVD to see if it would play, it played I Robot faultlessly beautiful picture (much better than the old one) then he asked me to go into the Setup Menu and the cursor was all over the screen he asked me to read him the firmware number and the third set of numbers read 0090
    (I thought 0080 was the latest firmware) He said he would send me a new firmware disk through the post to see if this sorted it out, but in the meantime to try and record with the machine and let him know how I got on.

I inserted the DVD+RW disk that came with the recorder and recorded for 10 mins all seemed OK until I tried to play it back where it came up INVALID DISK please replace.
    I tried several times and the same thing happened so I erased the disk and turned off.
    I came back to the machine 2hrs later and tried to Record with the same disk as before and it Recorded and played back faultlessly
    I just don't understand it?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The solution to your problem is most likely sticking it back in the box and getting a refund.

However maybe the remote sensor is getting erratic information from somewhere. Does the sun shine directly on the recorder or are there fluroscent lights nearby? Have you got rechargable batteries in the remote control? Could the remote control have a stuck button?

Are there are special modifications to your house's aerial or mains supply like voltage on the RF aerial cable for special interfaces like multiroom sky remote sensor's?

5. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooty, how did you contact Liteon support? I need to call them but can't find a number.

6. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I came to the machine today it was spitting disks out like there is no tomorrow each record attempt was greeted with a FAIL and an INVALID DISK the guy at tec support said it was definitely a firmware problem and he has put me a firmware disk in the post.

scitech The number I ring is 02073652401

7. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thank you sir!

8. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would update you, I received the latest firmware for the machine and it would not look at it it just said Data Disk and sat there the machine would not update, So I went to the Liteon site and downloaded from there LNFBE098.ES5 put this in the machine and it updated but it made no difference to the troubles I am having with the machine.

Thinking back my troubles started about the same time as I changed my TV a Samsung 32" Plano ( which I gave to my daughter ) for a Toshiba 46WM48 DLP Rear Projection so I thought maybe the Liteon don't like the Tosh so I disconnected the Liteon and took the machine to my daughters and set it up on the Samsung it works perfectly on the samsung without a hint of of the trouble I am getting at home with it connected to the Tosh.

I have tried all the connections between the Liteon and the Toshiba i.e. Scart,AV and Component none of them seem to cure the problem, I tried disconnecting everthing from the TV and just leaving the Liteon connected but it is just the same.
    I am really lost now, Is anyone in this forum using a Liteon 5005 connected to a Tohiba 46WM48 if so are they having any trouble with this combination?

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Maybe the Liteon is poorly shielded and the Toshiba has a meaty power supply or speakers. Can you correct the problem by moving the Liteon as far away from the Toshiba as possible?

10. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only get the Liteon about 3 feet away (the length of the scart) and that makes no difference

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Two things you could try;

Bacofoil, try temporarily shielding the Liteon with a load of bacofoil so any airborne electronic/RF interference is blocked (don't block liteon's vents though if it has any). Another thing is to get a mains extension and connect your Liteon to a mains socket somewhere else, preferably in another room.

12. Sooty

Sooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to tidy the cables at the back of the TV I sleeved all the mains cables together and shortened the Aeriel cables, Re-Routed the signal cables and shortened them with tie wraps basically to try and keep them away from any mains cables this has to a great extent cured my cursor problem I only get an occasional blip as though I have pressed the remote twice does this sound right or is it wishful thinking on my part?

I will have to try recording now and see if that works OK