• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Please look over this proposed PC build

Mike RB

I've posted a few months ago about a PC build but I'm ready to do this now, and can't really hold out any longer as my laptop just isn't cutting it any longer.

I'm wanting a build to run Lightroom 6 primarily so my specs are based around that use. I'm on a budget. The cheaper the better but for the sake of a few quid, I'd pay a bit more. Id want this to last 2-3 years ideally. In the future, I'd likely put a cheap video card in for some light gaming.

The case stumped me. There is so much choice. I've gone Micro ATX as I'm tight on space and have a small desk.

Intel i5-4690k
Asus H81M-plus Micro ATX board
Cosair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Zalman T3 Mini M-atx tower
TP link 300Mbps PCI-e adapter
WD Blue 1TB SATA HDD
EVGA 500W PSU

I'll be using a Samsung 120GB as my boot drive. Am I missing anything? Should I consider swapping out to 16GB?

This comes to £360 which is more than I'd like to spend ideally. I did consider the G3258 CPU but not sure it'll be enough for Lightroom. I'm currently using a laptop based around a B960 processor and it's very sluggish in Lightroom.

rbazley

Novice Member
Hi, Looks like a decent build. I've never used Lightroom as editing isn't something I've ever needed to do, but would it not benefit from a dedicated graphics card? The integrated graphics on the i5's aren't great and may slow you down (Though you can always add one later).

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
How many photos are you looking at indexing in Lightroom as that will determine what your system specs will be.

GPU acceleration is for the develop mode so depends on what you are doing in it.

Mike RB

I understand Lightroom is more dependant on CPU than video. I might be wrong on this. The plan is to build a PC that is reasonable with a view to add a video card at a later date.

I'm indexing around 3,000 images currently. The issue I'm finding with my Dual core B960 is when moving sliders in develop mode. The changes to the image take so long to catch up that I can't make fine adjustments.

I've swapped the case to an ATX case and also to an ATX MB with 4 RAM slots to make future upgrades easier.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
You shouldn't have any issues I don't think with the suggested spec for that number of images (and more)

If you compare the processors then the new one is at least 4 times faster on the CPU Pass mark.

PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison[]=1095&cmp[]=2284

Also a combination of SSD where you can store the library catalog, though if you haven't already bought it would go for at least at 250GB one to give you plenty of room.

Laptops tend to be a combination of "slow" dual core and slow disk that can give you a lack of performance.

Also if you are accessing your files off the network I would recommend hard wired gigabit rather than wireless.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom