• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Please Help!

ewell

Established Member
Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to all this. I have just bought the Panasonic 37lzd800 and I am struggling with a small issue.

I have it connected to my Onkyo 606 via the HDMI out socket and this is going into the HDMI 1 socket on the TV. My Oppo 981hd is connected via HDMI to the Onkyo 606 HDMI socket 1 for DVD player. The throughput is working great when playing DVD's. The sound and video performance are beautiful.

Now I have read the manuals and I have to say it has all been a bit much as all this equipment and technology is very new to me.

I am struggling to understand why the sound from my TV is not playing through my av receiver and the speakers I have connected to it. Do I need to plug in a digital optical cable? I though the HDMI connection was enough.

I will be honest and say I am really unsure how I need to do this and I am even unsure what I am supposed to press on the remote to hear it.

Please excuse my ignorance and I a apologise as I know the answer has to be obvious but I am really suffering from manual and technical overload this evening. :lease:

Cheers as always. Regards Paul

p.s. Oh and another thing my lzd800 did not come with a picture in picture button on the remote. I got it from John Lewis is this normal?

Last edited:
no mate the Tv should a digital Optical which you need connect to the amp this way

:)

ps i mean connect a optical cable from your Tv to your amp and there should be sound

Last edited:
regarding the Pip question if its anything like samsung Lcd's there is no button on the remote you have to go into settings to get it :smashin:

Last edited:

ewell

Established Member
no mate the Tv should a digital Optical which you need connect to the amp this way

:)

ps i mean connect a optical cable from your Tv to your amp and there should be sound

Thanks for your help mate and excuse my ignorance but I thought you could carry sound over 1.3 HDMI ?

simon11

Established Member
The Hdmi cable is one way. It takes sound to the tele but can't fetch it back. You need either to connect a digital input sound cable or an optical. You can also connect two analog sound leads.

ewell

Established Member
The Hdmi cable is one way. It takes sound to the tele but can't fetch it back. You need either to connect a digital input sound cable or an optical. You can also connect two analog sound leads.

Thanks for confirming i have ordered a new digital optical cable! :D

ewell

Established Member
Just to say thanks again chaps as the optical cable I ordered is plugged in and working a treat! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom