1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Syberyan, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I just got my Panasonic 42" PHW5 a few days ago. The picture is great but the flicker bothers me way too much!

At first I thought a progressive signal would do the trick, but after reading a bit on this forum i learned it's really a screen problem.
    I don't have a progressive scan dvd player yet, so i can't test it.

Would the flicker be reduced by using a p. scan player? I found something about a scaler and D5 that makes flicker disappear. I'm a newbie so if somebody could tell me what these things are and if they really eliminate the flicker I would appreciate! It's killing me!

thx a lot!

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Why put up with it? Most Plasmas screens do not flicker.

Talk to your supplier tell them you will not tolerate the flicker - unless you agreed to do so in advance which is unlikely. If it is a bad screen then a replacement may be OK alternatively get a different screen. Be clear as to what you want ie you would accept e.g. another Panasonic screen but if that is no good you want your money back or another screen altogether.

Do not leave it as it gets more difficult to reject goods the longer you have had them.

3. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I really want to be sure there's nothing to cure it. From what I read other people noticed flicker too. It's not visible on dark and fast moving images. Only on bright and static parts of the image.

4. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    :hiya:

That's why i went for the Hitachi pma400e it's steady as a rock :D
    The panny 5 flicker would drive me mad and it's an expensive way to stop flicker.

the blacks are not as good as the panny 5 but the Hitachi's steady picture makes up for it :D

dvd

5. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would the pro scan help?

If it doesn't i really need to get rid of it ...

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Syberyan,

I'm 99% sure it stops flicker

can someone please correct me if i'm wrong!!

dvd

7. Syberyan

Syberyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just did a little experiment by hooking up my PC directly to the plasma VGA input. It makes a *huge* difference.

When playing DVD's or watching pics through the PC the image is (almost) perfectly stable. To notice any flicker u need put your nose at 2" from the screen and display a bright image.

I'm a bit calmed down now that i know the plasma can do a lot better! I guess VGA is progressive so can i expect the same image form a pro scan dvd player?

ah, i also got the tuner. I'm starting to feel maybe that wasn't the best option ...

thx for your replies so far!