1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mattheu, Mar 13, 2003.

1. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has aked me to help connect his equipment up TONIGHT and has he has a digital TV and wants to use his existing dig. cable set up , I'm confused as he only has one RGB scart .
    Sony 28 w/s 2 scarts one RGB ( manual recommed connection of VCR to scrt 2 for rec. of dig. picture.
    Sony DVD ( rgb out )
    Sony VCR
    Cable box dig. (RGB out)

What should I connent t what?
    Should I still connet the VCR to the cable, can I what theVCR through the cable then? of just rec. the cable.
    Two scarts 3 bits of equipment, do I need a switching scart box, is this the only way?, he would like it all done this evening.
    Any advice is much apprecaited.

PS what pin is cut to stop the video from auto channel selection on play ( that a query for me on an unrelated issue.

2. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the DVD have a scart input and output??

If so you could loop the Cable box through the DVD, which would connect to the RGB scart.

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    mattheu

You can connect the video out and audio out of your dvd player to the video in and audio in of your vcr and connect the video out and audio out of the vcr to your av lines of your tv. and use the free rgb scart on the tv to hook up the cable box.

just a suggestion , at least this way you can watch everything.

evans

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    This will only give you composite so be warned, I would bu a scart switcher. less than £20 unless DVD has 2 scarts in which case go like this TV-AV1(RGB)>DVD>CABLE>VCR>AV2

I think its pin9 you need to snip to stop auto switching but i havent met many VCRs that use pin 9!!!

5. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVD has only one scart.
    The video switching problem, is because on my fs76 in PAP mode, if I use the RHS screen to find 'clear' tape on the videoto record, every time I pressw play the damn picture on the LHS ( what I'm trying to whatch, or not upset the missues as she watching )changes to the VCR.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you google for scart diagram that should help. I bought a 4 way scart switch (auto switch ) from Dixons for £15 its a JVC component and the lead is gold plated, I cant see any signal degradation on my TV using GC in RGB and DVD in RGB, it works fine. only problem i could see is if you were to try and watch a DVD and record cable. But thats unlikly. Or a Quattro will do the job but at £60-100 it might be a bit much. Why they dont make TVs with 4 scarts 3 RGB and one S-vid i will never know!!!

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mattheu, this 'friend', is it you? :D

8. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its not, you cheeky chap. But he thinks I know it all, and I don't want to dissapoint.
    To be honest as i've got 4 scarts on me fs76, its not been an issue, though component would have been more help full, and as I've never had to think about it,I said to my friend, 'I'll help you, you senial old bugger ( he's 60 ) 'then realise he have 2 scarts and now wish I'd not opened my big mouth.