Please help

TWOFISH

Standard Member
Please help, I am a computer dummy. My daughter has a windows pc set up with a wireless connection through a netgear router. I have bought a new Imac and currently I am having a nightmare getting onto the internet and setting up my e mail account. Will the router work with a windows and an Imac at the same time, are the configerations on the router compatable for both systems?

Many Thanks for any advice received

williemaykit

Please help, I am a computer dummy. My daughter has a windows pc set up with a wireless connection through a netgear router. I have bought a new Imac and currently I am having a nightmare getting onto the internet and setting up my e mail account. Will the router work with a windows and an Imac at the same time, are the configerations on the router compatable for both systems?

Many Thanks for any advice received

Both machines can be on the Internet at the same time. All you need to do is click on the Airport icon in the menu bar (near the clock) and select your wireless network. If you have set up security on the network, it will prompt you for a password otherwise you are ready to go. If there is a password, enter the password and click OK. You are then ready to go.

If you do not have security on your wireless network, I would strongly suggest that you switch to the highest level that your router/computers will support. It is pretty easy to set it up on a Netgear (refer to the documentation that came with the router or on the CD). Where possible, I would recommend using WPA/WPA2. The iMac will support both. Only Windows XP with Service Pack 2 supports WPA. Without security, anyone can connect to your network and download inappropriate data (e.g. movie piracy or other content) for which you are liable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom