1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John Watts, Jan 13, 2002.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sorry to bug you all but if anyone can help please do i know its a bit of a boring thread for some of you but im a beginner in need.
    Please help with Denon 3801 problem!
    Hello all i wonder if anyone can help me with a problem i have?

I own a Denon 3801,
    my equipment ie (dvd vcr sky) are all connected to the amp
    and i just use the moniter out from the amp going to my tv (Sony rear pro)
    untill today i just used a composite cable with no problems other than the quality obviously. Well today i removed that composite cable and put in a new s-video to scart (all 21 pins connected) but the signal is not getting through to the tv.
    Any ideas? do i need to tell the amp im using the different cable if so how? i ran the cable from my dvd player straight to the tv just to check the cable was ok and it worked fine.
    I would be gratefull of any help,thank you.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running all the video through the amp is not always the best way. More and more people are avoiding this and routing it all via the tv (except the digital audio).

If you do insist on having lower video quality by routing if via the amp, you need to make sure your s-video to scart lead is the right way round. These are usually one direction only.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst I don't disagree that in theory, what you say is true,
    1) The extent to which it is true is dependent on a number of factors, not least the quality of the components and connections. As a component, the Denon 3801 is very good and probably degrades the signal little, if at all
    2) It is a VERY convenient way of operating.

Routing everything via the amp is what I do, through educated choice and experience, rather than through theoretical argument.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the case of my current JVC and previous Panasonic televisions the s-video signal is not automatically recognized.

Have a look at the picture set up menu and you may find that on certain scart sockets you are given the choice of composite or s-video.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are factors which can effect the peformance of both methods.

When i was referring to video quality, i was aiming more at the inability to use Component video or RGB. The degredation of the video quality is a possibility. Also, routing the items through the tv is also very convenient as no audio switching is needed apart from the DVD player.

My example would be my own set up:

DVD > TV (Component video)
    Sky > TV (RGB scart)
    Sky > VCR (composite scart)
    TV > AMP (2x phono)
    DVD > AMP (optical)

Very simple wiring it up but the main benefit is the component video and the RGB.

The only potential problem is that some televisions don't pass the audio quality very well.

6. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Previously were all your components connected to your amp via composite, if so to obtain a picture from your amp using the s video lead, all your components will have to now be connected via s video leads, as i don't think any amp can convert a composite picture to s video.

Ten

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    TEN has hit the nail right on the head....

If all your scources, (VCR, SKY, etc) are all connected via composite connection, and then you use a s-video cable from your amp to your TV, you aren't going to see anything!! As the composite signal paths and s-video paths are separate circuits within your amp!!

IF you want to use s-video connections, then you'll have to replace all your composite cables, but your VCr won't have this connection unless its a S-VHS, and most Sky boxes only output RGB or composite, no s-video.