1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please HELP

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Belamos, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Belamos

Belamos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Readers

Before i begin i just like to state im not very clever when it comes to technology so if its something simple forgive me. Ive not long had a new panasonic 36pf10 which i really like but when i play anamorphic dvds of any region with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 the the picture isnt dead center, the whole image is lifted up slightly so the bottom black bar is thicker than the top. At first this didnt annoy me as i was losing any of the picture.

But then i put on a anamorphic Region 1 dvd with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and and to my horror theres a thick black bar just at the bottom of the screen. So all i can presume is that im missing some of the top of the picture because of this black bar.

I then tryed a anamorphic Region 2 dvd with the 1.85:1 ratio and it was fine. I then checked my whole collection and it only does it with american dvds.

So PLEASE if anyone can help me i would very grateful. My dvd player is a samsung 709 if this helps in helping me.
    :confused:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Don't worry you are not thick. In fact, you are quite clever for realsiing it was just on NTSC material! That is the key.

Your TV , like eveyone elses these days, stores settings for geometry and convergence of the red/green/blue dependant on incoming signal frequency. It's been factory set correctly for PAL material. Well, actually it probably hasn't but the faults on PAL are likely just not as obvious. NTSC set up is obviously well out of whack. With a test disc like AVIA or V.E. you could fix this yourself if you knew how to get in to service menu. However, I would suggest you get the supplier to get a service tech out to adjust it properly. If they don't have a NTSC test disc with geometry patterns then I would suggest you find someone who has.

Good luck,

Gordon

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my Toshiba set. However, the Toshiba service menu makes it easy to change the positioning for NTSC and PAL individually. I know nothing about the Panasonic tvs but as Gordon has said, get the warrenty people out to correct it.

4. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Gordon can you tell me where I might get a test disc like AVIA or V.E. and are they easy to use i.e. are they menu driven and easy to understand.

5. Belamos

Belamos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help ive since had someone come out to me and the tvs now fine.