1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Lincoln_Imp, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Lincoln_Imp

Lincoln_Imp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite new to AV and would greatly appreciate some help as where to start on putting together a new system.

Ideally, would prefer a one make solution; something which is fairly easy to set-up and operate; and provides decent music playback, music being more important than video, (70/30 usage) and which also looks good. Have a budget of circa £5000 for dvd, ampliifer, speakers, cables etc.

Have been considering Arcam, one concern is given that the DV79 and AVR300 are around 2 years old, are replacements due soon? But obviously well respected. Have also looked at Marantz DV7600 but it's natural partner appears to be the SR8500 but the dvi switching is a turn-off, although it's not vital, I can see the point of HDMI switching and would pursue that route if such switching is really something you guys would recommend as future proofing. I guess another alternative is Primare, which I have read about on the forums but have no experience or knowledge of whatsoever. I know a new Pioneer dvd player and receiver is imminent but each appears very complex, and my previous experience of Pioneer (admittedly many years ago) was a very bright sound, which clearly can be mitigated through careful speaker matching. As regards speakers, again I've been busy reading the posts here and Quads and MA Radius seem popular - ideally would like slim and attractive floorstanders for fronts and surrounds if my budget allows.

I live in Lincoln and we are restricted for hifi dealers -a very small Superfi and a Sevenoaks (though Notingham, Sheffield etc are within easy reach) I ventured into the latter today and the guy tried to sell me the Arcam duo as the solution to all my problems... I also visited a Sheffield dealer a few weeks ago and his solution was a Linn Unidisk SC (an HDMI version apparently is launched next month) and an AV5125 (on offer at £1200 as apparently recently replaced) into Kef Q Speakers, breaking the budget but bearable.

I can't demo the Linn and Arcam, let alone Primare, together anywhere locally and am getting more and more confused!

Help! :lease:

2. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam has a great record of providing an upgrade path to their components so if there are updated models brought out you should be ok. dont forget that Arcam arent like the Japanese companies that seem to update their components every year without fail ;)

I would imagine that the AVR300 would get HDMI at some point like the AVP700 has, but if thats not important to you, i dont really see any other upgrades coming up within the next year or so. HD-DVD and Blu ray are the next "big thing" and they are still a year or so away from even entering the market, let alone being worth upgrading to. The AVR300 has 7.1 inputs as well, so you can add another decoder in the future.

Its hard if you cant hear things before you buy, i dont think you can go wrong with Arcam though - i fell in love with them 8 years ago and havent looked elsewhere since :)